Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Car for three months in France - options?

Car for three months in France - options?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

anna_manana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car for three months in France - options?

Hi there,

I'm moving to France (just south of Tours) from London for three months, and my house is deep in the countryside, so I need a car out there.

Unfortunately, this is a bit tricky for several reasons. Firstly, I don't have a car in the UK. Secondly, I only passed my driving test six months ago, which means that many if not all of the rental companies won't rent to me

As far as I can see there are three options:

1. Rent in France, having found a rental company that (a) will rent to me and (b) will do a discount for a long-term rental (paying the usual holiday rates it'd cost about £2500).

Does anyone have any recommendations for French long-term rental?

2. Buy in France and sell again at the end of the three months. This looks complicated.

Does anyone know what would be required to buy, register and insure a second-hand car, as a British citizen?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent second-hand dealer near Tours or Poitiers? (Or does anyone nearby know anyone who would like to sell/rent me a car? )

3. Buy in England and drive the car down to France. But I'd like to avoid this if I can, because it's a long drive through the Eurotunnel and along French autoroutes for a newish driver, and the house is very convenient by train.

Any thoughts or recommendations on the best option very much appreciated - I am very much looking forward to the three months in France, but this problem is starting to get stressful!

Oh and I leave in two weeks...

Thank you all!

best wishes,
Anna
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car for three months in France - options?

hi there and welcome to the forum

Renault and Peugot do a buy back lease that might be worth looking at
If you do a search on google you will find lots of information about this
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

<waves to Val>

Anna, I've used Renault buy back leases many times; it works out cheaper (a lot cheaper) than rental for any period over about 3 weeks (the longer the period the relatively cheaper it becomes). The lease includes ALL insurance and a roadside assistance policy.

I don't have the small print at hand about necessary length of driving experience but it is immaterial whether or not you currently own a car or have insurance in the UK.

I do think you must be over age 25 though and I suspect the 2 week requirement might be problematic.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 19th 2009 at 9:52 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:43 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a car afterwards or think you might use one a bit in the UK just get one there before you come, 3 Months Abroad is not usually an issue on UK insurance. It's not that much of an issue being on the otherside of the car and road although as a new ish driver it may confuse you a bit.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Novocastrian;7494262]<waves to Val>

val waves back
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

anna_manana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Novocastrian,

Wow - please can you tell me more about these buy-back leases? I can see lots of info on Google, but it all seems to be aimed at Americans and other non-EU residents who qualify for tax breaks.

I can't find anything about buy-back leases for Brits. Do you have the name of the company you used?

That would be amazingly helpful - we leave in four days and have yet to sort out a car We'd hoped to buy one from a French friend but it fell through today

Thanks for your help!

with best wishes,
Anna
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna_manana
Hi Novocastrian,

Wow - please can you tell me more about these buy-back leases? I can see lots of info on Google, but it all seems to be aimed at Americans and other non-EU residents who qualify for tax breaks.

I can't find anything about buy-back leases for Brits. Do you have the name of the company you used?

That would be amazingly helpful - we leave in four days and have yet to sort out a car We'd hoped to buy one from a French friend but it fell through today

Thanks for your help!

with best wishes,
Anna
Hi Anna,

Oops, you might be right about having to be a non-EU resident. I live in Canada. Sorry for misleading you.

Novo.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:24 pm
Banned

Sfephen is an unknown quantity at this point

What a shame Anna. We are not far from where you seem to be headed and we have a car that is available June/July/August or longer but we need it in May. It's hard in France as there are so many Rules you need to Adhir to before you could buy a French car.

Renting for that time on the normal market is expensive. Insurance is another hoop to jump through. If you want have more details perhaps PM me with you Age (Approx is OK) and I can ask about for you.

Stef
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna
French car insurance car be a nightmare if you dont have previous french insurance history. It is ok if you are transferring your uk insurance. We had lots of visits to insurance offices and online was difficult because we didnt have the answers that they were looking for. Quotes ranged from 1600 euros pa for a small car until we found a small - one man - office who was an agent for a mutual. We eventually paid 400 euros. Many offices just didnt want to know. If you can get a uk car with uk insurance for 3 months and pay in sterling then that might be best.
Good luck
Cyrian