Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

chimney sweeping

chimney sweeping

Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default chimney sweeping

There seems to be confusion about having your chimney swept. Some people consider using the 'brick' method to be fine. Others I know 'do it themselves' in the event of a fire will your insurance pay out on the methods above? Also, I have recently been told that the certificate issued with a registered sweep has a duplicate which is sent to the local fire dept. True or false?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chimney sweeping

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
There seems to be confusion about having your chimney swept. Some people consider using the 'brick' method to be fine. Others I know 'do it themselves' in the event of a fire will your insurance pay out on the methods above? Also, I have recently been told that the certificate issued with a registered sweep has a duplicate which is sent to the local fire dept. True or false?
Hi, I've always understood that Insurance won't pay out if you have a chimney fire and haven't got a valid Certificate from a registered sweep. I've no idea about a duplicate being sent to the local Pompiers, but I don't see how their turn-out would be affected if your house is or isn't "listed".
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:27 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

The attached advice may be helpful. I don't think the lack of a certificate prevents an insurance claim being accepted but it would certainly be very helpful. It seems if you are burning wood then two sweeps per year is recommended.

Construction et travaux - fiches pratiques
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe our local pompiers would want thousands of certificates sent to them, who would process them and where would they keep them?
But getting my chimney swept professionally is one thing I don't compromise on. I feel safer because quite honestly I think there's less chance of having a chimney fire if the sweep does it. How is a brick going to get rid of a bird's nest? Never mind arguing the toss with the insurers, I'd prefer not to get to that stage in the first place.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I can't believe our local pompiers would want thousands of certificates sent to them, who would process them and where would they keep them?
But getting my chimney swept professionally is one thing I don't compromise on. I feel safer because quite honestly I think there's less chance of having a chimney fire if the sweep does it. How is a brick going to get rid of a bird's nest? Never mind arguing the toss with the insurers, I'd prefer not to get to that stage in the first place.
+1
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:40 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

+2, although our neighbour (who is 80) climbs onto his roof and does his own every year. In fact, he did his last week. When we question it with him over the question of validity with assurers he just shrugs his shoulders, so he knows that it is on his own back. I am not sure at 80 I want to be hanging off of a chimney!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:28 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
+2, although our neighbour (who is 80) climbs onto his roof and does his own every year. In fact, he did his last week. When we question it with him over the question of validity with assurers he just shrugs his shoulders, so he knows that it is on his own back. I am not sure at 80 I want to be hanging off of a chimney!
Tie your zimmer frame to the roof or get an all terrain one...

Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:18 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

He actually resembled Father Christmas actually (our neighbour that is) with his red top but love this
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I want one of those.
To get back to the question of certificates and pompiers, I guess the reason the pompiers may be interested is that possibly they may charge you for coming out if they asked to see a certificate and you couldn't produce one. As regards the duplicate, I've always assumed that the sweep keeps those, so that insurance companies or pompiers can cross-check with him if the date on the one you produce appears to be suspiciously unclear or illegible. However, my sweep used to issue scruffy little scraps of certificates and I've noticed that the last couple have been more official looking and they have reference numbers preprinted on them, so maybe there is now some central register where they have to be returned to. But that's only a wild guess.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:22 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I may also add that our neighbour has a 3 storey chalet! You will never catch me doing that!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

As costs for just about everything here have spiraled over the last few years, I borrow next door's little lad, and little white dog about once a year.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/littl...p-17382930.jpg

http://bangorchimneysweep.co.uk/images/sweepdog.jpg

The most exciting time though is when the mum comes round looking for them both......
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/chimn...y-16091807.jpg
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:29 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how this urban myth about the pompiers being sent a copy of the certificat de ramonage got started. Can you imagine them looking through thousands of certificates before responding to an emergency call?

Interestingly, many ramoneurs are ex-pompiers so maybe they started the myth themseves to get extra business.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

we get ours done every year, for any insurance claims.

Although I have always wondered, if your house burns down, don't think a paper certificate is going to last it out!

Costs 50e I think
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:54 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I presume the ramonage would have a copy of this? I think the same, as our assurer has never asked for a copy of this.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:47 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
we get ours done every year, for any insurance claims.

Although I have always wondered, if your house burns down, don't think a paper certificate is going to last it out!

Costs 50e I think
Theoretically the person or enterprise used the do the chimney sweeping should have kept some form of record being a bonafide business n all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.