Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old May 7th 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Better to have started a new thread then

Good luck at the Prefecture.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

halasz is an unknown quantity at this point

I will try on another forum then. One where "Changing your UK licence for a French one" means that rather than something else.

Perhaps I should try ""Changing your UK licence for a French one (and not spain or australia or any other random country)' might work.

This is really the worst forum I have seen and, except for the aussie, Im_and_Er is the worst. Do try to read love.

Ain't hard. Or perhaps if you are 70 it is.

Bye now - never again.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Good bye and good luck
Old May 9th 2012, 1:22 am
Just Joined

OK, sorry - that was much stoppier than I intended. If I find something useful I'll post it.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Welcome back
Old May 9th 2012, 6:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halasz
Edit - I misread the above. I am only interested in exchanging (or whatever you would like to call it ) my old UK paper DL for a French one.

I find this thread is a bit full of details about Spain, shipping to Australia, renewing UK 10 year photo licenses and so on which is irrelevant to me and this thread.

As far as I can see from this, anyone with a UK license with a 10 year expiry (not me) has to get a French one. I have to because mine is falling to bits.

I will go on Thursday and see what they say; with, as recommended, 3 pictures.

Thanks,

Adam
Even if you had a UK photo license you would, almost certainly, have to show the paper one as this is the legal part of the license, the photocard was introduced to have something to carry round in countries that require them, they are only legal with the paper license, and it's the paper one that you have to send to get endorsements added, so you should have no problems whatever.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks man. I am really sorry for the previous comments - I was cross with France not you guys. I am not normally so horrible and idiotic. It seems that in 06 you can only do it by post and must have a letter from DVLC saying license is not cancelled or banned (I am not).

Not sure I trust them - I will go and see. Perhaps as I live here for 3 years they will let it go - we will see.

Sorry again,

Adam

Getting a CG was easy (ish) compared to this.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
the photocard was introduced to have something to carry round in countries that require them
Sorry Mike but you are mistaken.

The UK photocard licence is an example of the EU community model as laid down in EU directive 91/439/EEC later updated by 2006/126/EC.

Also for the photocard, to be valid both parts must be produced on demand, either part is worthless on it's own.

Adam, get yourself the Letter of Entitlement I mentioned earlier and your problem will be over, better still, despite it's decrepitude, just carry on with your paper licence
Old May 20th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

gypsyaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If we ever manage to sell our house we will be doing the opposite i.e. french licence to UK. Husband and I are 74, he drives I don't any more. Touch wood no accident for 50 odd years but obviously age is catching up. I have looked at the DVLA website but it's not clear. He will undoubtedly have to have a medical but does he have to take another driving test or what? Your comments would be appreciated.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsyaus
If we ever manage to sell our house we will be doing the opposite i.e. french licence to UK. Husband and I are 74, he drives I don't any more. Touch wood no accident for 50 odd years but obviously age is catching up. I have looked at the DVLA website but it's not clear. He will undoubtedly have to have a medical but does he have to take another driving test or what? Your comments would be appreciated.
My understanding is that regular medicals are required in France for over 65s.
Medicals are not automatic in the UK except for certain categories of vehicle e.g. buses or lorries.
When you apply for a 70+ licence then you must answer questions about your health e.g. diabetes, eyesight etc. If you have none of the medical conditions listed then your licence will be renewed but with more frequent renewals. If you do suffer from a serious medical condition that may affect your driving then you will be required to take a medical.
A friend of mine whose father was still driving when he was 90 but was as blind as a bat. His son told him that he had to stop driving because he was a danger on the road.
Be warned that the traffic in the UK has increased in volume dramatically in recent years and you may not be comfortable changing to driving on the left and in such congested traffic.
Hope you get your house sold.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

gypsyaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. We have lived in France 10 years now and he's never been asked to have a medical! We have seen the traffic problems in theUK but rarely visit cos all our family are in Oz but without going onto another subject entirely life could be awkward when one of us departs this planet and not speaking french makes for a bit of uncertainty.. Our fault entirely we haven't put our backs into learning French but there are reasons for that too. Anyway with things are in the world we will jog along and enjoy each day. Just wanted to be forearmed about the licence just in case
Old May 20th 2012, 11:09 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
My understanding is that regular medicals are required in France for over 65s.
Medicals are not automatic in the UK except for certain categories of vehicle e.g. buses or lorries.
When you apply for a 70+ licence then you must answer questions about your health e.g. diabetes, eyesight etc. If you have none of the medical conditions listed then your licence will be renewed but with more frequent renewals. If you do suffer from a serious medical condition that may affect your driving then you will be required to take a medical.
A friend of mine whose father was still driving when he was 90 but was as blind as a bat. His son told him that he had to stop driving because he was a danger on the road.
Be warned that the traffic in the UK has increased in volume dramatically in recent years and you may not be comfortable changing to driving on the left and in such congested traffic.
Hope you get your house sold.
Too right Cyrian, we are approaching the end of a two month sojourn to see family and tackle some house and grounds jobs, but M-way traffic and even traffic in and around small towns means having wits about you at all times. Back home next week and looking forward to the rest!!
Old May 20th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsyaus
Thanks for your reply. We have lived in France 10 years now and he's never been asked to have a medical! We have seen the traffic problems in theUK but rarely visit cos all our family are in Oz but without going onto another subject entirely life could be awkward when one of us departs this planet and not speaking french makes for a bit of uncertainty.. Our fault entirely we haven't put our backs into learning French but there are reasons for that too. Anyway with things are in the world we will jog along and enjoy each day. Just wanted to be forearmed about the licence just in case
Perhaps I misunderstood the french .
I was chatting with one of my friends who is a retired GP and he was surprised that the medical was not automatic in the UK. I therefore assumed that it was in France.
As I said, perhaps I missed something in the translation.
Old May 21st 2012, 2:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Also for the photocard, to be valid both parts must be produced on demand, either part is worthless on it's own.
I suspect there are huindreds of UK people driving around without a photocard license, who qualified before they came in and have never got one, and they ae driving perfectly legally.
Old May 21st 2012, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suspect there are huindreds of UK people driving around without a photocard license, who qualified before they came in and have never got one, and they ae driving perfectly legally.
I think you perhaps misunderstand me.

There are two distinct and separate types of licences in UK, the old pink and green paper ones and the photocard + paper counterpart which superseded them.

The pink and green paper ones are a complete licence in themselves and are perfectly valid up to age 70. When or if applying for a photocard licence it must be surrendered in exchange but even if it is not it is automatically cancelled by the issuing of the new photocard licence.

The photocard comes with it's own paper counterpart and the pair comprise the licence, neither part is a licence in itself and without the other each part is worthless.

I think confusion creeps in for several reasons.

The term 'photocard licence' itself tends to make people think that the card itself is the licence and that the paper counterpart is of no importance.

Others seem to believe that it is the paper counterpart which is the licence and that the photocard is a just for photo ID purposes.

Finally some believe that the photocard is a supplement or adjunct to the old paper licence which is what you are suggesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.