Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French Eye Test

French Eye Test

Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light
Default French Eye Test

Hi all,

Went for my first eye test with an opthalmologist here this morning. It cost 47 euros and it didn't seem great to me. I was in there all of 5 minutes. He asked if I could read the letters, (3 lines were displayed so I asked which one) He replied, the smallest. I read it and he said OK, then repeated with the left eye. A very quick look with a bright light in both eyes, not up close and personal as in the UK. (Not that I'd have wanted him up close and personal!) He then removed the gizmo that you look through and asked me to read the smallest line on the wall. I failed on one letter. He handed me my prescription, no explanation, and showed me the door. I asked if my reading prescription had changed and he said I needed bi-focals! Never had a distance prescription before, nor do I feel that I need one. By this time, I felt it was a bit of a waste of time, so beat a hasty retreat. He asked no questions about medication or family history. Gutted about the 47 euros. I should add that 4 people went in before me and they were all in and out in 5 minutes, so it seemed to be the norm.

I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

Thanks as always..
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:37 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: French Eye Test

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Hi all,

Went for my first eye test with an opthalmologist here this morning. It cost 47 euros and it didn't seem great to me. I was in there all of 5 minutes. He asked if I could read the letters, (3 lines were displayed so I asked which one) He replied, the smallest. I read it and he said OK, then repeated with the left eye. A very quick look with a bright light in both eyes, not up close and personal as in the UK. (Not that I'd have wanted him up close and personal!) He then removed the gizmo that you look through and asked me to read the smallest line on the wall. I failed on one letter. He handed me my prescription, no explanation, and showed me the door. I asked if my reading prescription had changed and he said I needed bi-focals! Never had a distance prescription before, nor do I feel that I need one. By this time, I felt it was a bit of a waste of time, so beat a hasty retreat. He asked no questions about medication or family history. Gutted about the 47 euros. I should add that 4 people went in before me and they were all in and out in 5 minutes, so it seemed to be the norm.

Thanks as always..
I had an eye test in Paris last week and it was quite the opposite experience. It was very high tech and lasted far too long for my liking, about half an hour of a wide array of different tests coming from this vast machine, asking me to compare endless coloured dots, houses, shapes, letters etc etc. Cost 60 euros.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

seems like you may have a dud opthalmologist. Our experiences here have been excellent. In the uk I was told off for being a 'fussy mum' for asking for repeated eye tests for my son (he kept failing 3D) despite my husband being effectively blind in his right eye. Nothing was offered him in the way of glasses. Herein france the machines were barely at his eye when the opthalmologist asked if he wore glasses; when I said no he was furious and said that it was too late now to be fully corrected and so my son will wear glasses all his life. My husband too only found out here in france that he still needs to try and correct and exercise his blind eye or he will see double very soon. So you can see our experiences have been very useful and helpful. I'd demand a revisit , or a second opinion if i were you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I should be having one within a fortnight - thankfully I have private insurance which will reimburse the full amount. Will let you know of my experiences.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:40 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had a bit of a bump on the head a few years ago I ended up with prisms cos there was two of everything Anyway that past by and my vision returned to almost normal. I tend when I go for an eye test to opt for the Opthamology dept in the nearest city hospital Tests are always more thorough although I am having no joy in sorting a Tracking issue with the eye balls, Its something to do with basilly the eyes dont move in orbit together, The ophthalmologist just keeps sending me to a re education person to try and manually repair the damaged muscles . Any road I have become so disheartened by the French approach to eye care that im considering jumping on a plane.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 5th 2009 at 4:23 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

I have had two eye tests over here and they have both been really thorough, similar to my experiences in the UK. The first one spoke english which was handy as it was the week after we arrived and I had left my specs on the boat and so had conjunctivitis from wearing contact lenses. No idea of the cost though as I was buying specs anyway, in fact I think he said he hadn't charged me. I have a slight squint and was highly amused to be told recently that I can't actually see things in 3D - which is precicely what I have a degree in
I feel they are pretty keen to hand out perscriptions here, my daughter had to go through the rigmarole (and expense) of a special clinic RV, where she was promptly dealt the mildest prescrption possible for glasses she doesn't seem to need. I bet no-one comes out of there without a script... And she had a series of re-education classes which were of questionable use - we later found out the lady had almost been struck off for malpractice
You can't always trust these professionals......
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
I have had two eye tests over here and they have both been really thorough, similar to my experiences in the UK. The first one spoke english which was handy as it was the week after we arrived and I had left my specs on the boat and so had conjunctivitis from wearing contact lenses. No idea of the cost though as I was buying specs anyway, in fact I think he said he hadn't charged me. I have a slight squint and was highly amused to be told recently that I can't actually see things in 3D - which is precicely what I have a degree in
I feel they are pretty keen to hand out perscriptions here, my daughter had to go through the rigmarole (and expense) of a special clinic RV, where she was promptly dealt the mildest prescrption possible for glasses she doesn't seem to need. I bet no-one comes out of there without a script... And she had a series of re-education classes which were of questionable use - we later found out the lady had almost been struck off for malpractice
You can't always trust these professionals......

A while ago I was given a prescription for those magnifying glasses, When ever I put them on I felt sick. Trying to work in front of a computer was an absolute nightmare. Although at the moment a lot of my problems are tied to using a 30 inch screen to work on in Maya and Photoshop. There is just to much on the screen at once and I have yet to find a good distance to work at. Probably going to have to trade the screen in for 2 smaller ones
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Hi all,

Thanks as always..
Maybe the Ophthalmo that you saw isn't "conventionné"? Mine is, and he only charges 28€ for a routine visit lasting at least 20 mins., more for the "coloured dots" machine (but I've forgotten how much). I suspect that the CPAM will only reimburse as if he were "conventionné" (70% of 28 €), but maybe you have a Mutuelle that reimburses 100%?
In any case, I'd look for another Ophthalmo if I were you!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:35 pm

Seeing as we have an Eyecare thread does anyone know what a Orthoptist is called in French.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Seeing as we have an Eyecare thread does anyone know what a Orthoptist is called in French.
Would you believe "orthoptiste"? or alternately "orthopticien", by courtesy of Medical Dictionary.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Courgette is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Herman. Eye tests here are high-tech, and it looks like a really boring job! It sounds like you chanced upon a dodgy one there.

But be that as it may.... glasses are a recurring theme on these forums, and there are many, many people who get their glasses when they visit the UK. It's often faster, cheaper, and better service.

As someone pointed out, though, it also depends on your mutuelle.

It also depends where you live in France. In some areas, waiting for an eye-test appointment can be 6 weeks.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks!!!
try 6 months here in toulouse
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Courgette
I agree with Herman. Eye tests here are high-tech, and it looks like a really boring job! It sounds like you chanced upon a dodgy one there.

But be that as it may.... glasses are a recurring theme on these forums, and there are many, many people who get their glasses when they visit the UK. It's often faster, cheaper, and better service.

As someone pointed out, though, it also depends on your mutuelle.

It also depends where you live in France. In some areas, waiting for an eye-test appointment can be 6 weeks.
Not high tech around here, Half the equipment looks like it was used in the middle ages.

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
6 weeks!!!
try 6 months here in toulouse
Try phoning Purpan or Rangueil and using the Ophtalmologie depts there its always a lot quicker than using Ophthalmologists in towns and the testing is a lot more involved although expect to be there for a few hours.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies. I really don't feel confident about the examination I had, so I'm going to wait until I next visit the UK, and go to my regular optician there. It will be interesting to compare the results.. Thanks once again!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:17 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Courgette
many people who get their glasses when they visit the UK. It's often faster, cheaper, and better service.
Earlier this year Tesco opticians had a promo giving you a free eye test and then 100 clubcard points for taking it. (So you're in profit from start.)

So I took my Tesco prescription and then went here

So, all in, that'd be eye-test and glasses (with UV, anti-glare, scratch resistant lenses) for ermmmm . . . £4 net, can't be bad eh?

I got no complaints about the glasses either, but took best part of 4 weeks to arrive by post (from Hong Kong).

Hey, who are you calling a cheapskate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.