Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest a really reliable wireless internet box?

Can anyone suggest a really reliable wireless internet box?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:43 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone suggest a really reliable wireless internet box?

Originally Posted by Flutterfly
Thanks for the suggestion Val, yes I knew I could do that but somehow, I was not keen on the idea of having a bad day, then having a public grumble, and our gite guests being able to ID me!! Probably very unlikely, but we like to keep our guests under the illusion that everything is always rosy in the garden!

LOL! If everything WAS rosy in the garden, half of our guests wouldn't bother coming! It's part of the attraction for them I think, to see just what it's really like living here and running a business to boot!

I do quite like the idea of a gite owners forum, do you have a link for the one you mentioned Le Chant? It can be really helpful to see how others do things.
PM on its way FF!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Renauld
I think the Linksys boxes are the best! However you don't get the free telephone calls with them because they don't have the phone connectors on them and it's hard to get the settings from Alice/Orange etc.......!

You could stick with your standard Alice box and hard wire a Linksys wifi box into that and use the wifi from the Linksys box for you guests...... Be careful about the user passwords for the Alice box as the default user name and password could leave you vulnerable to hacking from your guests!

You can get full Root access to your Alice box by using the following:

Go to Internet Explorer/Firefox etc.... and type in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter.

Now login using the user name: root
And then use the password: h4y2svl0

You will be able to do much more than you usually can, including changing the normal user login passwords etc...

Another little hack with Alice box is to make the second ethernet port available by using this hidden link: http://192.168.1.1/mylinetvservices.html

Have fun!
Thanks Le Chant - looking forward to meeting you!

Renauld do you have any similar suggestions for my orange livebox??
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

For 250 meters and good old fashioned stone walls i would suggest some High Gain antennas like this one and a Range extender like this in the Gites. Hard wire a New router to the Livebox and add an Extenal antenna and an external at the gite.

However the least work method is having a phone line in the gite and a Adsl router/modem there, don't use a livebox buy your own they are not up to the potential work load of three or more customers trying to use them wireless'ly. You could just have the new phone line install in you house and run a Telephone extension over to the Gite as long as the Adsl filter is the Primary Socket off it. The wireless range on the livebox sucks the encryption sucks the only good thing is the Voip port and its the only box that Orange support for Unlimited Voip service. The TV sucks as well it is prone to suffering from some horrible sound delay but thats related to the Mpeg decoder that Orange use.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Renauld will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Le Chant
That link doesn't work for me and my Alice Box Renaud. takes me to a blank screen!
Sorry Chant should have said: you must login using the root username and password before using the link.

Last edited by Renauld; Jul 8th 2008 at 8:00 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

If you have one of the older Linksys WRT54G Routers you can install new software and up the WIFI Transmitter Power among other things.

The Routers basically run a Linux system and some rather nifty thridparty Linux Firmwares have been released that give much more control..... including facilities for wifi hotspots etc....

See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

I've got one of these boxes but haven't flashed it yet because I don't need to and it works..... if it aint broke don't fix it!

Apparently the newer routers are down graded to stop them having as many 'hidden' features that rival the high end professional range of products made by Cisco the parent company of Linksys
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:50 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Renauld
Sorry Chant hould have said: you must login using the root username and password before using the link.
Yep! Did that too. Still a blank screen.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flutterfly
Renauld do you have any similar suggestions for my orange livebox??
Put it under your car and drive over it...... sorry that was someone elses suggestion for liveboxes. User name: root - Password 1234

They appear to be locked down harder.... there are ways of doing it, take a look at the following:
http://www.jarra.nl/?p=100
http://www.scribd.com/doc/469113/Com...t-pour-livebox (French)
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Yep! Did that too. Still a blank screen.
This is a copy paste of what I get from that link........ what is the model number and make of your AliceBox?

[Copy/Paste - from http://192.168.1.1/mylinetvservices.html ]

TV par ADSL

Service TV par ADSL

Etat du service : Désactivé Activation du service TV par ADSL

Le port Ethernet (Eth2) est actuellement configuré
pour Internet.
Pour utiliser le service TV par ADSL (port Eth2),
cliquer sur Activer.
Vous allez perdre l'accès à la passerelle sur le port Ethernet (Eth2).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:18 am

[QUOTE=Renauld;6547127]This is a copy paste of what I get from that link........ what is the model number and make of your AliceBox?

It appears to be a Telecom Italia AH4021. That's all I can make out on the router itself. Make any sense?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Renauld;6547090]Put it under your car and drive over it...... sorry that was someone elses suggestion for liveboxes.

Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:16 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

My biggest gripe with the Livebox is the disabled USB port you cant plug in a External harddrive and use it on the network. Bloody cheapskates. But my Time Capsule works just perfectly.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Le Chant - There are two types of Alice box that I know of: Sagem & Hitachi - They should have a label on them somewhere with serial numbers etc....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:52 pm

Yep - Hitachi AH4021 it is!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
For 250 meters and good old fashioned stone walls i would suggest some High Gain antennas like this one and a Range extender like this in the Gites. Hard wire a New router to the Livebox and add an Extenal antenna and an external at the gite.

However the least work method is having a phone line in the gite and a Adsl router/modem there, don't use a livebox buy your own they are not up to the potential work load of three or more customers trying to use them wireless'ly. You could just have the new phone line install in you house and run a Telephone extension over to the Gite as long as the Adsl filter is the Primary Socket off it. The wireless range on the livebox sucks the encryption sucks the only good thing is the Voip port and its the only box that Orange support for Unlimited Voip service. The TV sucks as well it is prone to suffering from some horrible sound delay but thats related to the Mpeg decoder that Orange use.
Hi Ka Ora, thanks for going to this trouble. There is already a phone line in the pressoir beside the gites, it is a different number to the one at the farmhouse. When you say buy my own router, would it automatically work if plugged into the phone line in the pressoir? Which one would you suggest buying and can I get it in France? Would I not need a contract or anything?

Sorry to sound so stupid but this whole tech thing is just double dutch to me!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

steve189 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can anyone suggest a really reliable wireless internet box?

Having been driven up the wall with my Wanadoo/Orange LiveBox I since opted for the NEUF adsl system and have been very pleased so far.

I constantly had to re-boot my LiveBox and had loads of problems with WiFi. I'm sure the thing will blow up tomorrow now I've said this but the NEUF box works well and we have had no problems with it.

While I'm in France the thing is on 24/7 as our phone is through it too for free international calls and I can't remember the last time I had to re-boot it.

It's a wee bit smaller than the LiveBox too and sure is prettier LOL - nice coloured lights on it.....

NEUF box:
LiveBox:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.