Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

EDF and tarif ...

EDF and tarif ...

Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:30 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default EDF and tarif ...

... searched site but unable to find a suitable understanding of EDF and charges. Facture dated 09/06 - marked Cette facture est basée sur le relevé de votre consommation - is today, some 106kW greater, some nine days. Caracteristiques of the tarif is that it is a domestique option, puissance 6kW, with a code. Are we guilty of something? Do we need to discuss our tarif? Small house, electric hot water always on, two computers, two TVs, electric oven, radiators rarely used as wood burner in winter enough. Thoughts and comments most welcome ...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:10 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EDF and tarif ...

Originally Posted by cjm
... searched site but unable to find a suitable understanding of EDF and charges. Facture dated 09/06 - marked Cette facture est basée sur le relevé de votre consommation - is today, some 106kW greater, some nine days. Caracteristiques of the tarif is that it is a domestique option, puissance 6kW, with a code. Are we guilty of something? Do we need to discuss our tarif? Small house, electric hot water always on, two computers, two TVs, electric oven, radiators rarely used as wood burner in winter enough. Thoughts and comments most welcome ...
Hot water always on? What size is the tank and is there no timer? Ours for example is a 300 ltr tank for 4 people the power for it is on in the cheap rate period through the night during the day it is not powered, It is possible to wire washing machines and tumble driers into the cheap rate circuit as well but you need a machines that can support this as well some not all do. And a sound proofed environment for them to run through the night. We have 2 tellies and loads of other stuff plugged in. D

Dont run appliances at the end of extension cables always un coil the hover cable fully as that coiled wire will cause the hover to create more resistance. Sort of.

On a side note we pay 118 euro per month to EDf.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 17th 2011 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:44 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers KO, we pay €55 prelevement pcm. Inherited tank, but it is a newer type, but not on timer; not sure of capacity and need to check if we have manual and installation docs. I will speak with experts and see about putting one in the electrical feed. We can turn on and off manually via switch in house, so need to look at that come bedtime. Assume best rates are after midnight?
Yes, we have washing machine and dish washer, but not on that often (no jokes please).
Is EDF site any use? Not yet looked at it, but perhaps tomorrow.

Hope your weather is better than ours, blowing a mini gale and semi-horizontal rain. Knocking the greenery around something rotten.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by cjm
Cheers KO, we pay €55 prelevement pcm. Inherited tank, but it is a newer type, but not on timer; not sure of capacity and need to check if we have manual and installation docs. I will speak with experts and see about putting one in the electrical feed. We can turn on and off manually via switch in house, so need to look at that come bedtime. Assume best rates are after midnight?
Yes, we have washing machine and dish washer, but not on that often (no jokes please).
Is EDF site any use? Not yet looked at it, but perhaps tomorrow.

Hope your weather is better than ours, blowing a mini gale and semi-horizontal rain. Knocking the greenery around something rotten.

Hot and very humid to day, Pee'd down all day yesterday. Changeable would be an understatement. Have not had to water the new turf that much
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Hot water always on? What size is the tank and is there no timer? Ours for example is a 300 ltr tank for 4 people the power for it is on in the cheap rate period through the night during the day it is not powered, It is possible to wire washing machines and tumble driers into the cheap rate circuit as well but you need a machines that can support this as well some not all do. And a sound proofed environment for them to run through the night. We have 2 tellies and loads of other stuff plugged in. D

Dont run appliances at the end of extension cables always un coil the hover cable fully as that coiled wire will cause the hover to create more resistance. Sort of.

On a side note we pay 118 euro per month to EDf.
Think it sometimes depends on your meter and the feed (number of wires used) into your house.
We dont have separate circuits for cheap rate. I understood that "les heures creuses" were controlled by the meter.
We have one of the new meters and I can change the digital reading to show the full-rate consumption and the off-peak consumption.
EDF can read the meter remotely from a monitoring station.
The hot water can be over-ridden to be on; off or auto (i.e. overnight)
Like any electric or plumbing - it all depends on how it has been done.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
EDF estimated our annual consumption on property type and size.
We are not there all year so this worked out to be an over-estimate.
We pay monthly and ended up with an overpayment.
EDF put the excess straight back into our bank account and re-estimated the monthly payment.
Sorry cant help with different tariffs - didn't find the people at EDF the easiest to understand on the phone - must have said something right - electricity arrived and so did bills
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:21 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks cyrian, had a mental storm this morning, having lost at cricket yesterday, that the switch in the house, which we have been leaving on - thinking this IS the hot water switch and needs to be on full-time - is merely the over-ride switch; meter in garage is of newer type and I need to explore its buttons and see if I get two readings, one I know is for the full kWh, but I recall there was a second reading. A friend says that the modern meters, which can be read remotely, have a built-in facility to receive a signal from EDF that kicks in the cheaper night-time rate. If that is the case and we have that in place, then what I have been doing with the internal switch has been wrong, I should just use it when there is a need to top up hot water, not leave it on full time ... the saga continues ... more to come ...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Thanks cyrian, had a mental storm this morning, having lost at cricket yesterday, that the switch in the house, which we have been leaving on - thinking this IS the hot water switch and needs to be on full-time - is merely the over-ride switch; meter in garage is of newer type and I need to explore its buttons and see if I get two readings, one I know is for the full kWh, but I recall there was a second reading. A friend says that the modern meters, which can be read remotely, have a built-in facility to receive a signal from EDF that kicks in the cheaper night-time rate. If that is the case and we have that in place, then what I have been doing with the internal switch has been wrong, I should just use it when there is a need to top up hot water, not leave it on full time ... the saga continues ... more to come ...
That is my understanding.
However, I was told that there needs to be (at least) one additional wire coming into the meter
A kind of command wire to communicate with the meter.
If you have 2 active readings in your meter then I assume that you have solved your problem.
Good luck
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by cjm
Originally Posted by cyrian
That is my understanding.
However, I was told that there needs to be (at least) one additional wire coming into the meter
A kind of command wire to communicate with the meter.
If you have 2 active readings in your meter then I assume that you have solved your problem.
Good luck
That is the meter we have, It trips at around 11 pm every night, But the meter is not read remotely other than it can be read from the street as there is a sensor on the wall outside.

If I where you I would get an electrical savy person round to establish what you have and what improvements if any could be made to the system.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:39 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, we be doin' experimetation. Leaving switch off and sein' if water hot in mornin' - by Tuesday we may need shower. Masks on order! Advice sound, but lookin' to bottom this out before nxt steps.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:41 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Thanks guys, we be doin' experimetation. Leaving switch off and sein' if water hot in mornin' - by Tuesday we may need shower. Masks on order! Advice sound, but lookin' to bottom this out before nxt steps.
Okay, left internal switch off and water in morning vvhot, so we gain some understanding.
Now hoping to discover, before ringing EDF, if the Selection/Defilement buttons and the numbers they show relate to an overnight tarif in any form.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Okay, left internal switch off and water in morning vvhot, so we gain some understanding.
Now hoping to discover, before ringing EDF, if the Selection/Defilement buttons and the numbers they show relate to an overnight tarif in any form.
In our system there is also a thermostat on the water tank which I turned down because the water was too hot and we always added cold water to cool it down. This reduces the electricity used.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:12 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
In our system there is also a thermostat on the water tank which I turned down because the water was too hot and we always added cold water to cool it down. This reduces the electricity used.
No thermostat sadly, it's a 150litre tank and text on tank multi-lingual incl. English. I have make and model detail (sadly no manual) so will try and discover more.

Meter seems to have 8 read-outs.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
No thermostat sadly, it's a 150litre tank and text on tank multi-lingual incl. English. I have make and model detail (sadly no manual) so will try and discover more.

Meter seems to have 8 read-outs.
If there is a cover on the heating coil that sticks out from the tank, try under the cover. It might just be a little knurled wheel.
On the other hand - you might not have one
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:36 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Think the latter as the only protuberance is where the winking green light lives within and the legend on the cover says don't take me off. All else is blue cold in and red hot out, with pressure relief valve, auto set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.