Reload this Page >

Devis and impending work

Devis and impending work

Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:02 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Devis and impending work

We have had quite a bit of work done by good artisans in France, and received the devis, had the work done, then the facture etc etc. However we are now having the bathroom done which requires a deposit before he can start the work. He is demolishing the old shower, and building a new wall to move the shower, tiling, but not doing the flooring. He has on the bottom of his devis an amount that he requires up front, which is around 25% of the work cost. We have not done this yet, and a bit nervous doing so. Is this normal as all our other devis have just requires money after the work has been done. Can anyone advise on this please, and if there are any methods which could use instead of just writing him a cheque? He works with our local artisans, so should be OK, but not keen doing this up front.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devis and impending work

In my experience it's perfectly normal to pay upfront for the materials and e.g. shower stall etc., that the artisan will have to purchase before starting work.

Originally Posted by jvc
We have had quite a bit of work done by good artisans in France, and received the devis, had the work done, then the facture etc etc. However we are now having the bathroom done which requires a deposit before he can start the work. He is demolishing the old shower, and building a new wall to move the shower, tiling, but not doing the flooring. He has on the bottom of his devis an amount that he requires up front, which is around 25% of the work cost. We have not done this yet, and a bit nervous doing so. Is this normal as all our other devis have just requires money after the work has been done. Can anyone advise on this please, and if there are any methods which could use instead of just writing him a cheque? He works with our local artisans, so should be OK, but not keen doing this up front.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:17 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Yes. Well we have had work done like a new inox lining for a chimney, and he has not asked for the material costs up front and that was just as costly. Also we have had some guttering put up, and that did not require money up front either. Is there any "safe" way of doing it? After all, we cannot exactly run off anywhere....he knows where we live, and everyone knows everyone else?? Also, it is for the tiles and the new wall only. We have bought the shower tray, shower and loo, so most has been paid for and delivered here already by us.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Yes. Well we have had work done like a new inox lining for a chimney, and he has not asked for the material costs up front and that was just as costly. Also we have had some guttering put up, and that did not require money up front either. Is there any "safe" way of doing it? After all, we cannot exactly run off anywhere....he knows where we live, and everyone knows everyone else?? Also, it is for the tiles and the new wall only. We have bought the shower tray, shower and loo, so most has been paid for and delivered here already by us.
If you're uncomfortable with the devis, just get another one.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Uncomfortable paying the deposit, not uncomfortable with the Artisan's work.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The traditional way for artisans to work is a third up front, a third part way through and the balance at the end. But as Novocastrian says, if you don't like it get another devis, they don't all work that way.

If that is how an artisan works and that's what's printed on all his devis, it's unlikely he will agree to different terms. Having said that - sometimes I think they do it as a test, to see if a customer is in good faith. One artisan that I entered this arrangement with, took the deposit cheque but didn't cash it until the end of the job, and another just never asked me for anything until he'd done the job.

As you say, everyone knows everyone else, and he's the one with a reputation and a business to lose because if he takes the money and doesn't do the job you'd feel entitled to tell everyone. He, on the other hand, would probably not go around telling everyone that jvc hadn't paid him for work, because if he gets a name as someone who blabs about private business affairs in public, that wouldn't do his reputation any good either.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:29 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Well, he works along side our plumber, and both are working on the bathroom, and he (the plumber) has received all our payments immediately, so knows we are reputable. I have just emailed the bathroom guy to say we are happy going in and paying for the carrelage at the depot if he just provides the new plasterboard structure, which I think is fair enough. That way we are meeting half way, and hopefully that is sufficient. Problem is, we want to use him, as he comes recommended. Will see what he says!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:32 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

It varies our plumber finished our bathroom in July he gave us the bill to pay last week :homy: Just before Christmas When they rewired the house we gave them 20 percent halfway through and paid the remaining once he had tallied up what had actually been done.

You have to have a bit of faith in them and if they want / need money up front 25% does not seem unreasonable I personally would go over 50% before the jobs completed because I believe a trademans solvency will bear quite heavily out the outcome of the job.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:35 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

All the artisans we have used don't seem to fussed on getting their factures in either! Seems to be "as and when", and no real urgency which is rather strange. They do arrive but no real hurry for their money.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:45 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
All the artisans we have used don't seem to fussed on getting their factures in either! Seems to be "as and when", and no real urgency which is rather strange. They do arrive but no real hurry for their money.
It had got to the point where we thought he might have forgotten.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived new in France I bought a washing machine, as you do. I bought it from a little local electrical shop which sadly is no longer there. She ordered it for me specially (not asked to pay), it was delivered (no invoice), I went to the shop and she wasn't there and the girl behind the counter knew nothing about it. I must have called into the shop 3 or 4 times over a period of several weeks before I managed to pay for my washing machine.

There does seem to be a lot more trust on both sides than in the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:00 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

What irritates me is one of the artisans has done lots of work for us...just bits and pieces. We have had the devis and keep requesting the factures for the work he has completed so far, but he doesn't seem in a hurry to get paid. The problem is, we are having so much work done with other artisans we are trying to space out the payments, but he is so slow it means that everything will come in and once! He doesn't seem to have that concept from our perspective which is quite irritating.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The best way is once you know how much it is, put the money aside and consider it spent. Then it doesn't matter when they ask for it, it's there ready. Just like taxes... and cotisations... and insurances...
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:42 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
When I arrived new in France I bought a washing machine, as you do. I bought it from a little local electrical shop which sadly is no longer there. She ordered it for me specially (not asked to pay), it was delivered (no invoice), I went to the shop and she wasn't there and the girl behind the counter knew nothing about it. I must have called into the shop 3 or 4 times over a period of several weeks before I managed to pay for my washing machine.

There does seem to be a lot more trust on both sides than in the UK.
I still haven't got a facture for some emergency plumbing repair (a leaking pipe inside a 12" thick stone wall). This was two and half years ago.

I often see the plumber walking around the village and always remind him we owe him money. He always says he'll bring the facture but so far he hasn't.

I think it's because we offered him a glass of Pommeau (or two) the first time he came by.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:05 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Oh well, we can all live in hope!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.