Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living(Sud de la France)

Cost of Living(Sud de la France)

Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Wdolidol has a brilliant futureWdolidol has a brilliant futureWdolidol has a brilliant futureWdolidol has a brilliant futureWdolidol has a brilliant futureWdolidol has a brilliant future
Default Cost of Living(Sud de la France)

I've had a look around and got a basic idea of cost of living, but it would be very comforting to know how much it would cost to live for a month, especially I have to save to survive a few months.

I've got this impression so far:

Living costs:
300 euros – rent(1 bedroom flat)

180 euros – food(including toothpaste etc)

Either use local transport – 50 euros a month
Or
Use a car, anybody got an idea on insurance, petrol etc? I've heard the French don't charge road tax, but have other taxes?

Health insurance – 40 a month(not sure if i’ll have to pay this, as i'm an EU citizen, I have one of those health card things, could someone please advise me on this?)

Emergency – 50 euros

Misc(books, newspapers)– 100 euros

I've heard income tax is around 20% for the lower earners. As all i'll likely to be doing is giving private english teaching to French people, will I have to pay tax?

Would you say my estimations are about right?

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

MrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really niceMrRee is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of Living(Sud de la France)

I would suggest you contact your student union and see what deals they are doing on travel insurance.

Secondly 45 euros a week seems very cheap for food,that's only 6ish euros a day without washing powder or other one-off buys.

Thirdly,you mentioned rent,but didn't mention deposit or the average length of contract for renting,(in the uk it's generally 6 months) can you afford to pay for 6 months in advance???

Fourthly,look in to Cheque d'employ (sp) and also into opening up a French bank account for your wages to go into.(Barclays ask for 1500 euros up front to open an account).

Fifthly,if you're using your car,get it insured,taxed and MOT'd for a year before you go so you won't have to worry about the cost of a CT,french insurance or registration costs whilst there.

Sixthly, (never typed that before,looks weird) you haven't accounted for alcohol,nightclub entry fees or sunbed rentals,suncream or entertaining a good looking woman/man to a special meal at a decent restaurant, condoms and thrush cream.

Save your money,don't commit to staying in one place for very long,have a blinding trip traveling around for the summer,come home for the winter and plan your next trip out there for next year fore-armed with all the knowledge you have gleaned from being there and experiencing it. If you don't strike lucky the first time with a job (and personally,if I were you,that's what I'd have in the back of my mind) then there is always next year and your priorities might have changed by then,(especially if you didn't factor in the cost of condoms!!). Go have fun my friend,wing it and enjoy your freedom........(Agony Uncle) Ree
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:38 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,the only thing I can really comment on is the rent,here,you put down 2 months,and its a three year contract,if you want to leave its 3mthss notice and if they want you out they have to give you 6mths notice.There is talk of it comming down to 1mths deposit,but thats just talk at mo.Good luck to you,hope it all goes well
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Hi

South of France is a big place.

In general, costs are less away from the coast, and the further West you are.
Central Nice is more expensive than central Montpellier is more expensive than Perpignan.

You'll find it difficult to find a 1 bed apt for Euros 300 per month. And, you may be lumbered with a sizeable lump up front because owners are looking for security which normally means an employment record, salary slips, etc.

Bonne chance

Peter