Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

FR-UK / UK-FR Covid travel restrictions

FR-UK / UK-FR Covid travel restrictions

Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default FR-UK / UK-FR Covid travel restrictions

Unfortunately the coronavirus situation in France appears to be getting out of hand. Last week was reporting between 400-500 new cases over 24hr period, yesterday 2669 new cases/24hrs and today 2846 new cases/24hrs.
As a result of this I think most folks are now aware that from 4 a.m. on Sat 15th Aug, the UK is imposing a 14 day 'self-isolation' quarantine period on travellers arriving from France and the Netherlands. News link.
What hasn't yet reached all the media services is that France is planning to retaliate with travellers from the UK. It has yet to be announced from when this will be mandated, but this evening's French news suggested it could be within the next 4 days.
Catastrophic for holiday travellers, and the economy in general.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 14th 2020 at 9:33 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

zoys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FR-UK / UK-FR Covid travel restrictions

I am moving in two weeks time...
what is the quarantine rule in France? Do I have to stay in a designated hotel to quarantine?
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

We were due to return to the UK yesterday (Friday) but we decided to change our return to Wednesday instead.
Wednesday was a bit chaotic at the Channel Tunnel with a lot of Brits returning.
I imagine that Friday was even worse.
The last quarantine in France was voluntary unlike the UK where it was mandatory.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
We were due to return to the UK yesterday (Friday) but we decided to change our return to Wednesday instead.
Wednesday was a bit chaotic at the Channel Tunnel with a lot of Brits returning.
I imagine that Friday was even worse.
The last quarantine in France was voluntary unlike the UK where it was mandatory.
I immediately thought of you and Novo when I heard the news - good to hear that you escaped the quarantine. Hope it's all settled by the time Novo returns...
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoys
what is the quarantine rule in France? Do I have to stay in a designated hotel to quarantine?
Is it possible to postpone your move? I've no idea how the French follow up those in quarantine (no official statement yet, but it will no doubt be voluntary), but you don't want to risk being stuck at your friend's, with all your car issues to deal with upon arrival.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

As DMU stated that has yet to be announced, but I would expect it to be self-confinement. How that would be policed/enforced is anyone's guess at the moment.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping France will make it voluntary - I guess they will because if they make it mandatory, don't they regard it as their responsibility to provide accommodation as necessary?
However the UK is also heading in the wrong direction, a couple of weeks ago it was recording 500 / 600 cases a day or sometimes less, then it hovered around 800 / 900 cases a day, and this last week just ended they stopped publishing the new case figures on the government website but it's been over 1,000 most days, 1,440 yesterday. And today they're opening up bowling alleys and various other leisure services...

Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

zoys is an unknown quantity at this point

I know UK is sort of semi-voluntary:
my niece travelled back from Spain and in quarantine. She said the border control took the mobile phone number - don’t know how is that going to work - might check if you are at home quarantine?
my partner’s colleague travelled back from Texas, US three weeks ago, self-quarantined for two weeks at home, not been checked temperature or asked for mobile phone number.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I immediately thought of you and Novo when I heard the news - good to hear that you escaped the quarantine. Hope it's all settled by the time Novo returns...
We're going to stay in France for another month. Who knows what the rules will be then. I certainly don't.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I know UK is sort of semi-voluntary:
Obeying any law in the UK is entirely voluntary isn't it? I read somewhere that UK laws are simply intended as guidelines but people must do what they think is best for themselves and their families. Or does that only apply to Cummings and his cronies, I can't remember now. Anyway, stay alert and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking self-isolation fine is £1k.
Fines for breaking lock-down rules in England were £60 increased to £100 to double after each offence to a maximum of £3200.
The police tried to persuade members of the public to follow the rules rather than fine them.
"The National Police Chiefs' Council says 13,445 fines were issued by forces in England and 799 in Wales for breaches of social distancing rules brought in to fight the coronavirus outbreak"

I am not sure what period of lockdown this refers to.
HTH
Old Aug 16th 2020, 11:10 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Although the case rate has been going up in most European countries it's a slow climb and the fatality rate is not climbing at the same pace. Treatment methods have improved now although I still wouldn't want to catch it we were at our local supermarche this morning and people still have no concept of social distancing complete arsehat's basically.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Although the case rate has been going up in most European countries it's a slow climb and the fatality rate is not climbing at the same pace. Treatment methods have improved now although I still wouldn't want to catch it we were at our local supermarche this morning and people still have no concept of social distancing complete arsehat's basically.
Agreed, the fatality rate doesn't reflect the number of new cases, but with new cases increasing daily (well over 3000 new cases recorded since yesterday in France) it's becoming alarming.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Imho it was daft to let everyone go on holiday all normal like. One year without a holiday wouldn't have hurt.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Agreed, the fatality rate doesn't reflect the number of new cases, but with new cases increasing daily (well over 3000 new cases recorded since yesterday in France) it's becoming alarming.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
AFAIK, not many of the increasing "new cases" seem to be ending up in hospital or ICUs where, as said, the numbers are relatively low. Which makes me wonder whether these new cases were detected further to the ever-increasing tests, and either the patients are porteurs sains or they were only affected mildly and didn't realise it, and, whatever, have been simply confined after they were tested positive. No statistics (age, level of suffering, destiny, etc...) seem to be given.
Still alarming though....