Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Chambery area for relocation

Chambery area for relocation

Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chambery area for relocation

Mu husband has been offered a job transfer to Lyon airport, however we are looking at areas to reside to the east/southeast of Lyon. The Chambery area seems ideal for our first visit as we want to be near the french alps for mountain walks etc, but also have a lovely countryside retreat that we can rent for a short term and then buy if we are happy there. We love peace and quiet, walking and a general slower pace of life and want to ensure that we choose the right area to start our property search.
Can anyone recommend some good quiet locations within an hour of Lyon airport that are worth a look? Also, are rental properties in this area easy to come by? We often holiday in the swiss alps so are used to mountain retreats and love the way of mountain life, and although we aren't fussed on being right in the mountains (as I think this would be too far from Lyon), we would cartainly like a countryside location. Also, do the french seem very friendly in this area towards brits moving in? The other stumbling block, be it a small one, we have just put an order in for a new car to be delivered in July, is it possible to take this with you and use long term whilst in France as we were intent on keeping hold of this car for quite a while as it is a dream car for us? Probably bad timing but none the less would not want to miss the opportunity if the feedback on this area is great.

Last edited by bobbi2; Mar 19th 2011 at 8:11 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:33 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chambery area for relocation

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Mu husband has been offered a job transfer to Lyon airport, however we are looking at areas to reside to the east/southeast of Lyon. The Chambery area seems ideal for our first visit as we want to be near the french alps for mountain walks etc, but also have a lovely countryside retreat that we can rent for a short term and then buy if we are happy there. We love peace and quiet, walking and a general slower pace of life and want to ensure that we choose the right area to start our property search.
Can anyone recommend some good quiet locations within an hour of Lyon airport that are worth a look? Also, are rental properties in this area easy to come by? We often holiday in the swiss alps so are used to mountain retreats and love the way of mountain life, and although we aren't fussed on being right in the mountains (as I think this would be too far from Lyon), we would cartainly like a countryside location. Also, do the french seem very friendly in this area towards brits moving in? The other stumbling block, be it a small one, we have just put an order in for a new car to be delivered in July, is it possible to take this with you and use long term whilst in France as we were intent on keeping hold of this car for quite a while as it is a dream car for us? Probably bad timing but none the less would not want to miss the opportunity if the feedback on this area is great.
Welcome to the Forum, How did your purchase in "St Lucia" Go? Cant personally help you with Lyon as im not a French City kind of person, I like the Greenery and Mountains here so I only venture into the concrete jungle when I need some "Pringles". But we have a number of members in the Lyon area that will be more than willing so "Wait Out"
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Ced73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chambery area for relocation

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Hello, good to hear that you may be considering moving to the Lyon area
My wife (Who is British) and I (French) live and work near Chambery, it takes 45mn from Lyon Airport to Chambery by car and of course there are lots of places where you could consider to live in Savoie. There is quite a small British (Or english speaking) community around Chambery compared to Annecy or Lyon, and people around here are very friendly and open. Not sure about what sort of location you want, for example just before you arrive in Chambery, the Lac D'Aiguebelette is a nice area and just around Chambery there are lots of various areas like Bourget du Lac, or the southern part of town which is also very pleasant.
Please let us have more details or email me at miolanet at yahoo dot fr and we will help you if we can. Bienvenu en Savoie !