consumer rights

consumer rights

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:38 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default consumer rights

We have recently had double glazing fitted by a local company in Normandy
we have paid 10% deposit the work was supposed to be completed in April the work has just been completed we were not at the house during the fitting or completion there have been a few problems i.e.large hole not filled around front door scratches ,large areas filled with foam where light shines through.
I wonder now what is the best course of action, hold back payment until rectified? hold back some money?Where do we stand? is it legal to hold back payment? How does the legal system work in a case like this?
Any advice appreciated.
JAN.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: consumer rights

Originally Posted by jan
we have paid 10% deposit the work was supposed to be completed in April the work has just been completed we were not at the house during the fitting or completion there have been a few problems i.e.large hole not filled around front door scratches ,large areas filled with foam where light shines through.
I wonder now what is the best course of action, hold back payment until rectified? hold back some money?Where do we stand? is it legal to hold back payment? How does the legal system work in a case like this?
Any advice appreciated.
JAN.
my experiance of france is NO ONE has any responcibilty and NO ONE admits fault

DO NOT PAY ANOTHER EURO!!!!

this 'might help'??

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/html/c...uits/liste.htm
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jan
Any advice appreciated.
JAN.
Did you draw up a contract for the work to be done? In theory, the company should have insurance on the work they do. Don't pay them a cent until you find out your legal situation. You could also try going to the Mairie as they have people who can advise you of your rights and point you in the right direction. Also there's a French equivalent of small claims court although I can't remember what the limit is.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:11 pm
jan
classy clipper

Originally Posted by bourgogne
my experiance of france is NO ONE has any responcibilty and NO ONE admits fault

DO NOT PAY ANOTHER EURO!!!!

this 'might help'??

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/html/c...uits/liste.htm

Sound advice many thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:13 pm
jan
classy clipper

Originally Posted by proo
Did you draw up a contract for the work to be done? In theory, the company should have insurance on the work they do. Don't pay them a cent until you find out your legal situation. You could also try going to the Mairie as they have people who can advise you of your rights and point you in the right direction. Also there's a French equivalent of small claims court although I can't remember what the limit is.

Yes we have a contract.I was worried they might damage the proprty as i dont reside there.Thanks for your reply.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jan
Yes we have a contract.I was worried they might damage the proprty as i dont reside there.Thanks for your reply.
Take the contract with you to the Mairie and also take some photos to show what a crap job they've done. The lawyers at the Mairie can sometimes write an official letter if the place is inhabitable to the shoddy work. They prefer to advise rather than actively get involved however if it breaks basic habitation rules, they can step in.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by proo
Take the contract with you to the Mairie and also take some photos to show what a crap job they've done. The lawyers at the Mairie can sometimes write an official letter if the place is inhabitable to the shoddy work. They prefer to advise rather than actively get involved however if it breaks basic habitation rules, they can step in.
good advice Proo

in france it seems the system is PAY and then complain!!!! how daft is that?

meet the english speakers i'm NOT paying deal with it!!!

I have an issue of the most enormous probs with my mothers new house, its been been ..... kind of, they wanted her to accept it in April

and this week you know they are just plastering the walls she has refused them over 28,000€ and she is sitting on it as advised

the company have failed after over a YEAR to supply a copy of the contract!

they failed so far to

provide access
a kitchen
a bathroom
any floor tiles

all paid for all in the elusive contract they WONT supply

insurance and notaire backed off when contract was mentioned no one to help so we are doing the waiting game...... they ring daily on both phones ... now i have to write and tell them NEVER RING MY HOUSE EVER AGAIN, you write the letter box works!

nothing in the post,

maison phenix people, not only the biggest builder but according to the AAMOI the worst the entire group are like this its the standard it seems??

now meet the english.......... they dont back donw like the french, how long do they want to play the game? my mother is so upset she no longer wants the house, how bad is that?