Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Closing a bank account after customer deceased

Closing a bank account after customer deceased

Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing a bank account after customer deceased

Originally Posted by dmu
So the Acte de Notoriété isn't applicable and your informant is mistaken....
Did your father's friend deal with all the administrative steps mentioned earlier? Is she mentioned in his Will? In which case she'll be liable to Taxe de Succession on whatever French assets he has bequeathed her. Depending on their relationship, and if he didn't make provisions for her, you should keep an open mind as to her cooperation, esp. as you're "having to ask her".
Not knowing your own relationship with her, I'm thinking the worst-case scenario so that you're prepared, but hopefully there won't be an issue to add to your grief and feeling of helplessness.
In any case you should consult a Notaire ASAP, as the Déclaration de Succession should be made within six months of death.
HTH
It was useful learning what an Acte de Notoriété is, as I've found myself needing one!
The Bank handling OH's Shares Portfolio has demanded such a certificate from the Notaire, so that the shares which remained in the Succession can be sold.
Since he had gifted our property and we had signed a Donation entre époux, OH didn't write a Will. No problem as far as the family and Notaire were concerned, although the latter did take more than six months to settle the Succession, but the Bank needs the document in order to release the Shares. The Notaire has duly sent what he has called an "Attestation de Dévolution" and I'll be able sell the shares.
One less thing to fill in on the Déclaration des Revenus next year.....