Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Freesat or SKY?

Freesat or SKY?

Old Feb 23rd 2023, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Cirio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freesat or SKY?

What do most people opt for? I had a SKY setup but it got cancelled so I get the free to air stuff on the SKY dish+box, which is OK.
But the box is SD and with the BBC going HD soon I ought to do something. I have a full HD TV.
I could get a HD SKY box for not much money plus a sub at £31 a month, which gets some more SKY stuff I suppose.
Or I could get a HD Freesat box but I'd have to get the dish re-directed (and checked to see if its big enough).
Btw, I live in the Centre region, not far from Tours, so I guess reception should not be a problem.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Old Feb 24th 2023, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freesat or SKY?

Hi

We have a dish and - until last week - got FTA through an ancient Sky box.

At some point last week we lost all the BBC channels so, on the advice of one of the many Brits here in Strasbourg, bought a STRONG SRT7006 satellite receiver from Amazon. To replace the old Sky box.

It was very cheap and works fine. We pick up the Astra28 and Astra19 satellites. The only channels that haven’t reappeared are BBC3, BBC4 and BBC News. We perhaps need to do a re-scan using “blind scan” but DH has already created his vast favourites list and doesn’t want to have to reconstitute it.

https://amzn.eu/d/eDXsUXQ
Old Feb 24th 2023, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help, I'll have a look at it.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 9:31 am
Just Joined

danhollins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Hi

We have a dish and - until last week - got FTA through an ancient Sky box.

At some point last week we lost all the BBC channels so, on the advice of one of the many Brits here in Strasbourg, bought a STRONG SRT7006 satellite receiver from Amazon. To replace the old Sky box.

It was very cheap and works fine. We pick up the Astra28 and Astra19 satellites. The only channels that haven’t reappeared are BBC3, BBC4 and BBC News. We perhaps need to do a re-scan using “blind scan” but DH has already created his vast favourites list and doesn’t want to have to reconstitute it.

https://amzn.eu/d/eDXsUXQ

Hi Helen, did you need to adjust your dish at all? I'm looking for a similar solution but my dish is pretty inaccessible.

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 27th 2023 at 9:50 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Feb 27th 2023, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Hi,
This might be another solution:
https://www.skycards.eu/product/stre...s-usb-adapter/
Quote:Freeview Stream HD IPTV set-top box features:

BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Ch 5 and over 50 other channels many in HD quality.
  • 7 day catch up service
  • No satellite dish required
  • Just connect to your interent by cable or wi-fi , link it to your TV with the HDMI cable provided and add power!
  • Award winning Blade receiver – exceptional reliablity and incredibly simple to set up and operate
Has anyone tried this? Does anyone this company Skycards.eu?