Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Fed up with my accountant - can anybody recommend a good one?

Fed up with my accountant - can anybody recommend a good one?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fed up with my accountant - can anybody recommend a good one?

I'm a little fed up with my accountant. They're a British accountant in Paris so know all the in's and out's of the French system, but they don't really do communication by phone, which leaves me with emails. As RSI want my financial information by the end of this month (which seems a little unreasonable given the deadline date for tax returns is the 31st May), and I'm away later this month the accountant said they'd pencil me in for early April. They never contacted me, so I emailed them almost a week ago now; no response. I emailed them again two days ago, still no reply. I'm a bit fed up because I've now got little time left and don't fancy the prospect of a fine.
If anyone knows an English speaking French accountant they can recommend I would be most grateful. Currently the returns cost 220 euros + TVA for a micro-enterprise, and ideally I wouldn't wish to pay much more than this, especially as my accounts are only for half a year's work. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 10:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up with my accountant - can anybody recommend a good one?

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I'm a little fed up with my accountant. They're a British accountant in Paris so know all the in's and out's of the French system, but they don't really do communication by phone, which leaves me with emails. As RSI want my financial information by the end of this month (which seems a little unreasonable given the deadline date for tax returns is the 31st May), and I'm away later this month the accountant said they'd pencil me in for early April. They never contacted me, so I emailed them almost a week ago now; no response. I emailed them again two days ago, still no reply. I'm a bit fed up because I've now got little time left and don't fancy the prospect of a fine.
If anyone knows an English speaking French accountant they can recommend I would be most grateful. Currently the returns cost 220 euros + TVA for a micro-enterprise, and ideally I wouldn't wish to pay much more than this, especially as my accounts are only for half a year's work. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry I can't help. I had a French accountant when I was working for myself and my OH explained all the French administrative and fiscal jargon which I couldn't (or didn't want to) understand.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Hello,G.J.B
sorry can't recommend a bloodsucking bandito too you...
all i know they are like the holy grail (good ones) to find..

i have no sympathy for them and there wicked trade,a standard fee sometimes for a signature or for them to confirm the obvious..
and for advise well you just have to pay and sign a waver form so they can't be blamed if they give you the wrong advice...
God damn bloodsuckers:curse:
I hope you have some luck..
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good one, certainly a lot better that the last one who cost me a fortune and was useless. However I don't think he speaks English though. Try speaking to the local Chambre de Commerce, they should have a few names to give you.
By the way, 220€ +VAT, is that per year or per month??
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
I have a good one, certainly a lot better that the last one who cost me a fortune and was useless. However I don't think he speaks English though. Try speaking to the local Chambre de Commerce, they should have a few names to give you.
By the way, 220€ +VAT, is that per year or per month??
Thanks for all the replies. Yep, blood sucking leeches has been my experience so far - at least when I set up business. My UK accountant was reliant, and went out his way to help more than he needed to - I'm not use to the differences here in France.

Andrew - yes, I'm not TVA registered so only have the end of year tax return to do, which is 220€ +VAT.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Yep, blood sucking leeches has been my experience so far - at least when I set up business. My UK accountant was reliant, and went out his way to help more than he needed to - I'm not use to the differences here in France.

Andrew - yes, I'm not TVA registered so only have the end of year tax return to do, which is 220€ +VAT.
Blimey, thats cheap!! I pay almost 4000€/year for mine!!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

That sounds horrendously expensive! I hope they save you a great deal on tax. With my earnings I'd be broke if I had to pay an accountant that much!! If I ever creep towards to the TVA threshold I think I'll take a holiday rather than risk going over! Perhaps your accountant also does your books for you? I always do my own records and pass over the figures and expenses which I have very nearly organised, and keep everything scanned electronically (hard copies too of course).
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

That sounds horrendously expensive! I hope they save you a great deal on tax. With my earnings I'd be broke if I had to pay an accountant that much!! If I ever creep towards to the TVA threshold I think I'll take a holiday rather than risk going over! Perhaps your accountant also does your books for you? I always do my own records and pass over the figures and expenses which I have very nearly organised, and keep everything scanned electronically (hard copies too of course).
I do the same as you - neatly presented books, invoices, bank statements etc etc. All he does is the TVA every three months (although I suppose I could do that) and of course the yearly bilan. He draws up contracts of employment etc and other letters.
Frankly it is expensive and I find the advice given has to be dragged out of him. Although hes a lot better (& cheaper!!) than the last one I had.
You're right - it is better to shut up shop and go on holiday rather than going over the limit.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by le plumber
I do the same as you - neatly presented books, invoices, bank statements etc etc. All he does is the TVA every three months (although I suppose I could do that) and of course the yearly bilan. He draws up contracts of employment etc and other letters.
Frankly it is expensive and I find the advice given has to be dragged out of him. Although hes a lot better (& cheaper!!) than the last one I had.
You're right - it is better to shut up shop and go on holiday rather than going over the limit.
I'd personally shop about for another accountant. My partner works for lawyers (I know, worse than accountants!), and one of them has a personal accountant which costs them 1000 euros - given how much they earn per month, I'd say you are being taken for a ride somewhere.

My accountant still hasn't got back to me. I'm a bit peeved, because he promised me early April and I don't know if RSI will impose fines on me if their form is late. I also don't understand why their deadline is the 1st May when the tax deadline is the 31st May.
I've tried calling them but it's always engaged. :curse:

Update... Finally, they've got back to me. They thought they'd replied a week ago, but confirmed that they can find nothing in their sentbox to confirm this.

Last edited by G-J-B; Apr 14th 2009 at 11:51 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Yay, I went to the tax office this morning, struggling through with my pigeon French, but the folks there actually smile and all seem pretty friendly. For anybody whose accounts aren't too complicated, just pop down and they can help fill it in for you so you can cut out the middle-man and save on accountancy fees. Next year I'll be able to file online so it should be easier still.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

bewleymrb69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

This guy Edmond Caubraque is a good accountant but is based in Dax . His telephone number is 05 58 91 57 28 . Speaks fluent English .

I am sure he can help you ..

Any questions please let me know .

Regards

Andy
Old May 14th 2009, 12:04 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had our yearly bilan returned to me. Cost? €920. That's for an SCI full year accounts. We're well below the tax threshold although we're doing ok. Our accountant has been the most helpful person we've encountered in our 4 years here. It may seem a huge expense, but with us being an SCI, we have to have our accounts done externally. But, for the help we've had from Céline, it's well worth paying!

If anyone wants the name & contact details, (although they're based in Saumur), I'll gladly pass them on via. PM.
Old May 18th 2009, 12:34 am
ljd
Just Joined

ljd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Le Chant
I've just had our yearly bilan returned to me. Cost? €920. That's for an SCI full year accounts. We're well below the tax threshold although we're doing ok. Our accountant has been the most helpful person we've encountered in our 4 years here. It may seem a huge expense, but with us being an SCI, we have to have our accounts done externally. But, for the help we've had from Céline, it's well worth paying!

If anyone wants the name & contact details, (although they're based in Saumur), I'll gladly pass them on via. PM.
Hi Stu - tried to contact you via PM but for some reason can't get it to work - would like to know a bit more about your accountant and perhaps pick your brains some more if possible.

Not sure how to do so - new to forum.

Thanks
Old May 18th 2009, 8:42 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljd
Hi Stu - tried to contact you via PM but for some reason can't get it to work - would like to know a bit more about your accountant and perhaps pick your brains some more if possible.

Not sure how to do so - new to forum.

Thanks
If you make one more post (I think) then the PM system opens up to you. You'll then be able to PM me. This is a forum precaution against potential spammers.

If I can help, I will.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Is that the Franceaccountants one?

Because I stumbled across a previous post of yours while searching the internet and have them down as one to use. If that's the case I'll scrub them off.