Reload this Page >

Crepi wall rendering

Crepi wall rendering

Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:41 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crepi wall rendering

Wasn't sure if there are any reputable french builders/painters on here? We have a home which has crepi on the exterior and would like to know if it is easy to get it painted over? We have noted there is no Inox in one of the chimneys, hence the reason we have lost some of the rendering (Crepi) on the outside of the chimney due condensation. We have someone to repair the Crepi in the Spring next year, but also wan't to get the Crepi repainted on the whole of the house? I have read that Crepi cannot be painted, or at least is a sod to do. Does anyone have any useful comments on this material?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crepi wall rendering

Originally Posted by jvc
Wasn't sure if there are any reputable french builders/painters on here? We have a home which has crepi on the exterior and would like to know if it is easy to get it painted over? We have noted there is no Inox in one of the chimneys, hence the reason we have lost some of the rendering (Crepi) on the outside of the chimney due condensation. We have someone to repair the Crepi in the Spring next year, but also wan't to get the Crepi repainted on the whole of the house? I have read that Crepi cannot be painted, or at least is a sod to do. Does anyone have any useful comments on this material?
Hi, I wouldn't say he's reputable, but my OH says it's quite possible to paint over crépi. For old crépi, you look for "façades extérieures dégradées" at your local DIY shop and simply paint over the crépi. It's relatively quick and simple, using a roller....
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:48 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Get a painter in as they will spray the house which would make the whole process a lot easier but the term Crepi is pretty loose as it includes concrete renders as well. It would make sense to check that none has blown hollow taping sound i.e. it unbonds from the wall but doesn't fall off.

Is the house insulated as if it is not now days you can get it wrapped in a big blanket then re rendered with an epoxy mesh to prevent future cracking.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:13 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Ok good thanks. Yes the house is extremely well insulated, we are lucky in that respect. It is just the chimney that requires new rendering as the condensation has formed due to the lackof the inox in the boiler chimney. The wood burner one was done and is fine, it is just the Boiler chimney.
All good advice thanks.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:51 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well I like to think I'm a reputable builder but I've retired now after 20 odd years building and renovating in France.
You don't mention how the chimney is constructed which is important as putting in a stainless steel duct may not solve the problem.
If the house is recent is should be with boiseaux which are terre cuite insulated square blocks normally 40x40 stacked on each other (often fitted upside down in error which can give the same problem).
If the crépis (I've always seen it with an s at the end) is dropping off you should be able to see what's underneath.
Let me know and I'll give you some more advice on how to deal with it.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
If the crépis (I've always seen it with an s at the end).
I beg to differ, it's "crépi" in the singular!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:00 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you want to be pedantic…crépi is the past tense of the verb crépir so it can be neither singular or plural.

Like many words in French the spelling of this word varies - in the building industry it more often appears with an "s" on the end than without. See the following suppliers for example:-

http://www.fdmmarseille.fr/produits/monocouche/
http://www.sopas-sa.ch/
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well if you want to be pedantic…crépi is the past tense of the verb crépir so it can be neither singular or plural.
Well, I like being pedantic! The term "crépi" is the past participle of the verb "crépir" and is used both as a noun and as an adjective. Look in any dictionary....
With all due respect, you were also being pedantic, "correcting" our spelling!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

I did not correct you, I merely said I had seen it more often with an "s". If you wish to fall onto this particular sword then so be it but a language is, after all, defined by common usage so in this case there is no right and wrong spelling.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Returning to the subject, I used a roller to paint my crépi façade. I bought an expensive, shaggy roller which succeeded in holding more than enough paint to get into all the nooks and crannies. It was hard work and involved plenty of ladder-work. Getting a professional to spray the house was clearly the most effective way, but the costs involved were prohibitive.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

In many ways there are advantages in painting over crépi/crépis as it’s so much easier to repair the odd chipped corner. Also the discolouring caused by humidity near the ground or the drip lines up near the roof tiles can be covered up.

What paint did you use in the end?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
I beg to differ, it's "crépi" in the singular!
I'm afraid I have to agree. 'Crépis' with an 's' is a wild flower, to be found in fields. It has yellow or pink flowers. Also known as 'crépide' (feminine), and for those classics scholars, its etymology is Greek, then Latin. I'm not sure it would be of much use on an outside wall.

'Crépi' is the correct spelling for what you might want to cover your walls with. Un beau crépi may refer to excessive use of make-up for a woman; depending on what the speaker is looking at.

Interesting, innit, although perhaps not important enough to get one's knickers in a twist.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:22 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Eeek! To spray or not to spray? Either way, judging on the cost of painting the interior of this place, it ain't gonna be cheap!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen manual crépi machines in my local Bricomarche, and often wondered if they're any good. Looks like THIS.
I note that one can also hire them - THIS one's a little more sophisticated.
A couple of different types in action follows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGO_SS5lp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJz9qglSHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8M0qJ0HZrk
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:18 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I can find plenty of examples of "Crépis" with google but imho think it's an old word which is more out of fashion in France in relation to coating walls.

That aside the OP needs to clean the walls first a get a good jet washer clean off any mildew that has grown before painting the house.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I've seen manual crépi machines in my local Bricomarche, and often wondered if they're any good. Looks like THIS.
I note that one can also hire them - THIS one's a little more sophisticated.
I had one of them it got tossed in the bin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.