Reload this Page >

Child benefits in France / UK

Child benefits in France / UK

Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:38 am
Just Joined

dhana2319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child benefits in France / UK

Hi there,

I am new to the forum. My husband, French, is working here since October 2011 - but salary and Tax paid in UK.

We have one toddler and a nine month old baby. If we live in UK, we would have received child benefits. I would like to know whether I could apply to child benefits in France?

Or as we pay tax and NI in UK, can we claim chid benefits in UK itself?

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child benefits in France / UK

Originally Posted by dhana2319
Hi there,

I am new to the forum. My husband, French, is working here since October 2011 - but salary and Tax paid in UK.

We have one toddler and a nine month old baby. If we live in UK, we would have received child benefits. I would like to know whether I could apply to child benefits in France?

Or as we pay tax and NI in UK, can we claim chid benefits in UK itself?

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Hi, welcome to the Forum!
If your two were born in France, the CAF (Caisse des Allocations Familiales) will know about you through your CPAM and should inform you of your entitlements directly. If not, you would still be entitled (after the second child), so go along to your nearest CAF offices to get the details and maybe register.
Can't help re benefits in the UK, maybe you have to be Resident there, but in any case you aren't allowed to get both French and British!
P.S. please see my reply to your other post in Welcome Inn which I've just found! Where abouts are you living in France?

Last edited by dmu; Nov 24th 2011 at 12:39 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is an interesting one, and you'd need to speak to DHS Newcastle I think

Relating to Spain, if you work in the UK and pay UK tax and NI, whilst your family live in Spain, then the worker in the UK is entitled to clasim child benefit, and the family in Spain can utilise the Spanish health service as dependents under the reciprocal arrangement.

I know of people who are doing this. However the husband physically works in the UK and comes back to Spain on a regular basis and he is British.

So your circumstances differ in a few ways. As I said, I think you need to take professional advice and contact Newcastle.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Forum,

Normally when you a apply for the French version of Child benefit they will ask for a letter confirming you are not in receipt of CB in the UK. However if you can still have the British CB it would probably be more cost effective as you should be able to have Tax Credit as well. It`s worth researching a little imho.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I would say call the Child benefit people; you would be very marginally better off in the uk system but they will let you know what to do
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

dhana2319 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much everyone for answering so quickly! amazing help. I have called the child benefit and they suggested I should submit the benefit claim form to them

We live near Valence, Drome.

Cheers
Dhana