Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Completely New - Property - Point me in the right area! :)

Completely New - Property - Point me in the right area! :)

Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

gpt1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Completely New - Property - Point me in the right area! :)

Hi All,

Im here on a bit of a pipe dream but we've all got to start somewhere! Hopefully some kind person can have a quick read and point me in the right direction, or even to a few other threads. I did a search but struggled to find anything in about 30mins so heres my post

The synopsis. The dream is to have a rural property, 5+ acres of land, my own private lake (doesnt have to be there already), just a nice little get-a-way!. I lived rural when i was younger in the uk but the reality is properties now a days in a rural environment, detached with a few bedrooms is likely to cost £250-£300k+ in the uk (Without any land!). So ive started asking myself how i can still achieve the dream of owning a rural property that i can enjoy for years, and also something i can take advantage of when i retire. At the moment, im hoping the solution is buying a property abroad!

My budget would be approx £100-£120k although i guess this is flexible

The amount of research required here i know is vast! so im hoping someone can point me in the right areas and just give me a few research pointers. To clarify, i am not planning on moving abroad, certainly not yet anyway. But 5x-6x a year i would be getting away with my family, letting other family members stay there and one day when i retire, i can go much more frequently for longer periods.

So without getting to in depth straight off, the simple question is... Where do i start looking? are there any recommendations or stand out places? The first thing i have done is asked myself what i would like from the location and the answers were -

Somewhere warm in the summer
Somewhere nice and cold, within range of skiing facilities in winter
Somewhere with good travel links around europe
Somewhere near a hub? im thinking cheaper flight costs (important if i want to go frequently)

Looking at a map, i thought the Grenoble region would be a good starting point? i do mean not in Grenoble itself, lets say within an hours travel.

South of france is hopefully warm in the summer
Close to the alps for winter
Links into italy, south france coast, switzerland etc
Near to Geneva, Turin & Lyon for flights.

Now for all i know at this stage Grenoble prices could be like London prices! I basically was hoping someone could idetify a few strengths/pitfalls with the areas im looking, things im trying to do. Once ive narrowed down an area and done a little research i will obviously go out there and take a physical look for myself, i just need to narrow down areas first.

Is france even the best place to be looking?? I would consider other countries to look at if there are reason to.

Just a little nudge in the right direction to get me started please

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by gpt1985; Feb 27th 2015 at 6:26 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completely New - Property - Point me in the right area! :)

Hello Pete
Welcome to the forum.
France is a good choice for new-build because the system is very well controlled and you are offered a lot of legal protection.
It is normal to pay the builder a certain % at each stage of the build.
These payments are protected by law.
There are loads of small builders who will build a standard design cottage-type house for you in most regions of France.
These are local companies and you need to chose your location first.
Everyone chose their location to suit them - and that may not be exactly what you are looking for.
If you live in the country, you will obviously be more isolated and integration into the French community may be more difficult.
Have a look at this site: Notaires de France
under the drop-down menu there are guides to many legal points about living in France.
In particular look at inheritance law which is very different in France.
Good hunting

I may have mis-read your title and you don't mean a new property but the information works for an existing property also.

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 27th 2015 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

My first comment would be, 5 acres of land, you're planning on visiting half a dozen times a year, who's going to maintain all that land? You don't want to spend all of every visit mowing grass and tending the lake, do you. Land needs to be kept under control, as you'll know if you've lived rural. Once it gets out of hand it can be a nightmare.

My second comment and I could be wrong but my impression is that although property prices in France are low, I think that in the area you seem to be thinking of - with all the features that many people want - your budget for what you're looking for might be on the low side.

But I strongly believe that everybody needs a dream, it's what life's all about, so I hope you find your little bit of heaven.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

Eurotrash - I have no problem with long grass and a lake growing naturally, it can all be designed when landscaped so if im there 5-6 times a year i dont forsee that part of it being a problem. The main point is what you already challenged about the budget being low. I really have no expectation of house prices. Could you give me any ball park figures? even a wide spectrum? and again do you know of these sorts of figures that would fit any other areas of the country?

Cyrian - I was thinking existing properties but if i find the right plot of land renovating is something i would consider so thanks for the points!

Again the main question is the area. Any points around grenoble and its surrounding areas compared to other parts of the country that may suit my brief requirements? Maybe compared to areas nearer the Pyrenees?

I will then try and do more research on whatever particular areas are recommended and look into things a little deeper.

Thanks again!

Pete
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on yellow pages: PagesJaunes : Annuaire des professionnels et bonnes adresses
Enter immobilier in the first box and 38 in the "ou" box for the Isere department.
You can look at the estate agents websites to see what is available and at what price.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

House prices in areas near the Alps and Pyrenees tend to be on the expensive side.

The 5 acres with lake and reasonably nice house for 150,000 Euros can be found in the central area. Skiing is available in the Auvergne.

Check out a property site and try out a few areas.

Example

House for sale in Châteaumeillant, France : For sale, a renovated house, Préveranges sector in the region Cher Land: 6.7 acres

I think this one must be a mistake but it ticks most boxes.

http://www.french-property.com/vp/nv...d/552193/vi/1/

Last edited by cardi; Feb 27th 2015 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both of you will take a look
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

And wow that one that you listed as an error is heaven! that is definitely the dream will check out the property sites. I googled a few and kept finding mega expensive european properties costing a bomb!. If theres any other site recommendations you know do drop me a few links

cheers
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is with an extra 0 on - get your offer in quick before they realise,
Vente maison 7 pièces 126 m² Royère de Vassivière (23) - 230� 050 €
Other property sites
Annonces Ventes immobili�res dans toute la France - leboncoin.fr
or google 'immobilier france' and loads of estate agents will come up
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:26 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Here it is with an extra 0 on - get your offer in quick before they realise,
Vente maison 7 pièces 126 m² Royère de Vassivière (23) - 230 050 €
Other property sites
Annonces Ventes immobili�res dans toute la France - leboncoin.fr
or google 'immobilier france' and loads of estate agents will come up
Just how do you get 7 pieces into 126 m2 - are they including the toilets?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure you will find lots of semi derelict rural properties that fit your requirements but obviously the nearer to tourist areas and transport hubs you are the more the prices soar. I think you need to do the hard slog on the internet to narrow down some areas and then visit as the internet does not show damp and other structural problems well.

If you don't find your dream in France have a look at the Hungary section of this site. There are many rural areas that will be well within your budget and the cost of living is cheaper. There are ski areas over the borders and in the summer Hungary is very hot, with many beautiful lakes. The regular posters on the Hungary section are a friendly bunch and the moderator "Rural" works as a property finder and is very helpful. I considered buying there when French prices soared.

Good Luck - you have lots of reading to do.