Reload this Page >

Car for non-resident

Car for non-resident

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car for non-resident

Hah hah!

That new word of yours could catch on - I was just watching the Sewing Bee on BBC2 and for me it could describe the male judge!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
But registering a car in the country where it is used is mostly about taxation, contributing towards the cost of maintaining that country's roads. Each country has its own fiscal policy for taxing motorists - some collect more tolls, some put more tax on fuel, so I can't see there ever being a central European pot for that. So even if there was a centralised database, I don't think that governments would regard retaining their system of levying tax as 'a nonsense'. And a number plate, issued along with your vehicle registration document, is basically evidence that you're the legal owner, you've paid your registration taxes in that country and you're entitled to keep your car there. If you get rid of national registration certificates and registration plates, how would countries protect their patch? You'd require a massively sophisticated system with police computers and numberplate recognition cameras in every EU country all linked in to one humungous EU-wide registration database to identify cars that were spending all their time in a country other than the one where they'd paid their dues. I think that's some way off yet.
The first two Galileo staellites were launched a couple of years back. I imagine the others will be up and running soon if not already. Numberplate standardisation was some years ago. I dont think EU wide vehicle identification and tracking is very far off at all. I hope I am wrong, as it seems a very dangerous road to walk down.

Ownership - well in the UK there is no such thing as an ownership document for a car, which is a bit odd. I dont know what the legal position is elsewhere.

I agree about car tax and registration etc, but I suspect Free Movement will trump that.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Love that word - we should all try and use it more☺
I think I made it up.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I dont think EU wide vehicle identification and tracking is very far off at all. I hope I am wrong, as it seems a very dangerous road to walk down.
You may be right but will any of us see it in our lifetime? I don't doubt that the technology is there, but I don't see the implementation happening, the EU has more important things on its plate and (I hope) isn't going to insist on every country spending millions on that, with the economy in its current state.

Ownership - well in the UK there is no such thing as an ownership document for a car, which is a bit odd. I dont know what the legal position is elsewhere.
Let's say, 'the person who is legally responsible for paying the taxes due on the vehicle.'

I agree about car tax and registration etc, but I suspect Free Movement will trump that.
Maybe, just like it trumped healthcare entitlement Free movement is a lovely idea but how can you move seamlessly from one set of fiscality to another. It would only work if every EU country had the same tax laws and the same administrative systems, and that would be appalling, because then the differences between countries and their different cultures would be eroded even faster.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Damvillers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes you can I have just done this, took 6 months but thankfully the french insurance company were very understanding about waiting for french plates and carte grise.