Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Recommendations

Car Insurance Recommendations

Old May 23rd 2024, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance Recommendations

Hello,
Could I please get a recommendation for a car insurance? I am getting a complete run-around with our house insurer (Groupama). I thought this would be relatively easy but it is turning out to be way more complex than I could ever have imagined. I have a letter from my US insurer confirming no accidents or claims, but they are now requesting certified copies of the insurance page and the letter, which I think is a step too far, for something so obvious. The insurance page, for instance, has names, addresses and a bunch of numbers that are meaningless to a French insurer....
Old May 23rd 2024, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Recommendations

I have used Generali since I moved here-and when I lived in Italy.Not the cheapest but never had a problem claiming .I use a local agent who is very helpful
Old May 23rd 2024, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I can also recommend Generali from personal experience but feel certain there are many others out there providing a good service. I would however warn against using your bank's insurance. Most banks act as an intermediary to an affiliated assurance company and take a commission for doing so. This extra step complicates communication and can delay the settlement of a claim.
Old May 24th 2024, 8:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Hello,
Could I please get a recommendation for a car insurance? I am getting a complete run-around with our house insurer (Groupama). I thought this would be relatively easy but it is turning out to be way more complex than I could ever have imagined. I have a letter from my US insurer confirming no accidents or claims, but they are now requesting certified copies of the insurance page and the letter, which I think is a step too far, for something so obvious. The insurance page, for instance, has names, addresses and a bunch of numbers that are meaningless to a French insurer....
Some one having imported their car from the UK will say whether French Insurance companies require the same certified copies as for American cars. I've always had a French car, so can't help on that score.
As for recommendations for an insurance company, ask your neighbours! I've always been with GAN, purely because the local branch was run by our new neighbour's friend. I'm still with them, even though I've since moved - IMO the human touch is important when it comes to claims....
Old May 27th 2024, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

ETgohome is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to use MMA, then I switched to Allianz. There are loads you can try, not sure any are particularly better or worse than others, it depends on the manager and staff at your branch.
But I think what you are being asked for is pretty standard. I seem to remember having to get in touch with previous insurers in the UK and ask them to email stuff. The system in France is that if you change insurers you get a relevé d'informations from you previous insurer which is a comprehensive printout listing your driving history year by year. For each year it states what policy you held, if you did, and it either says No incidents or it gives details of incidents that occurred. So basically they are looking to replicate that, and unfortunately handing them one letter doesn't really tick their boxes.
As I recall there were a few holes in what I managed to cobble together but in the endI I had a document for more or less every year and they accepted it.
Old May 27th 2024, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a problem in obtaining motor insurance in France.
I tried online and that didn't work.
I tried all the large offices and that didn't work - they just didn't want to know.
Eventually, I found a small agency of one of the mutual companies and he said if I could get something - even a piece of paper with an official stamp from my UK insurers stating the level of bonus I was entitled to then he would accept that.
I found a current document from my UK insurer which stated that I had "maximum discount" which he accepted.