Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Exchanging UK driving licence for a French one

Exchanging UK driving licence for a French one

Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:51 am
Just Joined

JHead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging UK driving licence for a French one

Hello, I have decided to start a new thread.
I am wanting to exchange a UK driving licence for a French one. I have a question. One of the documents required by the French authorities is "justifcatif de résidence du demandeur en France depuis 6 mois". I called the French authorities who say that I should obtain a certificate from the UK authorities saying when I left the UK. I called the British Consulate in Paris who informed me that there is no register of UK nationals living in France. Does anyone have any experience with providing this documentation? This is different to a "Justificatif de domicile" which can be a utility bill. Many thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exchanging UK driving licence for a French one

That's a new one on me.

Both my OH and I have exchanged our licences and were not required to provide this nor have I heard of anybody else being asked for it.

As you are under no obligation whatsoever to inform the UK that you are leaving the country it's facile to expect people to get some sort of certificate from the UK.

If you are in the health system the date of your attestation will establish your assumption of residency.

Why do you want to exchange, is it because it is due to expire ?

If not then forget it and stick with the UK one, it's perfectly legal.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

hi there, thanks a lot. The problem with the UK licence is that you are supposed to have a permanent address there. I have been using a relative's address and she is about to move so I would need to change the address on my UK licence to her new address. I have lived in France for a long time and thought that maybe it was time to get a French one/European format. It is due to expire in 2021.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

not really relevant, but our licenses still show the house we used to live at in England. So I probably wouldn't change it.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JHead
The problem with the UK licence is that you are supposed to have a permanent address there.
Not true.

You need to be UK resident to renew it but apart from that there is nothing at all wrong with driving on it anywhere in Europe so long as it remains in date.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:54 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

There's no obligation in France, even if you're resident, to exchange a UK licence for a French one and there's no obligation if you have a French licence to notify a change of address so ipso facto I would stay with the UK licence even if the address is no longer valid.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

DVLA require you to keep your address up to date.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-20968886
Note also that you need to update your photo every ten years.
Most insurance companies also have it in the small print that your licence be up-to-date. Whatever that means.

So it is a bit of a tricky one for those of us who move between the two countries.
I keep my UK licence, as I spend a fair bit of time in the UK.

I read constantly that there is no need to change to a French licence, but am not sure that procedurally it is the safest option. Any thoughts, advice very welcome
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:28 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

The French can require someone to exchange to a French licence but this is normally only if they want to impose a driving ban. I guess they would try and sort out a justificatif de residence for you as part of the process
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will try to contact the prefecture again tomorrow to see what could be accepted as the "Justificatif de résidence".
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
DVLA require you to keep your address up to date.
Not if the new address is outside Great Britain:
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

So it is a bit of a tricky one for those of us who move between the two countries. I keep my UK licence, as I spend a fair bit of time in the UK.

I read constantly that there is no need to change to a French licence, but am not sure that procedurally it is the safest option. Any thoughts, advice very welcome
You should have your driving licence where your home is, normally. Although a GB licence (no such thing as a "U.K." licence by the way, since Northern Ireland has its own system) can be held as a basis to drive elsewhere in the EU/EEA, they will not issue a new GB licence without a GB address. So if you lose your licence, you won't be able to replace it easily and without it, you may not get a local licence easily or quickly.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 2:57 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this very same point clarified by the Prefecture this week! Myself, along with one or two friends have been pulled over during routine checks by the Gendermarie. He said all was good but I should "really" change my licence for a french one. The lady officer was happy with everything, the miserable male one suggested that I should change it. I queried it with him, as I have some friends who haven't been picked up on this, and some that have! So I emailed our prefecture, who suggested it is NOT necessary to change the licence, so long as it is in date. I admit it seems bizarre to have an old european licence with an address that has been invalid for many years. I think the DVLA should change the addresses on these. Obviously, when it runs out I will need to get a french one. I just wonder how easy it would be to get an english one again if I did replace it for a french one in time. I just wish the french would sort this ruling out once and for all. I have therefor copied the email and put it in the car, so that I won't get pulled up again with the same issue.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
I had this very same point clarified by the Prefecture this week! Myself, along with one or two friends have been pulled over during routine checks by the Gendermarie. He said all was good but I should "really" change my licence for a french one. The lady officer was happy with everything, the miserable male one suggested that I should change it. I queried it with him, as I have some friends who haven't been picked up on this, and some that have! So I emailed our prefecture, who suggested it is NOT necessary to change the licence, so long as it is in date. I admit it seems bizarre to have an old european licence with an address that has been invalid for many years. I think the DVLA should change the addresses on these. Obviously, when it runs out I will need to get a french one. I just wonder how easy it would be to get an english one again if I did replace it for a french one in time. I just wish the french would sort this ruling out once and for all. I have therefor copied the email and put it in the car, so that I won't get pulled up again with the same issue.
Would the old pink GB paper driving licence without the photo be acceptable? I have a current UAE licence as well as an old paper GB licence and hope to retire to France later this year. I used the UAE licence when last renting a car in France, but that won't be valid once I permanently leave the UAE. Needless to say, the address on the GB licence is out of date as they wouldn't renew whilst I was working and living overseas. How easy is it to simply take a driving test and get a French licence once I arrive?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not if the new address is outside Great Britain:
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

You should have your driving licence where your home is, normally. Although a GB licence (no such thing as a "U.K." licence by the way, since Northern Ireland has its own system) can be held as a basis to drive elsewhere in the EU/EEA, they will not issue a new GB licence without a GB address. So if you lose your licence, you won't be able to replace it easily and without it, you may not get a local licence easily or quickly.
Yes that is how I read it too. It has to be up-to-date, which must include ones CURRENT address. If one lives outside the UK,the address is not acceptable, so the licencee is not up-to-date.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Would the old pink GB paper driving licence without the photo be acceptable? I have a current UAE licence as well as an old paper GB licence and hope to retire to France later this year. I used the UAE licence when last renting a car in France, but that won't be valid once I permanently leave the UAE. Needless to say, the address on the GB licence is out of date as they wouldn't renew whilst I was working and living overseas. How easy is it to simply take a driving test and get a French licence once I arrive?
The first step is to apply by completing form Cerfa 14866, available HERE.
You will then require a medical examination/delivery of a certificate. Then to take the theory exam by studying the Code de la route. Once you've passed this exam (hope your French is more than reasonable) you may then apply to take the driving test.
Rather you than me. Best of luck.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:04 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The first step is to apply by completing form Cerfa 14866, available HERE.
You will then require a medical examination/delivery of a certificate. Then to take the theory exam by studying the Code de la route. Once you've passed this exam (hope your French is more than reasonable) you may then apply to take the driving test.
Rather you than me. Best of luck.
A letter of entitlement from DVLA will suffice for a driving license exchange there would be no need to take the test again

Should you require confirmation of your driving licence details in order to apply for an exchange licence with the French authorities, please telephone to request a certificate of entitlement.

Switchboard telephone number: 01792 782341

Opening hours - Monday to Friday 08.15 to 16.30

A fee of £5.00 is charged to cover the cost of issuing a certificate giving licensing details (a D737 certificate)

When you telephone you will be asked to provide your full personal details or driver number and details of your credit/debit card number (we accept Visa, Eurocard and Mastercard). If the card holder is someone other than yourself we will also need to speak to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.