Reload this Page >

Family V Friends

Family V Friends

Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Family V Friends

Annetje,

That sounds like great advice and I may need to start doing something on those lines myself!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chateaubev
Hello

I'm a newbie on here but moved to france in 2006, We live in Payolle in the Hautés Pyrénées,
Sometimes on our way dropping friends back off at Toulouse they would say can we give you a little something towards petrol? What about the money we spent on food ? taking them to Spain for a day trip? and Lourdes again, and the four journeys picking them up and dropping them back to the airport and they want to give us a little petrol money.
No more !!!! It has cost us thousands entertaining our friends and family.

However we have one set of friends who are very generous, they will not let us pay for anything, They are so happy having accommodation free and we welcome them back time and time again.
Fay
Welcome to the Forum Fay
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:42 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
CJM,
Funny you should say that. I was thinking of traveling your way very soon....
If you come our way, give me a shout.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:36 am
Just Joined

chateaubev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Anyone passing through Payolle there will always be a cold beer, Glass of wine or a nice cup of coffee and a good chat on offer.

Fay
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:02 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I'm a newbie on here but moved to france in 2006, We live in Payolle in the Hautés Pyrénées,
Sometimes on our way dropping friends back off at Toulouse they would say can we give you a little something towards petrol? What about the money we spent on food ? taking them to Spain for a day trip? and Lourdes again, and the four journeys picking them up and dropping them back to the airport and they want to give us a little petrol money.
No more !!!! It has cost us thousands entertaining our friends and family.

However we have one set of friends who are very generous, they will not let us pay for anything, They are so happy having accommodation free and we welcome them back time and time again.
Fay
Welcome to the Forum, Dozed off for a mo

I guess you are closer to us than Toulouse, As the crow flies although I would not want to walk it.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Hello

Anyone passing through Payolle there will always be a cold beer, Glass of wine or a nice cup of coffee and a good chat on offer.

Fay
May just have to take you up on that. We are only down the road in Tuzaguet near Lannemezan.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Taffytraitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh this post has filled me with such relief...I had begun to think that I was a miserly, miserable, unfriendly old git but alas it seems that my feeling towards my vistors are 'normal'...thank goodness!
I am new to France (only been here 2 months) but have lived abroad for over 3 years. The first time I ever had vistiors I was so excited, I couldn't wait to entertain, be the tour guide, make sure that people left loving the country I was in. Oh how different I feel about it all now....I dread having visitors now!
What is it about coming to stay with friends or family in another country that turns people into complete scroungers and ungrateful people? I often ask myself if I would do the same if I had the opportunity to stay with other poeple? lord I hope not?!?!
I don't have children but I do love them but how come couples with 3 kids will come to stay and expect me to pay for EVERYTHING? how does that work? I have only been here 2 months and already have had 2 sets of visitors, one family with 4 kids and another with 2...the first family didn't even treat us to a coffee and the second bought me a 5 euro lunch. I feel disgusted with myself for moaning about this sort of thing as its something that had never bothered me before but having put up with this for so many years I can't help but feel used and ripped off. I do however find family are more generous and will at least ask if there is stuff from the UK they can bring for me. I am going to stop now before I rant on forever....sorry
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:26 am
Just Joined

chateaubev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Martin

Your always welcome

Fay
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hello Martin

Your always welcome

Fay
Hi Fay,
The Hotel sounds good. Next time we are up that way, I will pay you visit.
Cheers
Martin