EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No, thats not the point.

I cant re apply for my driving licence when it expires legally, because I am no longer resident in the UK, even though I am a UK citizen

Most insurance companies wont insure me for a car in the UK because I am a Spanish resident.

Most Banks wont open an account for me in the UK because I am not a UK resident, even though I am a UK citizen and have lived there most of my life.

These are the UK laws and rules that we have to abide by, just in the same way I would abide by the rules if I had moved to Australia or France
yes but your allowed to have a Spanish licence, or in time a EU licence when this is adopted by the EU, Because you have this You can have recognition in any country of the EU. so that is what allows you to still own a vehile at your oringinal Home address UK.

So I now have to go down this line of deceat, get the use of someones UK address, to go though all the steps to PUT this vehcle in my name for Insurance, Road tax and MOT, Then when I finally get the vehicle to France it may or may not be legal their either, Because I don't have a French address. and EU licence

Its EU ignorance
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that warrigal has also hijacked this thread on this rather unclear crusade. He's also on this thread with many replies to him/her.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cjm
Just to throw another pebble in this fascinating pond, how might one get on in Oz if I went to live there with a UK/EU licence?
NO problem, they would exchange your EU/ UK licence to whatever Australian State you are In. No one is going to tell you, you can't do this, No one is going to Tell you you can't Drive a vehicle. Infact you are entilled to Drive in Australia with a UK or EU licence. They will not re Test you

No one is going to tell you you can't have registration in a vehcle, The compulsory Third party insurance for the Driver of a vehicle is On the vehicle in Australia not the driver,. So efffectively, even if that vehicle was STOLEN and involved in a accident The Compulsory Third Party insurance will still pay for damage to other Partys (vehicles and people)
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warrigal
So efffectively, even if that vehicle was STOLEN and involved in a accident The Compulsory Third Party insurance will still pay for damage to other Partys (vehicles and people)
Third party compulsory insurance in Australia only covers damage to property, not people.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Third party compulsory insurance in Australia only covers damage to property, not people.
Well at least the vehicles damaged are covered, I wonder if it is the same in Europe.

even after buying this 3rd party insurance for the Driver
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I notice that warrigal has also hijacked this thread on this rather unclear crusade. He's also on this thread with many replies to him/her.
yes he has hijacked two threads on the forum as well as complaining about several European countries in addition to the UK.
This thread is entitled "Changing UK driving licence for a French one.
NOT "I want to have a bloody rant in which I will disagree with everyone else because other countries who will receive me as a guest will not do what I want."
This thread is going nowhere.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

NO problem, they would exchange your EU/ UK licence to whatever Australian State you are In. No one is going to tell you, you can't do this, No one is going to Tell you you can't Drive a vehicle. Infact you are entilled to Drive in Australia with a UK or EU licence. They will not re Test you

No one is going to tell you you can't have registration in a vehcle, The compulsory Third party insurance for the Driver of a vehicle is On the vehicle in Australia not the driver,. So efffectively, even if that vehicle was STOLEN and involved in a accident The Compulsory Third Party insurance will still pay for damage to other Partys (vehicles and people)
I'm sorry I got involved then, my apologies ... I was really trying to find out what the issue was because it was somewhat confusing at first
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

For Info

warrigal - wolflike yellowish-brown wild dog of Australia Canis dingo, dingo,
wild dog - any of various undomesticated mammals of the family Canidae that are thought to resemble domestic dogs as distinguished from jackals or wolves

Go figure
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:36 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

Rubbish The UK DVLA takes your Australian licence, and the always have done this. You are not allowed to have two Licences legally.

I can't get a exchange as I don't have perment UK residence, or visa status to be a resident, Tempory or Perminent.

All I know is from the information I have got is , a UK number plated vehicle In must have a insurane policy on it from a UK based insurance company.
I am sorry Warrigal but you are just not reading what is put down.

To clarify my sister is a duel citizen of Australia.
Your licence is not taken away it is exchanged and when ever you go back to Australia or any country in Europe you can request to have your licenec for that country back again.
So if you have a UK Licence and come to France and Exchange it for a French Licence you are just swapping it but when you return to the UK DVLA will do the same for you.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:48 am
Robert

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
With ref to U.K vehicles, they generally don't do it because the risks are higher, i.e. r/h drive vehicles on the continent being potentially more risky (overtaking, unfamiliar priority rules etc), plus the exorbitant costs of international or bi-lingual competent lawyers in the event of a serious accident involving injury or loss of life to the driver and/or third parties.
Those insurance companies that may insure for extended periods do so with a probable increase of charges, or in the worst case scenario would probably deny liability in the event of a serious accident, with reference to some very small, legal-binding print in the policy nullifying their responsibilities.
Stop and think on this one if what you are saying was true then we would not have that little thing called Green Card would we. Just take AXA assurance they are world wide are you trying to tell me that they are unable to get some one insured for another country of course not. The fact is that if they did that they would loose money and employ less people, but they would also have cross border problems with countries outside of Europe, but they do assure people if only for the maximum time of six months.

CIS Assurance insured my truck for all Europe and an additional green card covered the middle east. So the fact is that they do assure for other countries.

Warringal say's that the UK companies refuse to assure him until he has a UK licence, a place of residence and has been in the UK for six months. I think he is mistaken. There must be someone on here that has a UK assurance maybe they could ring and confirm this fact.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kontiki
Stop and think on this one if what you are saying was true then we would not have that little thing called Green Card would we. Just take AXA assurance they are world wide are you trying to tell me that they are unable to get some one insured for another country of course not. The fact is that if they did that they would loose money and employ less people, but they would also have cross border problems with countries outside of Europe, but they do assure people if only for the maximum time of six months.

CIS Assurance insured my truck for all Europe and an additional green card covered the middle east. So the fact is that they do assure for other countries.

Warringal say's that the UK companies refuse to assure him until he has a UK licence, a place of residence and has been in the UK for six months. I think he is mistaken. There must be someone on here that has a UK assurance maybe they could ring and confirm this fact.
The green card covers you to travel abroad for limited time if you are a UK resident.

If you are not a UK resident then most UK insurance companies will not issue a policy to you. If you are a UK resident they will cover you normally for holidays / 90 day period.

Now, having clarified that can we please return to topic ONLY as previously mentioned by cyrian.

Changing a UK licence to a French one is the topic
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:32 am
Robert

Mkitzyboy
I was answering what some other people wrote and it is all interrelated, buyt will take note and keep my mouth shut.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU countries and issuing or exchanging of licenses for travelers

The other thread was really for the discussion of "Changing a UK Driving licence for a French one" but was getting bogged down with other issues, hence the title of this new thread which I've moved the other posts in to.

Thanks all
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:49 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Senasible move Sue. If Warrgal wants to rant on and not listen to reason let him/her do it. She/he will reap the consequences. If this thread gets sensible, I may be back.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cjm
Senasible move Sue. If Warrgal wants to rant on and not listen to reason let him/her do it. She/he will reap the consequences. If this thread gets sensible, I may be back.
Another person hear that reads other forums around place.

There has to be solution to this
Driving in the EU as a traveller not a resident of EU

Therefore It is legal with UK or EU licence and UK address or EU address.

But not legal with any other countrys Drivers Licence and no residental address UK or EU

I can't get a UK licence when I don't have residence in the UK.

Last edited by warrigal; Mar 4th 2012 at 12:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.