Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Cross border business advice

Cross border business advice

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Energy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cross border business advice

Right, this is a little heavy but I'm looking for a few answers/advice so bear with me.

I own a non-trading/dormant limited company in the UK. Now that I have moved to France (and will work from home in France) I want to start using that company but am concerned about several factors:

1. Should my company be registered in France?
2. Should I keep it registered in the UK?
3. When I earn from UK clients and they pay me in £ into a UK bank account am I liable for UK tax?
4. When I earn from UK clients and they pay me in € into a French account am I liable for UK tax?
5. Does anyone know the name of the French self-employed goverment service which I need to speak to with regards to becoming a legal business in France?

I hear that tax on the self-employed/small business is 20% in France. Can anyone confirm this. I assume this is after social security is deducted?

I've spent time scouring the net for these anwsers but have come up dry.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all
Default Re: Cross border business advice

Originally Posted by Energy
Right, this is a little heavy but I'm looking for a few answers/advice so bear with me.

I own a non-trading/dormant limited company in the UK. Now that I have moved to France (and will work from home in France) I want to start using that company but am concerned about several factors:

1. Should my company be registered in France?
2. Should I keep it registered in the UK?
3. When I earn from UK clients and they pay me in £ into a UK bank account am I liable for UK tax?
4. When I earn from UK clients and they pay me in € into a French account am I liable for UK tax?
5. Does anyone know the name of the French self-employed goverment service which I need to speak to with regards to becoming a legal business in France?

I hear that tax on the self-employed/small business is 20% in France. Can anyone confirm this. I assume this is after social security is deducted?

I've spent time scouring the net for these anwsers but have come up dry.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Maybe go to the Mairie as they may be able to direct you. You could also try calling the Inland revenue about this.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Energy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cross border business advice

Ah, yes well I'll think about calling the inland revenue but I'd rather get indepenent advice first!

The Mairie I can handle.

Many thanks!

When I work out the solution to this I'll post it here unless anyone beats me to it in the meantime