Reload this Page >

cheapest way to insure an english car in France

cheapest way to insure an english car in France

Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

ravanelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cheapest way to insure an english car in France

Hi All,

I am wondering what is the easiest and cheapest way to insure my English registered car, now that I am resident in France. I may need my car just for a few months until I get a French registered car.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Neil
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:52 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheapest way to insure an english car in France

Hi Ravenelli,
I suggest you do a search in the french forum search box (main France page then up near the top on the right) for english registered car insurance France or somesuch mixture. There are a few - no quite a lot - of threads on this with the answers - or at least a description of the confusion. We managed to get a Eng reg car insured with the insurer knowing that we were not going to get the car registered in France. It worked but some people point out that this may not be strictly legal as there is the fact that Eng reg cars can not do the French MOT. Anyhow lots of opinions and storys so search for old posts on this.

Welcome to the forum.
T
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:48 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

We are about to take our English car over to Brittany. You can contact your insurance company who can issue a Green Card for you, which will cover you in France for, I think, 90 days. After that, you have various choices, but the 90 days gives you breathing space. Check the small print as with all insurance deals!!

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the answers and your welcome. But I am coming to the end of my 90 days stay and i`m not going back to the UK, so I need to sort something out here.

Last edited by ravanelli; Mar 8th 2009 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:56 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ravanelli
Thanks for the answers and your welcome. But I am coming to the end of my 90 days stay and i`m not going back to the UK, so I need to sort something out here.
All you can do is phone about, Policy changes from door to door, Or answered call to call. Something constructive ish I can add is that should you find an insurer and you then Crash thump donk the car, You will get bugger all back for it as they are prone to waving half the value of the Said motorized thingy because it is Right Hand Drive. And keep a copy of the English Accident form as it's tick boxes and questions are exactly the same as the french one but in English which is quite handy on the roadside for quick translation of the form.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:55 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ravanelli
Hi All,

I am wondering what is the easiest and cheapest way to insure my English registered car, now that I am resident in France. I may need my car just for a few months until I get a French registered car.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Neil
Try Stuart Collins & Co, a broker which sells an AXA policy. They insure our UK registered car in France. Its not cheap but you do not have many options (indeed I struggled to find any other options except re-register the car in France and get a local insurance policy).
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
Try Stuart Collins & Co, a broker which sells an AXA policy. They insure our UK registered car in France. Its not cheap but you do not have many options (indeed I struggled to find any other options except re-register the car in France and get a local insurance policy).
If you are a resident then you should re-register it anyway.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:50 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Are you? How do you do that then? What's for dinner?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
It hardly seems worth it, my car "sexy Sadie" is an old Saab 900, and i hope to get a French registered car soon. I have been here for about 4 months now.We have been to get it re-registered and the lady there said " tell them your just on holiday".......helpful!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
yes i am, not quite sure,and will have to wait till after the meeting about getting proper internet, we are on mobile internet. Ithink the french term for it is "merde"
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Cornish pasties for a change. ;-))

She wanted kebabs, but I said no.

Last edited by jdr; Mar 9th 2009 at 5:12 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Cornish pasties for a change. ;-))

She wanted kebabs, but I said no.

Don`t blame you, have English rubbish, not that foreign rubbish !!!!:-)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

My british registered and insured car policy states that I have 3rd party coverage automatically for travel in Europe - no mention of 90 day limits. I regularly go to France without notifying the insurance company, although I know there is a risk that damage to my own car would not necessarly be covered! For an older car, this might be worth looking into, although you would still need to come back to the UK every year for an MOT - just a thought.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by south_bound
My british registered and insured car policy states that I have 3rd party coverage automatically for travel in Europe - no mention of 90 day limits. I regularly go to France without notifying the insurance company, although I know there is a risk that damage to my own car would not necessarly be covered! For an older car, this might be worth looking into, although you would still need to come back to the UK every year for an MOT - just a thought.
I bet there is a time limit on it and you would have to be a UK resident and just on holiday abroad.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:28 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
It might be worth you ringing them up and checking. If you were stopped and they check your "papiers" and there is the 90 day limit (by the way it is not 90 days contiguous, it is 3 lots of 30 days, as I found out today) you could find you are driving an uninsured vehicle. No idea of the penalty in France for that, but would not want to risk it myself.

We have today decided to sell my Renault Clio, use my OH's nearly-knackered Nissan Micra for the covered 30 days, during that time hopefully find a second-hand French runabout and then bury the Nissan at the bottom of the field (only joking, we'll find out how to scrap it when we get there).

And remember the mantra: you never win with insurance companies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.