Dog Gone It

Old May 1st 2009, 9:27 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog Gone It

Its bank holiday time in little old England. The sun is shining on Sheffield and all's well with the world. Unfortunately there's a bit of flu scare going round but fortunately Persildent Sarkozy has the good sense to ignore demands that flights to Mexico be cancelled. That is good because he is due to go there tomorrow where he is meeting Persildente Porcine the evil manufacturer of said virus in the pay of the Yankees supported notably by the evil Canadians:curse: They are the cause of all our ills you know. Canadians were the first to settle Palestine, I read it in the Old Testicle "And from the desert came a people who they were they were not sure". Anyhow. Enough of me. It was one of my daughters 5th birthday party today and we had a bit of drink afterwards and now I'm cheery so thought I'd say so. Canadians and the Portugeezers :curse:
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:06 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Gone It

Blimey, you'll get jumped by quite a few people there then - not after Clarkson's Foot-in-mouth award are you dearie?

We saw a programme about Sheffield last night, English Heritage (who do seem a bunch of dumb shmucks I have to say) bought for 3 million a huge ugly bunch of flats deeming them worth saving for "the nation". Forked out more millions "renovating" them - they seem to start off with good intentions and high fluting ideas, then their budget seems to dictate they make a dog's breakfast of it with tax payers bail out money and then the programme sort of ends and leaves us hanging not knowing what happens to all these "gems".

I sat through the whole thing thinking the whole area could have been hugely improved if they had bulldozed the lot and put in some pretty gardens with fountains. Was I missing a trick here in my usual little world called "Andy's Ignorant Cultural Wilderness"?
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:43 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why I do it Andy. I get bored and drool in words at times. As for Park Hill Flats. There is something you've missed which is that they are beautiful and look amazing there on the hill behind the station. Problems are with the people displaced each time it is developed. They were built for working class communities whose older terraced houses were destroyed as insanitary, poor build etc. But they went downhill after the first 20 years with unemployement etc. Now the people who lived there are once again on the move from them as the new developement is really for a middle class or at least young professional group who like to live near city centres, drink inappropriately and, this is the issue, earn money. One of the questions we all ask in Sheffield is: Who the hell are they? Do you know any? Will watch the programme on replay and get back.
T
Old May 2nd 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by treskillard
Its bank holiday time in little old England. The sun is shining on Sheffield and all's well with the world. Unfortunately there's a bit of flu scare going round but fortunately Persildent Sarkozy has the good sense to ignore demands that flights to Mexico be cancelled. That is good because he is due to go there tomorrow where he is meeting Persildente Porcine the evil manufacturer of said virus in the pay of the Yankees supported notably by the evil Canadians:curse: They are the cause of all our ills you know. Canadians were the first to settle Palestine, I read it in the Old Testicle "And from the desert came a people who they were they were not sure". Anyhow. Enough of me. It was one of my daughters 5th birthday party today and we had a bit of drink afterwards and now I'm cheery so thought I'd say so. Canadians and the Portugeezers :curse:
ACHOOO!!!! cough....cough....sorry lost me agian...must be this heavy cold i caught talking to my mexican friend in france
Old May 4th 2009, 1:11 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by Andrea50
We saw a programme about Sheffield last night, English Heritage (who do seem a bunch of dumb shmucks I have to say) bought for 3 million a huge ugly bunch of flats deeming them worth saving for "the nation". Forked out more millions "renovating" them - they seem to start off with good intentions and high fluting ideas, then their budget seems to dictate they make a dog's breakfast of it with tax payers bail out money and then the programme sort of ends and leaves us hanging not knowing what happens to all these "gems".

I sat through the whole thing thinking the whole area could have been hugely improved if they had bulldozed the lot and put in some pretty gardens with fountains. Was I missing a trick here in my usual little world called "Andy's Ignorant Cultural Wilderness"?
You're right the the EH lot do come over as what they are - really snobby people - but then when it comes to protecting architecture they're probably the ones most prepared to do it. I think their investment is less than 3million wasn't it half a million? it's 39 million lent to Urban splash that's the issue. There's so much shite developement in Sheffield - huge poor quality redevelopment - the Council is famous for having low standards for architecture. I hope the project works out. Not looking good though. Not sure about the new council leader here, Scrivens. Gossip locally says that the new leadership is not doing good in the council morale is low. Anyhow. I like the building - but I like the bits of the modernist dream that made it to the ground. especially if there's a good coffee machine in the design.