Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

DIY or expert removals to France?

DIY or expert removals to France?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future
Default DIY or expert removals to France?

I am sure I will come across Eurotrash again on this thread.

Moving to France next month. I am selling everything meubles and will only have boxes of clothes, pots and pans, bedding, toys and general personal items etc. (oh a couple of book cases, a folding table and pc desk coming too). I know since being in this house, I have had quite a clear out. I had sold items over the last couple of years or given them away so I reckon once packed, all boxes would fit into one room (being no more than the dimensions/capacity of a 3.5t van or possibly smaller).

So, is it complicated to hire a van and get a friend to help me move the stuff across? I mean, am I likely to run into difficulties with customs? Or is there a declaration form or something I can obtain? (I know when I moved to Italy and back the removals company had an inventory and customs form).

OR do I have to forego the savings to avoid hassles by using a removals company??

Any help would be appreciated as I have been allocated limited funds to help with relocation costs and don't really want to have to dip into what I can't afford to spend anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY or expert removals to France?

You think ET's stalking you, don't you and guess what

No it isn't at all complicated unless things have changed. I hired a van and self-moved. You don't need any inventories or customs papers for personal domestic stuff. The usual first question is "did you pack everything yourself", and maybe a few more questions, but in a hire van with luck you'll drive straight through. Worst case scenario is that if you turn up when they happen to be a bit bored, they will do a very thorough search of the van. Don't hide any illegal substances in it, they have dogs

Obviously you'll need to tell the van hire company that you'll be taking it abroad, make sure have all the documents and that you carry a reflective jacket in the cab and have an emergency warning triangle somewhere in the van.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:30 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

We moved ourself to France customs open the van door and closed it again like you we sold loads of furniture but then wished we had kept it it certainly cost more here and easy the Ikea is their crap just don't last.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You think ET's stalking you, don't you and guess what

No it isn't at all complicated unless things have changed. I hired a van and self-moved. You don't need any inventories or customs papers for personal domestic stuff. The usual first question is "did you pack everything yourself", and maybe a few more questions, but in a hire van with luck you'll drive straight through. Worst case scenario is that if you turn up when they happen to be a bit bored, they will do a very thorough search of the van. Don't hide any illegal substances in it, they have dogs

Obviously you'll need to tell the van hire company that you'll be taking it abroad, make sure have all the documents and that you carry a reflective jacket in the cab and have an emergency warning triangle somewhere in the van.
Brilliant info as always ET!!

I do have reflective jackets in the (cos we have been going over there for the last 3 years anyway to visit our friends) so, looks like it will be a doddle. just need a driver now! how are you fixed for feb ET!!?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
We moved ourself to France customs open the van door and closed it again like you we sold loads of furniture but then wished we had kept it it certainly cost more here and easy the Ikea is their crap just don't last.
Yes I am a bit reluctant to let my leather sofas go. I have had them 7 years but they are still so comfy and as good as new, and you would not know they were nearly as old as one of my daughters! Its all my nice white goods (or black in my case) that I will cry over. I only bought them about 3 years ago, bought nice ones too as I could afford it at the time. However, the house is furnished over there and there is not any storage unless I pay for it elsewhere so it ain't worth it!

Fresh start all round - best thing!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astitchingtime
I am sure I will come across Eurotrash again on this thread.

Moving to France next month. I am selling everything meubles and will only have boxes of clothes, pots and pans, bedding, toys and general personal items etc. (oh a couple of book cases, a folding table and pc desk coming too). I know since being in this house, I have had quite a clear out. I had sold items over the last couple of years or given them away so I reckon once packed, all boxes would fit into one room (being no more than the dimensions/capacity of a 3.5t van or possibly smaller).

So, is it complicated to hire a van and get a friend to help me move the stuff across? I mean, am I likely to run into difficulties with customs? Or is there a declaration form or something I can obtain? (I know when I moved to Italy and back the removals company had an inventory and customs form).

OR do I have to forego the savings to avoid hassles by using a removals company??

Any help would be appreciated as I have been allocated limited funds to help with relocation costs and don't really want to have to dip into what I can't afford to spend anyway.
Hi there, I've just popped over from the Italy forum.

We moved from Scotland to Venice not long ago having sold up like you and with just boxes to move. We sent out stuff with UPS at a cost of £30 for each 60x50x40 box through the broker www. parcel2go.com. I don't know how this would compare for you cost-wise with hiring a van or using a removal firm. It worked well for us.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby2
Hi there, I've just popped over from the Italy forum.

We moved from Scotland to Venice not long ago having sold up like you and with just boxes to move. We sent out stuff with UPS at a cost of £30 for each 60x50x40 box through the broker www. parcel2go.com. I don't know how this would compare for you cost-wise with hiring a van or using a removal firm. It worked well for us.

Best of luck!
What a super link, Ruby. Thank you.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
What a super link, Ruby. Thank you.
Here's another www .pharosparcel. com

These guys usually take a few days longer because they send your parcels along with a load going to your destination (a bit like doing a part load removals), but they usually work out cheaper that way.

Never thought about sending household belongings though via courier. I used to do it when i lived in italy; come back to visit the UK, go on a megashop and ship it back.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astitchingtime
Yes I am a bit reluctant to let my leather sofas go. I have had them 7 years but they are still so comfy and as good as new, and you would not know they were nearly as old as one of my daughters! Its all my nice white goods (or black in my case) that I will cry over. I only bought them about 3 years ago, bought nice ones too as I could afford it at the time. However, the house is furnished over there and there is not any storage unless I pay for it elsewhere so it ain't worth it!

Fresh start all round - best thing!

Each of our children has killed one Ikea sofa they are useless when jumped up and down on for any prolonged period and one house guest so this time we got French ones they had better last or we will be sitting on the floor in the future.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Each of our children has killed one Ikea sofa they are useless when jumped up and down on for any prolonged period and one house guest so this time we got French ones they had better last or we will be sitting on the floor in the future.
Beanbags can be quite cosy!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:27 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

We used SIXT as they allow european travel with their hire vans from the UK.We went from the UK on the freight eurotunnel service and our friend returned it empty just on the ordinary eurotunnel without any probs. We did get xrayed (or our van did)on the way over, but no problems...just routine. All went well, just more expensive tolls as we had a luton van.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

they are useless when jumped up and down on for any prolonged period
Erm, but that's not what sofas are for
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:48 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Erm, but that's not what sofas are for
Thats where we were going wrong
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to get a quote for a part load try Anyvan - I have used them a lot for ebay purchases and if you wait for a day for all the quotes to come in you will then find you can cut about 50% off the cost, particularly if you can be flexible.

Many of the companies do trips to Europe so give it a try - you enter the details and are not under any obligation to accept a quote.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
If you want to get a quote for a part load try Anyvan - I have used them a lot for ebay purchases and if you wait for a day for all the quotes to come in you will then find you can cut about 50% off the cost, particularly if you can be flexible.

Many of the companies do trips to Europe so give it a try - you enter the details and are not under any obligation to accept a quote.

yes I have found Anyvan and the quotes are coming in, anything from £850 to £1400 so far. Maybe I am a worrywort but it crossed my mind, 'what if I send my stuff off in a van from one of these quotes and they run off with my stuff', are they legit companies on that site??

Maybe just me, but I don't want to lose all my belongings right now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.