Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Do we, don't we?

Do we, don't we?

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we, don't we?

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
our son is ambidextrous - it was fascinating watching him develop - he now does most things right handedly but still often eats left handedly and doesnt bother with a backhand in tennis
Hmm. I'm not entirely convinced by the left / right dominant hemisphere theory, but I presume that if I was sufficiently interested to google it, I'd find that fMRI has provided an answer which proves me wrong.

As to handedness, I write left handed and am a bit left footed at football (insert Catholic joke here) but I batted right handed at cricket (and baseball) and play a right handed guitar.

I don't often use my hands alone to eat.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Novo, you never cease to amaze us. Was this you I spotted recently eating out in a French/Asian restaurant......
Spoiler:
Do we, don't we?-novo-goes-asian.jpg
Old Oct 24th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I'm not entirely convinced by the left / right dominant hemisphere theory, but I presume that if I was sufficiently interested to google it, I'd find that fMRI has provided an answer which proves me wrong.

As to handedness, I write left handed and am a bit left footed at football (insert Catholic joke here) but I batted right handed at cricket (and baseball) and play a right handed guitar.

Old Oct 24th 2015, 4:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Novo, you never cease to amaze us. Was this you I spotted recently eating out in a French/Asian restaurant......
Not me. As I said, I'm left footed.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

When and if you guys are rewriting the FAQ's...could you give some room for speculation about the implictions for GB leaving the EU? It will affect pensions and efforts to find work, perhaps taxation and health cover. Certainly doing business in cross channel situations with France will be different if GB is outside the EU. It will also affect the Pound/Euro exchange rate. Even having lived here for 15 years and having no intention to ever return to GB, I an see troubled waters ahead.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnet
When and if you guys are rewriting the FAQ's...could you give some room for speculation about the implictions for GB leaving the EU? It will affect pensions and efforts to find work, perhaps taxation and health cover. Certainly doing business in cross channel situations with France will be different if GB is outside the EU. It will also affect the Pound/Euro exchange rate. Even having lived here for 15 years and having no intention to ever return to GB, I an see troubled waters ahead.
What do you suggest?
The statement that it will affect pensions is unfounded speculation.
The UK has pensions arrangements with countries other than the EU.
Check out this list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pension
There are as many French citizens living in the UK as there are UK citizens living in France it would be in the interests of both countries to reach agreement on the treatment of each other's citizens.
IMHO opinion, all you can say is that there will be a UK referendum on EU membership and until we know the outcome we do not know what arrangements will be in place.
Therefore there is a period of uncertainty.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

But the FAQs mean what they say, Frequently Asked Questions. The question of what happens if or when the UK leaves the EU isn't very frequent on the France Forum, and, as mentioned, is speculative until it actually happens. The info given in FAQs is factual, with the occasional comment.
You can warn potential Expat retirees in individual threads if you feel strongly about the question, but I wouldn't think that the subject can be included in a Sticky (yet).
Old Oct 26th 2015, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a firm believer in, 'If it ain't broke, why fix it", & "Have no part in anticipatory anxiety" i.e. Don't worry about what hasn't happened. Speculation can be a dangerous thing without any evidence to back it up.
Having said that, one concern for the near future is something that one of the political parties have stated that they would implement on being elected, namely the creation of a new French franc.
I'll leave you to guess (amongst other implications) what impact this would have on the cost of living, and doing business here.

Until then, why worry? Just give a little whistle.....
Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
What do you suggest?The statement that it will affect pensions is unfounded speculation.The UK has pensions arrangements with countries other than the EU.Check out this list: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-state-pensionThere are as many French citizens living in the UK as there are UK citizens living in France it would be in the interests of both countries to reach agreement on the treatment of each other's citizens.IMHO opinion, all you can say is that there will be a UK referendum on EU membership and until we know the outcome we do not know what arrangements will be in place.Therefore there is a period of uncertainty.
Ex pat Brits do not get pension increases if they live outside the EU. Pensions are frozen.
What might be in the interests of anyone is not guaranteed when politicians are involved. Except their own interests of course.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ex pat Brits do not get pension increases if they live outside the EU. Pensions are frozen.
What might be in the interests of anyone is not guaranteed when politicians are involved. Except their own interests of course.
That is totally incorrect.
Did you not read the link?
It lists the non-EU countries that are indexed linked.
This list includes Israel; Turkey and the USA.
Read the link properly.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:15 pm
Born again atheist

Frankly I have stopped reading anything you write, your being so unpleasant.
Oh dear. When in hole stop excavating.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Throbster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Which bac is your daughter likely to want to take? If she wants to take a 'good' one it's not going to be a walk in the park even in her first year because it could be a bit of a culture shock, she'll likely find school very different from the UK - the teaching style, the expectations, and depending on what options she takes, the subjects themselves, some will be probably be totally new for her. The first year of the course is really about discovering her strengths and weaknesses, and if at the end of the year she hasn't "got to grips", she will be able to repeat the year.

The gite season tends to be quite short unless you're in a winter sports area, and it co-incides with when gardens need doing regularly and people want property and pool maintenance done, so if you need a year-round income maybe you should have a plan for winter too...

Which part of France are you looking at?
Midi Pyrenees/Albi area. Interview is at Lycee in Albi. We are looking at properties that have Gites/ B&B and also have building(s) that require conversion. I would use a builder for the structural work but would do fitting out myself as I'm more than capable.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

When and if you guys are rewriting the FAQ's...could you give some room for speculation
Erm. That would be a nopes for that.

FAQs is for informative facts. Not for speculation.

......about the implictions for GB leaving the EU?
This is for another independent thread where speculation may abound or not as the case may be.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think it'll depend a lot on which way she leans - if she's more maths and sciences, her studies to date would, I imagine, be more transferable. Though saying that, mathemeticians and scientists as a whole usually it finder harder to pick up languages. But at the end of the day, if she's a bright girl and motivated to make a go of it, and the lycée is supportive, she'll get there. Kids are very adaptable when they want to be
Oi! Cut the bullshit if you'd be so kind.
I excelled at sciences upto A' levels (Chemistry, Physics, and Biology), but couldn't learn a foreign language if my life depended on it. I rate a C grade O' level in French as one of my greatest achievements.

As far as I can tell my sister is exactly the same. She achieved an MSc in plant pathology in the UK, and later spent seven years in France (as a trailing spouse) without ever becoming fluent enough to get a job where speaking French as the primary language was required.

To the OP: moving a sixteen year old set on a track towards A' levels, to a foreign country where she is not completely fluent in the language and expecting her to fulfill her academic potential, is insanity!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 27th 2015 at 1:54 am.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 8:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Throbster
Midi Pyrenees/Albi area. Interview is at Lycee in Albi. We are looking at properties that have Gites/ B&B and also have building(s) that require conversion. I would use a builder for the structural work but would do fitting out myself as I'm more than capable.
As you know, Albi and the area is beautiful, which is why there are already many gîtes/B&B's there. If such properties are for sale, find out why and how long they've been on the market. Possibly older expats returning to the UK, but an unsuccessful venture might also be the reason.
If the Lycée Bellevue is envisaged, it has a good track record (percentage of BAC passes). If the Proviseur agrees to admit your daughter next September, she should spend her free time between now and then mastering French Grammar and style, reading French literary classics, and getting the basics of French History. Not to mention learn one of the "2nd" foreign languages proposed by the Lycée. Only then would she have a chance of keeping up with the rest of the 2nde class. As mentioned before, a student can do the year again, but would be going over the same syllabus and learning nothing new.
Re "fitting out", if you mean electricity and plumbing, they are both different from the UK and you'd have to follow French standards. And you wouldn't be able to "sign off" yourself, for Insurance purposes.
Hope all this is helpful in your decision!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.