Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old May 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

halasz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Hi, back to transferring UK driving license to France.

I am going to do this at the prefecture only because mine is getting a bit tatty and being resident here I can not renew legally in the UK. I never got a photo card one in the UK as AFAIK it is not required and you had to pay GBP20 so I did not bother.

My old style (UK/EU) paper one is OK until 2041 but will not last until then for sure as it will fall completely apart.

I've lived here for several years and had no issues with registering, insuring or hiring on this old style license.

I just wondered if anyone had any issues swapping when you do not have the picture part which I never bothered to get.

Do you think a few utility bills and this old one will be OK or do I need passport photo as well?

Thanks,

Adam
Old May 7th 2012, 5:50 pm
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

You need two photographs passport size take one extra.

Passport
Old Licence
utility bill
Money
Application form at the prefecture but you can download if you so wish.

You have the option to take a small medical if you wish to keep your present categorise's, it is worth the small extra fee if you drive caravans etc or pull trailers.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

I only own a bike (and occasionally hire a car or van). I wouldn't like to tow anything but if the medical is cheap I'll look into it as you never know.

I have read all of these posts here and didn't see it (or perhaps remember that bit) but if you remember is the medical something to be done from my GP first or after? Or will the prefecture refer me?

Thanks,

Adam
Old May 7th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

As you are under 70 (if your licence is valid until 2041 I make it that you are 41) then there are no medicals to take at all and you will get the same categories on your French licence as you have on your UK one.

It's only after age 70 that you need to have a medical to retain towing rights above 500kg.

An old paper licence is perfectly acceptable for exchanging.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:24 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by halasz
Hi, back to transferring UK driving license to France.

I am going to do this at the prefecture only because mine is getting a bit tatty and being resident here I can not renew legally in the UK. I never got a photo card one in the UK as AFAIK it is not required and you had to pay GBP20 so I did not bother.

My old style (UK/EU) paper one is OK until 2041 but will not last until then for sure as it will fall completely apart.

I've lived here for several years and had no issues with registering, insuring or hiring on this old style license.

I just wondered if anyone had any issues swapping when you do not have the picture part which I never bothered to get.

Do you think a few utility bills and this old one will be OK or do I need passport photo as well?

Thanks,

Adam
Welcome to the Forum there is a good chance they will send you for a medical as I have known it to happen to other old style license holders.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

There they go, inventing rules again !
Old May 7th 2012, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys,

You got it - I am indeed 41. I'll take my pics and see later in the week.

I imported my bike from UAE about 4 years ago and I found then it was rather tiresome at the prefecture as I did not know what time to go and so on. At least I can speak the language now.

As long as the old UK license is OK I'm happy. If not I do not know as I have not lived in UK for 15 years so we will see.

Thanks,

Adam
Old May 7th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

If your prefecture play games with you because of the paper licence then apply to DVLA for a Letter of Entitlement' (cost's £5 over the phone - credit cards accepted), they will send it to you in France. This is acceptable at any prefecture for applying for a French licence without sight or production of a UK licence.

Just a final general point:

France is due to adopt the EU model photocard licence next year and then, just as in UK, it will be of limited duration - probably 10 years - so for anybody thinking to exchange their licence, or coming up to a photocard expiry or age 70, then better to exchange before that and still get a traditional 'for life' licence
Old May 7th 2012, 8:32 pm
Robert

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
As you are under 70 (if your licence is valid until 2041 I make it that you are 41) then there are no medicals to take at all and you will get the same categories on your French licence as you have on your UK one.

It's only after age 70 that you need to have a medical to retain towing rights above 500kg.

An old paper licence is perfectly acceptable for exchanging.
Sorry Im_and Er have to take issue with you over this matter the prefecture states very clearly that if you wish to just have an ordinary driving licence then no medical is needed, but if you wish to keep your categorise of your UK licence then a medical is a requirement. Unless the Prefecture are not telling the truth. You may like to know that your entitlement of 7.500 kilos is increased to 12000 kilos in France.

Now as the poster did not state that his licence was for a bike only I doubt he has to take any medical, unless he also wishes to keep his car entitlements.

One other point the Prefecture took my sons plastic photo card and would not issue without them keeping it so I am further puzzled by what you say.

Last edited by Kontiki; May 7th 2012 at 8:34 pm. Reason: additional comment
Old May 7th 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

I have full UK bike and car license only - this says (A, B, C1, D1, BB, FKL, NP).

I only use the car bit if I hire a car (B) and of course my bike (A).

Perhaps D1 and or C1 might be useful but not generally for me.

Tractors (F) and "Restricted Use Vehicles" (N) I am sure I can live without. Perhaps the D1 (less than 17 seats minibus) may be useful but I doubt it for me.

I understand it is the C1 (<7,5 tonnes) you need the medical for...

Anyway I'll ask and let you know.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:49 pm
Robert

Yes that seems to be the reason and also maybe the bus entitlement though that is only for a radius of 50 klm
Old May 7th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kontiki
Sorry Im_and Er have to take issue with you over this matter the prefecture states very clearly that if you wish to just have an ordinary driving licence then no medical is needed, but if you wish to keep your categorise of your UK licence then a medical is a requirement. Unless the Prefecture are not telling the truth. You may like to know that your entitlement of 7.500 kilos is increased to 12000 kilos in France.
My OH (well under 70) exchanged her licence without any requirement for a medical and has ALL the same entitlements that she had on her UK photocard. Having passed her test prior to 1987 she had C1 and C1+E entitling her to drive vehicles up to 12,000kg so that is nothing to do with the exchange. My UK photocard has the same. When exchanging a licence you automatically carry over your entitlements even if they do not exist in the other country, these are the EU rules.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ons/DG_4022547

Originally Posted by Kontiki
One other point the Prefecture took my sons plastic photo card and would not issue without them keeping it so I am further puzzled by what you say.
That is standard procedure, remember you are exchanging your licence not getting a French one in addition. Indeed it is specifically forbidden to concurrently hold two EU licences and the latest one issued in effect cancels any and all previous ones.

You occasionally hear of people obtaining a duplicate UK licence from DVLA by reporting theirs lost or stolen in order to surrender one for exchange whilst holding on to a UK licence as well. For the reasons given this is both illegal and futile.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:45 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
My OH (well under 70) exchanged her licence without any requirement for a medical and has ALL the same entitlements that she had on her UK photocard. Having passed her test prior to 1987 she had C1 and C1+E entitling her to drive vehicles up to 12,000kg so that is nothing to do with the exchange. My UK photocard has the same. When exchanging a licence you automatically carry over your entitlements even if they do not exist in the other country, these are the EU rules.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ons/DG_4022547

That is standard procedure, remember you are exchanging your licence not getting a French one in addition. Indeed it is specifically forbidden to concurrently hold two EU licences and the latest one issued in effect cancels any and all previous ones.

You occasionally hear of people obtaining a duplicate UK licence from DVLA by reporting theirs lost or stolen in order to surrender one for exchange whilst holding on to a UK licence as well. For the reasons given this is both illegal and futile.
They normally ask for a medical when the UK photo part is out of date, On the two part licenses.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is neither sense nor logic to that !
Old May 8th 2012, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Edit - I misread the above. I am only interested in exchanging (or whatever you would like to call it ) my old UK paper DL for a French one.

I find this thread is a bit full of details about Spain, shipping to Australia, renewing UK 10 year photo licenses and so on which is irrelevant to me and this thread.

As far as I can see from this, anyone with a UK license with a 10 year expiry (not me) has to get a French one. I have to because mine is falling to bits.

I will go on Thursday and see what they say; with, as recommended, 3 pictures.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited by halasz; May 8th 2012 at 1:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.