Cost of living in France.

Old May 10th 2015, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Steviecops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in France.

Mmm, not the ideal location are they.
Old May 10th 2015, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Intours
They are OK....but the region ?????

Stay away from green acres at the moment and use the 'le bon coin' for searching for houses.

You need to find horsey regions. The region/area/village I gave you is a good bet.

The most important thing is that you find a house that you can easily sell back at the same price that you bought it. That is hard with cheap property.
What's wrong with green acres?

I would stay away from a property which is too big... the costs to heat the house would be horrendous.

If these properties are cheap it's also because they are in 'unattractive' areas.
Old May 10th 2015, 2:06 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Intours
They are OK....but the region ?????

Stay away from green acres at the moment and use the 'le bon coin' for searching for houses.

You need to find horsey regions. The region/area/village I gave you is a good bet.

The most important thing is that you find a house that you can easily sell back at the same price that you bought it. That is hard with cheap property.
There is nothing wrong with Greenacres they are just a combined front for lots of other agents and they take a percentage of the agency fee. Personally I would look on Greenacres then try to match the photos to what ever agents is actually selling the house as all Greenacres do is refer you to the agent in question anyway.

To the OP you get far better value for money in the north
Old May 10th 2015, 2:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steviecops
Ah, thank you for pointing out my mistake and making things clear. I hadn't realised, sorry. Yes, I meant £70 - £80 k. I've been looking at houses that require modernisation, not restoration, with enough land and one or two outbuildings for round that figure or just under. My budget won't exhaust the lump sum I'll get when I retire. It's going to boil down to whether I can survive on my monthly pension with all the taxes, etc, taken into account.
You're welcome.
Old May 10th 2015, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

That's interesting. Can you recommend somewhere with a nice climate in the north?
Old May 10th 2015, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure ??

In terms of Greenacres....I would not waste my time unless you want to live in Eymet

I personally would stick with le bon coin, sologer and any nortaire website you can find....like Immonot.com : L'immobilier des notaires | Annonces immobilières | Achat immobilier

Greenacres is for expats Expat sites = being ripped off.
Old May 10th 2015, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steviecops
That's interesting. Can you recommend somewhere with a nice climate in the north?
Nice climate in the north... this is an oxymoron

There's no nice climate in the north I'm afraid!
Old May 10th 2015, 3:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer

Nice compared to what? How do you want to define "north" in the context of France? Is the Loire Valley north or south (or neither)?

The climate in Basse Nomandie is "nice" compared to where I think you are now.
Old May 10th 2015, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with Greenacres they are just a combined front for lots of other agents and they take a percentage of the agency fee. Personally I would look on Greenacres then try to match the photos to what ever agents is actually selling the house as all Greenacres do is refer you to the agent in question anyway.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Yes north is cheaper but also it would be more difficult to sell the house (no jobs in this area) if he changes his mind and wants to go back to the UK.

Plus weather is crap.
Old May 10th 2015, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nice compared to what? How do you want to define "north" in the context of France? Is the Loire Valley north or south (or neither)?

The climate in Basse Nomandie is "nice" compared to where I think you are now.
I guess Chatter Static means everything above Paris but I may be wrong..

Basse Normandie is nicer than Newcastle yes but not fantastic! Too cold to enjoy your retirement in my opinion.

I'm gonna buy a small island next to Scotland, in 20 years it will be as warm as South of France!
Old May 10th 2015, 4:00 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Loire Valley it is now 30+ in the sun at right this second We are 2 hours from Paris and an 1.30 from St Malo. It's all north of our last location.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Yes north is cheaper but also it would be more difficult to sell the house (no jobs in this area) if he changes his mind and wants to go back to the UK.

Plus weather is crap.
The OH had no issue finding work imho it's being able to speak French and putting the effort in. If you invest in a house that appeals to the French as well and renovate it using bonafide local tradespersons so it doesn't end up ending up looking like "A place in the sun" show house you will certainly sell one quicker.

Yes a damp musty holiday home will sit on the market for ages post war dreams and newer round here are still shifting there are lot's of bargains if you wade through lots of crap
Old May 10th 2015, 4:31 am
Born again atheist

I guess Chatter Static means everything above Paris but I may be wrong..

Basse Normandie is nicer than Newcastle yes but not fantastic! Too cold to enjoy your retirement in my opinion.

I'm gonna buy a small island next to Scotland, in 20 years it will be as warm as South of France!
While that is possibly true, the small island may also be under the sea.
Old May 10th 2015, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Loire Valley it is now 30+ in the sun at right this second We are 2 hours from Paris and an 1.30 from St Malo. It's all north of our last location.

If you invest in a house that appeals to the French as well and renovate it using bonafide local tradespersons so it doesn't end up ending up looking like "A place in the sun" show house you will certainly sell one quicker.
I totally agree. That is how you do it. French houses sell.....not generally ones owned by expats though...
Old May 10th 2015, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

The OH had no issue finding work imho it's being able to speak French and putting the effort in. If you invest in a house that appeals to the French as well and renovate it using bonafide local tradespersons so it doesn't end up ending up looking like "A place in the sun" show house you will certainly sell one quicker.

Yes a damp musty holiday home will sit on the market for ages post war dreams and newer round here are still shifting there are lot's of bargains if you wade through lots of crap
Yes but people will buy where their jobs are so if he wants to sell it quickly he will struggle imo.
Old May 10th 2015, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Mmm, I'm liking the sound of the Loire Valley!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.