community

Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of
Default community

hello,
When i was young i distinctly remember a song on sesame street "These are the people in your neighbourhood" catchy tune at 10 years old.
Now much older, i find myself in a foreign country with most of the problems of life magnified 10x.
Having lived in london a place of high multiculturisum, i have found France near the same.
Apart from the French native most i have encountered have roots from other countries either spainish,italien,arab,corsican,armenian,guedelopen ,north african,comonien,swiss,germany and other african countries and islands.
Myself i live in a french Armenian community,nice people russian looking(think of weightlifters in the 80's) they arrived in the 1920's after war with Turkey
(long story look on wiki).
Unusual houses with ornate roofs and ceramics on the walls making the area slightly different, highly religious orthedox church not good on sundays!!
Has been a education plus,people speak the mother tongue somtimes in the shops several specialty shops serving authentic food(meat big in diet).
Jean Reno is in a new french film about the Armenian mafia? can relate dark glasses ,black leather jackets, high proformence cars with blacked out windows are the norm in the main street. nice people though!!
Does anyone else live in a slightly different community possibly religous or other?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: community

I've a multitude of ethnicities around me. There's a lot of Jewish in my district, though they usually keep themselves to themselves. Each district of Paris has it's own ethnic flavour. I know one or two born and bred Parisians who are charming people (by and large I can't gel with most Parisians), but otherwise my friends in Paris are Brazilian, Chinese and Italian. I don't know any English here, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:21 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Where I was living in the south we had quite alot of English, Irish, Scots and Welsh . There was a bar run by them in the village and market stalls and other outlets locally where they could get their own food. Architecturally they were noticeable principally by the style of renovation and the piles of Ikea packaging. They were garulous particularly after an 'apero'. They liked markets alot and would come from miles around to sip milky coffees and eat pastries. Many of them still wore traditional clothing: walking trousers, fleece jacket and cross trainers. When I think of what they had to endure to get there (Ryanair fly to the nearest airport) I am full of admiration.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:11 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were in Brittany we kept a sharp eye out for any folk in traditional dress, but I never saw any. Pete did, but I was negotiating some weird flashing traffic lights so missed seeing them. I long to see women in the high hats (don't know the name) and hear some Bretonne being spoken, but our new neighbours are all English!

In Tarn-et-Garonne we did have an Algerian-French neighbour and other North Africans in the village, but generally our immediate neighbours were "very" French, which we personally liked.

Diversity always offers possibilities in communities and I think that's great.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:20 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Tres.....priceless.

All trad French chez nous. No, not jazz.....