Child benefit

Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Child benefit

I just heard a rumour we could get child benefit. Any ideas how we would go about this?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child benefit

Originally Posted by loy loy
I just heard a rumour we could get child benefit. Any ideas how we would go about this?
If you have 2 or more children, you apply to your local CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales) offices, armed with all documents imaginable, esp. your IDs, Cartes Vitales and the children's birth certificates. There's an Allocation for everyone depending on how many children you've got, irrespective of the family income, and extra ones for special circumstances, and it's usually in the mother's name and sent to her account.
Hope this helps!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dmu
If you have 2 or more children, you apply to your local CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales) offices, armed with all documents imaginable, esp. your IDs, Cartes Vitales and the children's birth certificates. There's an Allocation for everyone depending on how many children you've got, irrespective of the family income, and extra ones for special circumstances, and it's usually in the mother's name and sent to her account.
Hope this helps!
thank you very much, still waiting for the Carte Vitale to turn up, it's only been 3 months so far though

And my wife doesn't have a bank account here, so we'll have to set her one up too.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much, still waiting for the Carte Vitale to turn up, it's only been 3 months so far though

And my wife doesn't have a bank account here, so we'll have to set her one up too.
If you've got a joint account, it will go there, but in your wife's name. No need to open an account just for that...
Collect together all the birth certificates and marriage certificate (and find out in advance whether you need to present French translations) while waiting for your Carte Vitale!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:29 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

They will probably ask for a cert confirming you no longer get it in the UK as well.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Thanks for the help.
You will have to prove that you are permanently resident in France and that the children are too.
PB
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

you dont need to prove you are permanently resident just have the letter from child benefit in the uk saying you no longer claim there.
This was the quickest responding set up that I had to do and they were great: think they even back dated it! (so make sure your letter from child ben uk states the date you left not the date now!

For 2 children you will get slightly less than the uk ; around 125 euros a month; for 3 or more it is significantly more;

It is also linked to your taxes; if your combined declaration with 2 children falls below 30,000 euros approx,(the level at which you owe no tax with 2 children) you will also get help with la rentree scolaire the following year (worth approx 700 euros!)
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Jane631 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
Does the same level of detail apply if one of my children is my stepson?
(moving over in the next month so want to try and collect all relevant documents now !)
thanks
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jane631
HI
Does the same level of detail apply if one of my children is my stepson?
(moving over in the next month so want to try and collect all relevant documents now !)
thanks
If your stepson is under 20 and à charge fiscalement, (he is included on your income tax forms) which presumably he would be, then yes, you can claim family benefit, as long as someone else isn't for the same child, and as long as he's normally resident in France.