Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to France

Emigrating to France

Old Jan 21st 2003, 7:33 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default Emigrating to France

Is emigrating to France the same as it is to the U.S or Australia, i.e. very hard work, costs a packet, takes ages and involves agents, or is it a lot simpler than that? Does anyone out there have the difinitive plan for how to do it.......PLEASE.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 8:42 am
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends.

If you're already an EU national, its a great deal easier. You don't need a visa or any permission of any kind.

Also for an EU resident it's less far than Australia and New Zealand so, emotionally and practically, it's not such a big deal.

Where do you live and what nationality do you have?
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 10:11 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Im from Greater Manchester, England. Just fancy a change of scenery perhaps somewhere with a better climate, and France and Australia are places I have in mind.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 10:32 am
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, as an EU national you have a right to live and work in France, so there are no issues about visas or the like. Also its not at all far away - parts of France are closer to Manchester than some parts of the UK are. You can come and go and, finances permitting, its probably feasible to think of keeping homes in both countries.

Culturally, of course, it is more different from the UK than Australia is and if the move is to succeed you will probably need to make a commitment to getting to grips with French society and French life - you'll want good French, if nothing else.

Lots of the same practical issues will still arise, of course - currency exchange costs, investigating the tax implications, do you keep your savings in the UK or bring them to France, how about opening a French bank account, do I need private health insurance, do I need to exchange my driver's licence, resit my test, reregister my car, etc, etc, etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 4:44 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

Thanks very much for your info, it will be very helpful in my decision.