Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Computer problems

Computer problems

Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

WATTO.CW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computer problems

I recently spoke to a helpful man north of Limoges who fixed computers. I didn't take his name or number unfortunately. Could he contact me?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer problems

Originally Posted by WATTO.CW
I recently spoke to a helpful man north of Limoges who fixed computers. I didn't take his name or number unfortunately. Could he contact me?
Did you contact him through BE or ...
Anyway, if you need help i'm good with computers, just shoot me a PM
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:41 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the issue?
Old May 12th 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

WATTO.CW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Whats the issue?
I'm sure it's minor - it's slow and I've got a some viruses. I also can't open some messages. It's asks me to choose between a number of formats - and won't work anyway. I therefore have dozens of files I can't access.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

What anti virus have you got installed? Can't it get rid of the bugs if you do a scan?
Old May 12th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

I'm sure it's minor - it's slow and I've got a some viruses. I also can't open some messages. It's asks me to choose between a number of formats - and won't work anyway. I therefore have dozens of files I can't access.
Have you been keeping your anti-virus up to date? It usually catches stuff like this. You haven't clicked on any banner ads or any email links, have you?
Old May 13th 2014, 2:20 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

download CCleaner for your computer -it cleans out cookies and other stuff that makes your pc slow.

and then microsoft security essentials as your anti-virus. It's very good and there's no need to pay for anti-virus software.
Old May 13th 2014, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
and then microsoft security essentials as your anti-virus.
Unless you're still on Windows XP in which case ms security essentials no longer supports it. If that's the case, the best free anti-viruses are generally agreed to be AVG, Avast! and Avira.
Old May 13th 2014, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Eset do a pretty good free online scan too.

I use microsoft SE and periodically do the Eset one too
Old May 13th 2014, 2:58 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

CCleaner is good at deleting cookies, history and temp internet files. It's been over a week since I ran it and just now it cleaned 113MB of stuff, so if you have never cleaned your system, this may be a pointer. Also keep heavy stuff off your desktop.

You might also like to take a look at Malwarebytes. There is a free version which I use and it has come up trumps on a number of occasions especially with PUPs.

MS Essentials I also run as a back-up fail-safe, plus Avast, again free. Several of my French friends also use Avast.

And, be aware of e-mails coming in. The real bogus ones are easy to spot, but if you have a friend whose mail has been compromised and the address book copied, it may look genuine. Even opening can be a hazard and any link avoid opening at all cost. If in doubt, delete and send separate mail back to the person to check the mail was genuine.
Old May 13th 2014, 3:38 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I go along with all the advice given here except that it's not true that you can get a virus by simply opening an email - you would need either to open the attachment in the email (which would most likely be an .exe file) or follow a link to a website where you are asked download and execute a file (again most probably an .exe).

A good precaution, if you're suspicious about an email, is to right-click the sender to see if the email address looks fishy and also to google the subject of the email to see if it's a known threat.

Finally most emails warning of viruses are simply a hoax which you certainly shouldn't forward to your friends and family without first checking the subject line on google.