Reload this Page >

EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by cyrian
yes he has hijacked two threads on the forum as well as complaining about several European countries in addition to the UK.
This thread is entitled "Changing UK driving licence for a French one.
NOT "I want to have a bloody rant in which I will disagree with everyone else because other countries who will receive me as a guest will not do what I want."
This thread is going nowhere.
moderator when are you going to stop members here Demeaning my posts on this Form.

To demean Is to form a assumption about someone when they don't know the facts about the person, their personality or chacter.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 12:26 am.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:20 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warrigal
moderator when a re you going to stop members here Demeaning by posts on this Form.

To demean Is to form a assumption about someone when they don't know the facts about the person, their personality or chacter.
Well to be fair you did derail the other thread. Which is why cyrian posted what he did above.

However, now I have moved those posts to another thread lets just move along and get back to your topic of driving through EU as a traveller.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kontiki
Warringal say's that the UK companies refuse to assure ? Insure him until he has a UK licence, a place of residence and has been in the UK for six months. I think he is mistaken. There must be someone on here that has a UK assurance maybe they could ring and confirm this fact.
Re. EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

I have posted this email on other forums,

so here it is in it's Blunt responce

Thank you for your email.

We can only provide quotes for people that live in the UK for 6 months a year and have a valid UK or EU driving licence.

If you meet these requirements, please go online to our website and obtain a quote.

Yours Sincerely,

<snip>

By the way asurance is in a persons LIFE

So what is the common EU or UK response from the public here to this Email from a Insurance company in the UK.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 12:34 am. Reason: Please don't post the full name of someone else (that was shared by email) on a public forum.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Warrigal
Can you make clear a point for me.
1 You bought a car in the UK?
2 You want to use the car in France for how long?
3 You need assurance for this car?
4 You wish at some time to return to the UK with this car either to sell it or use it?

These are important points for it would in fact be cheaper for you to sell said UK car and buy a car in France this would save all the problems with.
MOT
RFL
and cheaper assurance over here.

Those plonkers that told you not to bother in France about MOT etc are just that Plonkers.

First NO MOT= invalid assurance
SORN vehicles are not allowed on the public highway
No RFL = invalid assurance.

You can get away with it but boy talk about prison time if you have the misfortune to be either involved or the cause of an accident. Just not worth it. they may have got rid of Devils island here but the people who ran it are still working as prison guards.

I suggest you go to another insurance company and ask to see the regulation that states you must have an UK driving licence to insure a UK registered car.

By the way you must realize that all these countries are making money out of this problem and that is why they do nothing about it.

Now last point all those on here who have as yet not changed their licence and are resident in France have any of you ever been refused assurance because your licence is from the UK.
well All I got to say to this comment is if the vehcle is not in MOT and Tax in the UK then It is NOt legal to drive in France Germany, or anywhere else

Buying a Van in France Simple Not a option too expensive and how Do i get residence to get road registration.

No it is better if the vehicle has UK Tax , Therefore it can travel in the EU.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cjm
Warrigal, you were advised not to go illegal in the UK. People tell you to go without insurance, tax - you will be caught - the system of ANPR - Auto Number Plate Recognition will spot you on roads throughout the UK. The police will stop you. You will be arrested. You will be put in a holding cell. You will be interviewed. You will be charged. You may be released on bail, own recognisance, to appear in court. Your passport will be logged, so if you try to leave the country you will be stopped.
Your stupid arrogance on a point of international technicality doesn't mean diddly-squat. It does not matter England/France, the police/gendarmerie and each border security will see you. Get real and leave your daft arrogance about an International licence in Oz.
To Go Illegal

Well with The attitude of THE uk/ eu , the DVLA and the Insurance, company that is all I can do in France.

They won't provide Insurance to a person without a EU or UK DL and without a UK or EU address

I will only be traveling Europe 4 to 6 week period, why should I have to have a residental address particularly when I won't have a residence visa, and don't need a Tourist visa

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 2:49 am.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

Well, it's about time we had a crazy troll in the France forum. It's all a bit civilized usually. I wonder though if this particular specimen has a measurable IQ.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

another prune, but with a Einstein avatar

Hows your EU licence
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

another prune, but with a Einstein avatar

Hows your EU licence
Fine thank you, How's yours? Could you articulate more clearly what you're on about? <I haven't fed a troll for some time>.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

well here is something for **** off Troll

you haven't actually read this post or the other one, have you, Admin has just sent in the TROLL hunter have they.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:27 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

well All I got to say to this comment is if the vehcle is not in MOT and Tax in the UK then It is NOt legal to drive in France Germany, or anywhere else. Well I think I covered that part, your problem is getting it to the port. Once in France you can get a MOT and Assurance.

Buying a Van in France Simple Not a option too expensive and how Do i get residence to get road registration. It will already be registered, You have to live somewhere when you come to France that will be your address.

No it is better if the vehicle has UK Tax , Therefore it can travel in the EU.
A letter from Axa.
Dear Mr Burgess,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that AXA Direct UK would not be able to offer insurance for your Australian friend, based on our underwriting criteria. AXA France may have different criteria so you will need to confirm this with your own insurance company too. Although we are both part of the AXA group we are actually separate companies.

Hope this helps.

Yours sincerely

Ramani Kaur

AXA Help Team
AXA Insurance - Together experience counts

So this does rather mean you are in a Catch 22 situation and it would also seem that others are rather critical of you because they do not seem to have much sympathy for your situation, why god only knows.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

well here is something for **** off Troll

you haven't actually read this post or the other one, have you, Admin has just sent in the TROLL hunter have they.
No .... no they havent. I'm the troll hunter, and I'm always here.

On numerous occasions people have tried to help you, and their frustration is showing now. Even I cant figure out what the crux of the matter is. Kontiki asked you a series of questions to try and make it more clear, but you ingnored them.

So ..... if you wane help, elucidate. If you just want to vent at us for your problems, then dont bother because it is pointless.

Hope thats understood .... clearly
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

in which case he must exchange and not surrender as has been stated, he still keeps his Australian as we do when we exchange.

If by 'we' you mean British licence holders in France then you most certainly DO have to surrender your UK licence when you exchange it for a French one and in fact your UK licence is cancelled by the exchange.

Give me one good reason why an assurance company cannot assure a car in another country, we know that not many do for longer than 6 months but why not.

Because the choose not to, no other reason required. There is nothing in law to prevent it.
First NO MOT= invalid assurance - Sorry that's wrong, lack of MOT never has invalidated insurance
SORN vehicles are not allowed on the public highway - Correct
No RFL = invalid assurance. Sorry that's wrong too, lack of RFL never has invalidated insurance
One negative letter does not mean that insurance is impossible to obtain.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

A letter from Axa.
Dear Mr Burgess,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that AXA Direct UK would not be able to offer insurance for your Australian friend, based on our underwriting criteria. AXA France may have different criteria so you will need to confirm this with your own insurance company too. Although we are both part of the AXA group we are actually separate companies.

Hope this helps.

Yours sincerely

Ramani Kaur

AXA Help Team
AXA Insurance - Together experience counts

So this does rather mean you are in a Catch 22 situation and it would also seem that others are rather critical of you because they do not seem to have much sympathy for your situation, why god only knows.

NO I can't get Insurance or Assurance as you call it, Because I don 't have residence in France, No Residence I can't get Road tax either. France is worse the the UK.

Kontiki Said. You have to live somewhere when you come to France that will be your address.

no I don't have to live somewhere in France I will be travelling. NO FIXED ABODE I am not looking for residence in France.

Kontiki. maybe you should rephase the letter to AXA and say when you refer to me aa Australian, after that say a Brittish Commonwealth Citizen.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 8:19 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

This is the problem.

A typical response from a UK or European Insurance company.

We can only provide quotes for people that live in the UK for 6 months a year and have a valid UK or EU driving licence.

If you meet these requirements, please go online to our website and obtain a quote.

I will only be in the UK less than 24 hrs, (maybe as long a 1/2 days only) I would hardly call that residence.

and yet if I hade a Brittish Driving Licence then there would be no problem with the Insurance and Road Tax, and definately NO problem to drive in France, as it is a EU licence.

SO I have a
Australian Driving Licence (Queensland) C class (vehicle up to 4.5 ton)

International driving permit Class B and C ( still valid)

need Insurance 3rd party to drive in EU

need Road Tax and MOT (UK)

need Insurance (some on Vehicle)

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 8:52 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:58 pm
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
One negative letter does not mean that insurance is impossible to obtain.
I take issue with you on this matter and I feel you need to back up your so called facts.

I suggest that you back up your claims with some real evidence from one an insurance company and two the MOT center.

Yes it was only one example of an insurance company refusing, maybe you will now take the time to find an insurance company that will issue you a certificate, instead of being so negative and un-helpfull.

Axa insurance have told me that they will not insure any vehicle if it does not have an MOT.
DVLC have told me also that as I am not allowed two licenses I must exchange my UK license for a French which will be reversed should I return to the UK.
I have done my research I suggest you prove your points.

The word exchange is another word for swop, to surrender is to give up all rights to something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.