Reload this Page >

Firearms in to France

Firearms in to France

Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

oasis51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Firearms in to France

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger
You never know to whom you are writing Oasis...I may well be the gendarmerie...
Nor do you Etoile etc, I was in fact one of a very short list of English coppers who was attached to the Gendarmerie and I don't remember you!

Further more there are more reasons to carry guns than some people seem capable of imagining. I appreciate that they are designed to kill but I carried one for 23 years to protect people from being killed and shot no one.
Cars were not designed to kill but more people are killed in 1 day by cars in the UK than are killed by guns in a whole year. God knows how those figures pan out in France!
Keep shining.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:53 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oasis51
Nor do you Etoile etc, I was in fact one of a very short list of English coppers who was attached to the Gendarmerie and I don't remember you!

Further more there are more reasons to carry guns than some people seem capable of imagining. I appreciate that they are designed to kill but I carried one for 23 years to protect people from being killed and shot no one.
Cars were not designed to kill but more people are killed in 1 day by cars in the UK than are killed by guns in a whole year. God knows how those figures pan out in France!
Keep shining.
There are plenty of reasons to carry guns but that doesn't mean everyone has the sense to and there is not enough class room education available that can ever prepare you for using a gun for it`s intended purposes.

Personally I think a Taser is more than enough for the plod, Although I think the paper work for just spotlighting some one should be abandoned, But keep it for when someone is zapped.

Comparing accidental car related deaths to gun related deaths is fruitless. Find out how many of the firearms related deaths were genuine accidents and how many of the traffic related deaths were of homicidal intent in the UK then see how the scales weigh up.

Anyone that says the human race is civilised needs their head testing.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

BigRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ka Ora - I am so utterly angered by your ignorant reply I do not know what to say. As a retired ex New Scotland Yard Flying Squad Officer I can only hope you never meet me on a dark night - you obviously have no idea what it is like to have a robber point a gun at you from fifty yards away and all you have is a tazer that only extends for twenty - I enjoy your contribution to my pension, at least I can sleep at night - so many of my colleagues cannot. The term PLOD is insulting and shows your complete lack of respect for the very Police Officers who have protected your way of life so selflessly for so many decades. Why did I bother wasting thirty years of my life. Ah yes, that pension.

Last edited by BigRobbo; Oct 12th 2011 at 8:56 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

BigRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and I forgot to ask - what does CONSIERGE stand for, does that mean you are a moderator - you're doing a fine job then Ka Ora. I take it my replies will be canned pretty quick then pal - at least you read them
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by BigRobbo
Ka Ora - I am so utterly angered by your ignorant reply I do not know what to say.
Sorry no insult was intended.

As a retired ex New Scotland Yard Flying Squad Officer I can only hope you never meet me on a dark night
Not the attitude I would expect from someone that has been employed in that arena.

you obviously have no idea what it is like to have a robber point a gun at you from fifty yards away and all you have is a tazer that only extends for twenty
Police Officers are not the only professional people that get shot at on a day to day basis.

The term PLOD is insulting and shows your complete lack of respect for the very Police Officers who have protected your way of life so selflessly for so many decades.
It`s a Nick name, Slang that has been around since the days of Noddy it is not a term that I used in an insulting disrespectful manner.

at least I can sleep at night - so many of my colleagues cannot.
You will have to elaborate on the later part of that as I don't understand its relevance

Oh and I forgot to ask - what does CONSIERGE stand for, does that mean you are a moderator - you're doing a fine job then Ka Ora. I take it my replies will be canned pretty quick then pal - at least you read them
Im not a moderator, We "Concierges" have different roles in the day to day running of the site.

There is no reason to remove your posts although if you feel mine are offensive feel free to report them for a Moderator or Admin to deal with.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 12th 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Ka Ora does do a fine job helping the site Robbo

Sometimes things get misunderstood, and I think this is one of those occasions, eh?

Everyone has different opinions, especially on such a subject as this. So it's often a good idea just to take a deep breath and accept that not everyone will see things the same way
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
There are plenty of reasons to carry guns but that doesn't mean everyone has the sense to and there is not enough class room education available that can ever prepare you for using a gun for it`s intended purposes.

Personally I think a Taser is more than enough for the plod, Although I think the paper work for just spotlighting some one should be abandoned, But keep it for when someone is zapped.

Comparing accidental car related deaths to gun related deaths is fruitless. Find out how many of the firearms related deaths were genuine accidents and how many of the traffic related deaths were of homicidal intent in the UK then see how the scales weigh up.

Anyone that says the human race is civilised needs their head testing.
I too am annoyed by your comments Ka Ora. Obviously you know as much about Taser as you do about 'traffic related deaths'. If you ever had to deliver the news of a death to a 'loved one' you would realise that reckless driver or careless shooter becomes somewhat academic, they are still bereaved.
Taser has a maximum range of 21 feet, would you like to take on an armed and aggressive criminal from 21 feet, knowing that the taser may prove ineffective in a significant number of deployments? Or are you just one of those armchair warriors who has all the answers but no experience or guts?
Your use of the term Plod is insulting, it is redolent of the kind of detached nimbyism enjoyed by people who have enjoyed the relative security and protection provided by possibly the best police force in the world, whilst nurturing the smug notion that they are all dull witted and pedantic. I feel it demeans the 33 years dedicated service I gave, frequently risking my life and safety, for no additional reward, for ingrates like you.
My faith in the human race has probably been tested a bit more than yours throughout my working life but so long as there is still room for politeness and consideration on websites like this, it remains intact.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:35 am

My faith in the human race has probably been tested a bit more than yours throughout my working life.
I some what doubt it.

Your use of the term Plod is insulting, it is redolent of the kind of detached nimbyism enjoyed by people who have enjoyed the relative security and protection provided by possibly the best police force in the world,
Honestly I really don't know where to start, A police force alone does not supply "security and protection" of a nation.

Taser has a maximum range of 21 feet, would you like to take on an armed and aggressive criminal from 21 feet,
I shall try tasering myself again and see how effective it is.

Or are you just one of those armchair warriors who has all the answers but no experience or guts?
My "Challenger Tank" came with the armchair pre fitted, I sometimes used the gunners head as a footstool.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I some what doubt it.

Honestly I really don't know where to start, A police force alone does not supply "security and protection" of a nation.

Ah, a 'pongo'. Life in the officers mess can be very challenging, especially with no 'batman' to rest your feet on,
but since my father was a career soldier I have enough experience of the military to know better than to stereotype.

The police take care of the security and protection of the population, with no claim on 'national security' except in the prevention of terrorism, I believe 'the continuation of politics by other means' is the responsibility of the military.

I shall try tasering myself again and see how effective it is.
My "Challenger Tank" came with the armchair pre fitted, I sometimes used the gunners head as a footstool.
So your armchair was behind several inches of armour plate with a weapons range of several miles, you must have been really scared, especially driving around Bovington. Shall I put away the sandbags and extinguish the lantern?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I too am annoyed by your comments Ka Ora. Obviously you know as much about Taser as you do about 'traffic related deaths'. If you ever had to deliver the news of a death to a 'loved one' you would realise that reckless driver or careless shooter becomes somewhat academic, they are still bereaved.
Taser has a maximum range of 21 feet, would you like to take on an armed and aggressive criminal from 21 feet, knowing that the taser may prove ineffective in a significant number of deployments? Or are you just one of those armchair warriors who has all the answers but no experience or guts?
Your use of the term Plod is insulting, it is redolent of the kind of detached nimbyism enjoyed by people who have enjoyed the relative security and protection provided by possibly the best police force in the world, whilst nurturing the smug notion that they are all dull witted and pedantic. I feel it demeans the 33 years dedicated service I gave, frequently risking my life and safety, for no additional reward, for ingrates like you.
My faith in the human race has probably been tested a bit more than yours throughout my working life but so long as there is still room for politeness and consideration on websites like this, it remains intact.
OK, let me make this clear to all.

Read my post above again. ANYONE on this forum is quite able to voice their own opinion without fear of being subject to an personal attack.

Also, I am truly sorry if some ex Officers dont appreciate the term Plod. However its a commonly used term going back a long long time. Living near to an Ex Police Officer, I can say that he has no problem with it. Personally as a moderator I've got used to being referred to as a Nazi now .... I get over it

Now please ...... lets debate each others differing opinions in a reasonable manner
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:02 pm

So your armchair was behind several inches of armour plate with a weapons range of several miles, you must have been really scared, especially driving around Bovington. Shall I put away the sandbags and extinguish the lantern?
Every soldier is fundamentally a trained infantryman and there have been operations where we would only have our SA80 in front of us. There are and have been operations where tanks are unsuitable. Personally I wasn't based at Bovington although I did visit a few times.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

SA80, effective range 300 metres, Taser effective range 21 feet. QED.
I doubt that you enjoy being called a 'Squaddie' anymore than I 'Plod', especially in the officers mess.
I've said enough on the subject. Got to get on with my life and work now, adieu.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:49 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Ka Ora - I am so utterly angered by your ignorant reply I do not know what to say. As a retired ex New Scotland Yard Flying Squad Officer I can only hope you never meet me on a dark night - you obviously have no idea what it is like to have a robber point a gun at you from fifty yards away and all you have is a tazer that only extends for twenty - I enjoy your contribution to my pension, at least I can sleep at night - so many of my colleagues cannot. The term PLOD is insulting and shows your complete lack of respect for the very Police Officers who have protected your way of life so selflessly for so many decades. Why did I bother wasting thirty years of my life. Ah yes, that pension.

I always thought the term Plod was an affectionate, very culturally individual to Britain and harmless...a bit like calling your favourite GP "my quack" or your wife "her indoors".

I would have been VERY worried if I had known that people who carry guns are so sensitive and "quick on the trigger". Thank goodness the average British policeman dont carry them if they are like this.

In fact I find this entire thread disappointing and verging on the alarming. I prefer my security to be looked after by intelligent thoughtful and careful people.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Indeed this is an alarming thread, interestingly "triggered" by a request for information about firearms from a gun-owner. The resulting gratuitous threats, aggression and boorishness don't do much for the gun lobby's cause.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

You certainly have fun here in France.
Two coppers (OK?) outed, both of whom think that it is perfectly normal for a member of the public (I presume a retired policeman is "a member of the public") to have two guns because he only wants to use them(?), sell them(?), hand them to an assassin(?) in a third country. Can either of them name a country in Western Europe where the authorities take gun ownership lightly? Why should the French authorities do so?
I can't help thinking of Dunblane and Whitehaven where local police forces were central to firearms permits being issued to two unsuitable persons, only one of whom was a Mason - sorry, sorry, a Pavlovian remark!
To offer as justification that the police are "on the wire" exposes a twisted sense of the common weal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.