Reload this Page >

French car insurance??

French car insurance??

Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gypsy57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French car insurance??

Hi everybody, more car questions!
So I am soon moving to France, and my plans are moving along slowly. I am about to buy a left hand car that I have found here in the UK and plan to drive it to France. I have read a few bits on here already how it should not stay on UK plates and insurance after 6 months (is that correct)?
In which case, how does it work exactly transferring to French insurance? Is there a French equivalent of confused.com etc?
I have read about getting the certifcate of conformity etc to be able to get the carte grise, before putting on the Fr plates... and then what??
Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French car insurance??

Hi Gypsy,
Do you have a UK no-claims record?
Without an existing no-claims record French insurance will be expensive.
You can apply for insurance online but I found it impossible to use them because they asked questions about things that do not exist in the UK.
For example it asked what type of driving lessons I had -
They rejected me because I said that I passed my test when I was 17 - not possible in France therefore I had to lie - not a good idea.
I used a small office of a mutuelle insurance and the owner bent over backwards to help.
You can also get insurance "by the kilometre" if you won't do a lot of driving.
Ask your current insurers for proof of no-claims discount.
Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for your response.
Actually I probably should have mentioned I'm a totally new driver... haven't actually passed my test yet! (soon, though, soon!). Not sure if that will affect it?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy57
Hi, thanks for your response.
Actually I probably should have mentioned I'm a totally new driver... haven't actually passed my test yet! (soon, though, soon!). Not sure if that will affect it?
Apart from the probable difference in premium (we had to take out a special insurance to cover our daughter when she came visiting), new French drivers have to put an "A" (apprenti) sticker on any car they drive for 2 years after passing the driving test, and there are restrictions and speed limits! Logically this applies to new EU drivers, too. You should check the French Regulations before driving your car in France!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

And, for the avoidance of doubt, the minimum age to drive a car in France is 18, even if you pass your test at 17 in the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
And, for the avoidance of doubt, the minimum age to drive a car in France is 18, even if you pass your test at 17 in the UK.
Wasn't a problem for me
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

6 months is the length of time visitors can use a car in a foreign country without re-registering it. If you actually come to live in France, then as a resident you have one month in which to register it. The procedure is quite straightforward, you'll find it all explained on numerous websites, just follow it step by step and you shouldn't have a problem.
You'll almost certainly find in any case that your UK insurance only covers you if you live in the UK and keep the car at a UK postcode. Almost all UK insurers make UK residency a condition of the policy.
The cost of insurance in France as an inexperienced driver with no ncb will be high, but probably no higher than in the UK. If you can name an experienced driver as a co-driver on your policy, that might bring it down a bit.
You'll need to have passed your test (and be over 18) before you can drive in France because a provisional UK licence doesn't entitle you to drive outside of the UK.
As an inexperienced driver you're setting yourself several challenges here, aren't you - driving an LHD in the UK before passing your test, and then having carefully learned the UK highway code, immediately unlearning it and learning the French code de la route instead! Driving on the right is not the only difference that you need to be aware of - you also need to understand priority at junctions where "priorité à droit" applies, speed limits, road signs, how to overtake cyclists, etc, etc, etc.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
As an inexperienced driver you're setting yourself several challenges here, aren't you - driving an LHD in the UK before passing your test, and then having carefully learned the UK highway code, immediately unlearning it and learning the French code de la route instead! Driving on the right is not the only difference that you need to be aware of - you also need to understand priority at junctions where "priorité à droit" applies, speed limits, road signs, how to overtake cyclists, etc, etc, etc.
I totally agree with that.

I personally don't think you will get insurance in France. Certainly I would find out before buying a car.

It might be best to take lessons and your test in France. It might save your life. France is a very dangerous country to drive in.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:09 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

+1
I was thinking along the lines of restrictions for new drivers, but it goes without saying that knowing when "priorité à droite" is applicable, that there's a speed limit immediately after the name of the Commune is sign-posted, etc..., remembering to turn right at a roundabout, are just as important, for experienced UK drivers, too!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

This is amazing information, thank you!! Yes, I have set myself a big challenge indeed... but I'm in my early 30's now, so I was going along the lines of "it's now or never, just do it!". And I was actually looking forward to doing something new. That's a good idea about having a few lessons in France and redoing a test there... I think I will look into that for sure. There are a few short term insurance companies in the UK, I think the best thing is to insure it for a few months and then make the switch as soon as I get settled into France. I found the step-by-step sites and they are saved onto my desktop, I was just looking for the next step!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of unofficial rules to learn as well. My fav on the school run...

If two lanes enter a roundabout a car can use the right hand lane to go all around the roundabout to any exit of their choice. So if you are in the left hand lane doing legally the same thing then at some point you will make contact unless a) you cut them off before the exit ; b) you give way; or c) go really fast and beat them to it.

It may be best to find someone to take you out a few times. Paris will make you learn quickly.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Intours
There are a lot of unofficial rules to learn as well. My fav on the school run...

If two lanes enter a roundabout a car can use the right hand lane to go all around the roundabout to any exit of their choice. So if you are in the left hand lane doing legally the same thing then at some point you will make contact unless a) you cut them off before the exit ; b) you give way; or c) go really fast and beat them to it.

It may be best to find someone to take you out a few times. Paris will make you learn quickly.
Better for a débutant to stay in the right-hand lane, as a lot of French don't seem to understand the purpose of indicators....
Even if the OP has someone to accompany her (conduite accompagnée), she should contact an Auto-Ecole for an assessment once she's here, and also be prepared for a long wait for a date for the Test. The "Code" has to be passed first (in French).
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Intours
T
Not necessarily an 'unofficial' rule, I think it must be perfectly official that you may use the right hand lane approaching a roundabout no matter which exit you're taking. Certainly the official advice for camping car drivers is, always approach a roundabout in the right hand lane even if turning left. Which is fine as long as everybody knows the rules, and doesn't make the wrong assumption and then put the exciting near-miss down to bad driving on your part.
Logic doesn't always apply...
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Not necessarily an 'unofficial' rule, I think it must be perfectly official that you may use the right hand lane approaching a roundabout no matter which exit you're taking.
My OH took their test in France and they were never taught that ??

I know lorries and bus drivers are taught to do that but given there size they have no choice on certain roundabouts.

In terms of cars, I think it has become an unofficial rule. I don't remember drivers doing that 10 years ago. It has just suddenly happened.

I personally think it is really dangerous. Especially intours Sometimes two cars will not fit.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Savoir prendre un rond point : circuler dans un rond-point
"utiliser la voie de gauche d'un rond point n'est jamais une obligation"
The onus is on the person who is changing lanes to give way. Hence, if you take the left hand lane, then when you want to move into the right hand lane in order to exit you have to give way to anything that is already in the right hand lane. If you stay in the right hand lane you shouldn't need to have to give way to anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.