Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:05 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

The MOT is not exclusive to the UK, It comes in other guises and names out side of the UK. Every country in Europe requires that a car is tested and passed to be fit for use on the roads.

Originally Posted by warrigal
This is the problem.

A typical response from a UK or European Insurance company.

We can only provide quotes for people that live in the UK for 6 months a year and have a valid UK or EU driving licence.

If you meet these requirements, please go online to our website and obtain a quote.

I will only be in the UK less than 24 hrs, (maybe as long a 1/2 days only) I would hardly call that residence.

and yet if I hade a Brittish Driving Licence then there would be no problem with the Insurance and Road Tax, and definately NO problem to drive in France, as it is a EU licence.

SO I have a
Australian Driving Licence (Queensland) C class (vehicle up to 4.5 ton)

International driving permit Class B and C ( still valid)

need Insurance 3rd party to drive in EU

need Road Tax and MOT (UK)

need Insurance (some on Vehicle)
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point

So you kontiki as a French resident, Do you know any way of how this vehicle could be put in French road registration and road tax.

French number Plates,

I could continue going though the 6 step GB processs,
But then you say it not Roadworthy for France. (NO French MOT) WHAT

how ridiculous is that. (for the European continent)

I fully accept what you say on Driver Licences as this is what I have been told for the UK. If you change another countrys DL to a GB licence you have to surender your first DL

You can't hold 2.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:03 pm

So you kontiki as a French resident, Do you know any way of how this vehicle could be put in French road registration and road tax.

French number Plates,

I could continue going though the 6 step GB processs,
But then you say it not Roadworthy for France. (NO French MOT) WHAT

how ridiculous is that. (for the European continent)

I fully accept what you say on Driver Licences as this is what I have been told for the UK. If you change another countrys DL to a GB licence you have to surender your first DL

You can't hold 2.

In France a MOT is called a "ContrĂ´le Technique" if you re'register a English car on to French number plates you will have to get a ContrĂ´le Technique before they give you the French registration document.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ka Ora, so I take it this inspection has to be done in France.

and does the person with the Vehicle have to have French residence and residence permit.

what about a a French DL

IS Inrurance from a French insurer needed

If I could pay and get a set of French Number plates, I could take them to the UK put them on the vehicle and drive it to the Chanel ferry to France.
As it is the UK, I am up for 270 GBP for Insurance, over 100 GBP for Road tax, 56 GBP for MOT inspection plus cost of repairs. Could be a high as 1000 GBP.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Just so you know the problem you have expended so much time typing what at times has been little more than semi-coherent drivel about is nothing to do with UK or Europe but is entirely down to policy on the part of the insurance companies, as private businesses they are not obliged to insure anybody for anything if they choose not to. Their business model is based on risk which has to be quantified and clearly the case of foreign applicants that is difficult if not impossible.

To put that further into perspective even Brits returning to UK after being out of UK for more than a year or so can find it difficult to get insurance and when they do the premium will usually be significantly higher. This despite having UK licences and often decades of safe claim free UK motoring to their credit before they left.

Perhaps your time would be better spent actually looking for what you need instead of ranting about discrimination though. i.e.

http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...pages/homepage

It took me 30 seconds to find this and where there is one there will be others.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kontiki
I take issue with you on this matter and I feel you need to back up your so called facts.

I suggest that you back up your claims with some real evidence from one an insurance company and two the MOT center.

Yes it was only one example of an insurance company refusing, maybe you will now take the time to find an insurance company that will issue you a certificate, instead of being so negative and un-helpfull.

I have posted a link to one such company but I'm not about to do anybody else's work for them. Remember though almost without exception you can insure anything, the difficulty is finding the insurer and paying the price !

As for the MOT see item 18 here http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/faqs.asp

Axa insurance have told me that they will not insure any vehicle if it does not have an MOT

Procuring new insurance without having an MOT is a completely different question to driving an already insured car without one. You can legally drive an insured car with an expired MOT to a previously arranged test, are you suggesting that that journey is also uninsured ?
You are more likely to get the right answers if you ask an insurance company the right questions

DVLC have told me also that as I am not allowed two licenses I must exchange my UK license for a French which will be reversed should I return to the UK

That is correct and I have never suggested otherwise

I have done my research I suggest you prove your points.

The word exchange is another word for swop, to surrender is to give up all rights to something.

Pure semantics, if I get banned from driving I have to 'surrender' my licence to the court but I get it back when the ban is served.

Ergo I have only 'surrendered' my right to it for the duration of the ban not for all time.

Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:28 am

Ka Ora, so I take it this inspection has to be done in France.
Yes

and does the person with the Vehicle have to have French residence and residence permit.
Not that I'm aware of, Others can feel free to chip in on this

what about a a French DL

IS Inrurance from a French insurer needed
The car needs to be insured by whatever means, If the car has no insurance then a car transporter would be needed.

If I could pay and get a set of French Number plates, I could take them to the UK put them on the vehicle and drive it to the Chanel ferry to France.
As it is the UK, I am up for 270 GBP for Insurance, over 100 GBP for Road tax, 56 GBP for MOT inspection plus cost of repairs. Could be a high as 1000 GBP.
Very Unlikely I have asked before and I will ask again, What is the age of camper van thingy to have purchased?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:33 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontiki
I take issue with you on this matter and I feel you need to back up your so called facts.

I suggest that you back up your claims with some real evidence from one an insurance company and two the MOT center.

Yes it was only one example of an insurance company refusing, maybe you will now take the time to find an insurance company that will issue you a certificate, instead of being so negative and un-helpfull.

I have posted a link to one such company but I'm not about to do anybody else's work for them. Remember though almost without exception you can insure anything, the difficulty is finding the insurer and paying the price ! So what is the purpose of you being in this discussion if you don't want to help in anyway possibleStill I am sure that Warrigal will be happy and it has shown that those who said it is NOT possible to get assurance in this way are wrong, so thank's for that clear up.

As for the MOT see item 18 here http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/faqs.asp
Unrelated argument

Axa insurance have told me that they will not insure any vehicle if it does not have an MOT

Procuring new insurance without having an MOT is a completely different question to driving an already insured car without one. You can legally drive an insured car with an expired MOT to a previously arranged test, are you suggesting that that journey is also uninsured ?I don't know if you are being difficult or argumentative for the sake of it. I stated that if you drive a vehicle that has no MOT your insurance would be invalid, that would be in the case of of an accident of course not driving down to an MOT station with a pre appointment.
You are more likely to get the right answers if you ask an insurance company the right questions.What is that supposed to mean I at least made an effort.

DVLC have told me also that as I am not allowed two licenses I must exchange my UK license for a French which will be reversed should I return to the UK

That is correct and I have never suggested otherwise

I have done my research I suggest you prove your points.

The word exchange is another word for swop, to surrender is to give up all rights to something.

Pure semantics, if I get banned from driving I have to 'surrender' my licence to the court but I get it back when the ban is served. That I believe is a matter for the court to decide when it comes time to renew, it is not a right, though most cases this would be so. The point is that the impression was being given that he thought that he would not get his Aussi license back.Ergo I have only 'surrendered' my right to it for the duration of the ban not for all time.

I agree with you that Warrigal is not making his intentions clear at all and keeps popping in different scenarios which is not helpful. Now he say's he wants to travel around Europe without having a place to live apart from his tent or caravan, This means he will not be able to register anything at all in France.

Please remember that we are ALL on this forum to help one another no matter how bright or how dim some of us may seem.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

The admins realy stuffed this up now, This topic is travelling in the EU/ licences

There is another topic change a Uk licence to a French licence.

There is another topic Change a AUS licence to UK licence.

well I have had a 24 hr break from this and took some long breaths , so maybe you the others here could take some long breaths then come back to discussion on EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers if you got anything to say or mabe you just don't care about the topic.

another one of my post was removed here admin

Ka Ora the camper van is year 1993 SO OLD

well at this point time the vehicle does not have MOT (SORN) (UK)

O well if there no go in France, ( not enough of a resident) then I'am back to the long winded 5 or 6 step UK process to get this vehcle back on road, and then Just Hope there not a afficuious Police officer in France, that says Arhh a UK plated vehicle, I'll look at this.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 6th 2012 at 6:51 am.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The admins realy stuffed this up now, This topic is travelling in the EU/ licences

well I have had a 24 hr break from this and took some long breaths , so maybe you the others here could take some long breaths then come back to discussion on EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers if you got anything to say or mabe you just don't care about the topic.

O well if there no go in France, ( not enough of a resident) then I'am back to the long winded 5 or 6 step UK process to get this vehcle back on road, and then Just Hope there not a afficuious Police officer in France, that says Arhh a UK plated vehicle, I'll look at this.
No, admin haven't stuffed this up. as you so eloquently put it. They are different discussions about different things and only get derailed when people take them off topic

You are now saying that this is a camper van? I must have missed that one. You are getting into a whole new ball game now. Not sure about France, but in Spain it is very difficult to get mobile homes of foreign origin matriculated, need certificates of conformity for instance
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:34 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No, admin haven't stuffed this up. as you so eloquently put it. They are different discussions about different things and only get derailed when people take them off topic

You are now saying that this is a camper van? I must have missed that one. You are getting into a whole new ball game now. Not sure about France, but in Spain it is very difficult to get mobile homes of foreign origin matriculated, need certificates of conformity for instance
You will also need a Certificate of Conformity to register it in France. Given its age, that may not be easy to get hold of one and there will likely be a charge from the manufacturer.
Warragal, not withstanding your beef about validity of driving licences between countries and continents, I feel it is a shame you bought the darned camper in the first place. My gut feeling is to get rid soonest and take the financial hit. Then start again, having done research on the obstacles you are going to encounter. There is no point railing on this Forum about the inadequacies of exchanging licences; you may not like the rules 'cos they don't suit you, but they are there and there is damn all any of us can do about them. Sometimes life just aint fair. From your perspective I guess that reflects your situation.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:47 pm

The current V5C holder can "Sorn" the Camper van if you ask nicely as with the new V5C is can be done online. ONLINE SORN HERE , I assume it has remained in the last owners name until you can sort an address to register the camper van at you could ask them to sorn it until you can sort out these issues.

In My Honest Opinion......

Discard your gripes with how us Europeans do things start concentrating on how to acquire an address to register the "Camper Van" and get your insurance at because to be honest I have known folk to register cars at squats and all sorts of places.

You just need somewhere that the mail is treated in a secure fashion and the folk there are trust worthy.

If you are really planning on leaving UK/Europe before the year is out then there is no need to exchange your license and the camper van can remain registered within the UK and you just need to do some homework with the insurance.

Your not planing on becoming a French Resident so it is pointless registering it here unless you enjoy difficult paperwork.

Admin and all the folk that donate their own time to maintaing this site/Migration resource have become very apt at how to deal with things and having a pop at them for separating your posts from a thread or two is fruitless and the posts do detract from information that is aimed at a different type of migrant.

Read other peoples posts thrice before responding as everyone has provided you with some useful information along the way and I'm sure if we all count to three a couple of times we can get you into the UK and out again as a happy camper

End Of Line.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Mar 6th 2012 at 4:59 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well as I said it a 4 or 5 step procces now in the UK
Address,
insurance,
Road Tax,
MOT Inspection,
Green card insurance for EU
other Insurance on vehicle

None of which I can Do because I am not in the UK Yet.

It would be very easy if I could just ( pay for) and pick up a set of French number plates in Paris as I go though to the UK to pick up the vehicle.

And it always was a camper van, (or a Van to camp IN)

No useful information here If there was this would be archived and I would be there traveling Europe.

And I don't know why the admins here labeled this about driving licences, Ir was never about driving licences, it was about, Insurance, road tax, and MOT on a vehcile for travellers, NOT for residents of the UK/ EU or France, I don't know why its in the france Forum.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 6th 2012 at 10:22 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well as I said it a 4 or 5 step procces now in the UK
Address,
insurance,
Road Tax,
MOT Inspection,
Green card insurance for EU
other Insurance on vehicle

None of which I can Do because I am not in the UK Yet.

It would be very easy if I could just ( pay for) and pick up a set of French number plates in Paris as I go though to the UK to pick up the vehicle.

And it always was a camper van, (or a Van to camp IN)

No useful information here If there was this would be archived and I would be there traveling Europe.

And I don't know why the admins here labeled this about driving licences, Ir was never about driving licences, it was about, Insurance, road tax, and MOT on a vehcile for travellers, NOT for residents of the UK/ EU or France, I don't know why its in the france Forum.
Well, in that case the thread is clearly of no use to you, and as you feel that people on here are doing such a bad job in answering your unclear questions I'll just close it off now.