Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

CAF - I've got a baby coming, gimme money!

CAF - I've got a baby coming, gimme money!

Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default CAF - I've got a baby coming, gimme money!

The title's tongue in cheek, but on a serious note, has anyone had experience dealing with CAF? My partner filled in the form, but as I wasn't living in France in 2007 (for some reason they want salary details from both of us for this year) at the time, she did not complete my income. She explained the situation but they insist my income is completed. For all they know we won't even a couple back in 2007, although I suppose that is irrelevant.

Problem is the tax year is different to France, and how do they translate a salary from pounds into euros for an annual salary. I was also self-employed back in the UK so my salary varied quite a lot from year to year. All seems a bit daft, I guess I'll just have to give them a figure and see what happens. I doubt our combined salary will push us beyond the limit so that we do not receive anything, but I'm not entirely sure what the limit is supposed to be.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:29 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAF - I've got a baby coming, gimme money!

Originally Posted by G-J-B
The title's tongue in cheek, but on a serious note, has anyone had experience dealing with CAF? My partner filled in the form, but as I wasn't living in France in 2007 (for some reason they want salary details from both of us for this year) at the time, she did not complete my income. She explained the situation but they insist my income is completed. For all they know we won't even a couple back in 2007, although I suppose that is irrelevant.

Problem is the tax year is different to France, and how do they translate a salary from pounds into euros for an annual salary. I was also self-employed back in the UK so my salary varied quite a lot from year to year. All seems a bit daft, I guess I'll just have to give them a figure and see what happens. I doubt our combined salary will push us beyond the limit so that we do not receive anything, but I'm not entirely sure what the limit is supposed to be.
Just give them the figure in English/Sterling make sure they are aware that it's English. It worked for us. They should calculate it on you income here.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:19 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

They sent a nice man out to see us. He came, we chatted. he filled in forms for us and around a month later we were notified by e-mail and letter that a significant amount of cash had gone into our bank account. We'd not claimed since we'd been in France. At that point it was two years. Times that by three kids and you may get an idea of the sum I'm talking about. We don't get anything now though, as they've either left home, dragging more of a wage or over age!

All very painless, and all thanks to our accountant who sorted it for us!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys. Not sure I'll have a nice chap come and visit me to talk about it! I'll give them my salary for that year, but I can't give them my current salary, because it won't be calculated until May, and I started working in June, so it's really only a reflection of half a year's earnings. Oh well, I'm sure it will all pan out. I'll make sure they know my earnings are in pound sterling not in euros.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

sssplendid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

To have informations tape: www.caf.fr

Then click on "toutes les prestations"
then on "allocation de base"
You'll have an idea of the amount the CAF may give you according to your "revenu imposable" (couple avec 2 revenus)

Take your both incomes of 2007 :then take off 20% of the total amount
and then take off again 10% of the last result. that will give you the "revenu imposable"

Example in eur: husband 18000eur/y wife 16000eur/y
34000-(20% of 34000) = X
X-(10% of X) = Y = revenu imposable

That will just give you an idea since you're supposed to tell them as well your current salary.... and that might change it all!

Hope it helps

sssplendid
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:11 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I can't really help on this one. We are in a very odd position with our child benefits. Since my employer has me on some special expat set up here in France I do not actually pay French social security, but I do continue to pay UK national insurance. This means we are not entitled to anything from the CAF but get UK child benefit instead. One of the very rare situations where UK child benefit is payable to overseas residents. But then since the child benefit is payable to me and we do not receive anything from CAF, the Czech government has a weird policy where they will pay my wife their version of child allowances (since my wife is Czech), even though she is not resident there. I couldn't quite believe it but my wife completed the Czech forms and they pay us a few hundred euros per month until our daughter is 3. I'm not going to turn it down and apparently its perfectly OK, my wife has Czech friends in the UK and Netherlands who also get these payments.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Herman
I can't really help on this one. We are in a very odd position with our child benefits. Since my employer has me on some special expat set up here in France I do not actually pay French social security, but I do continue to pay UK national insurance. This means we are not entitled to anything from the CAF but get UK child benefit instead. One of the very rare situations where UK child benefit is payable to overseas residents. But then since the child benefit is payable to me and we do not receive anything from CAF, the Czech government has a weird policy where they will pay my wife their version of child allowances (since my wife is Czech), even though she is not resident there. I couldn't quite believe it but my wife completed the Czech forms and they pay us a few hundred euros per month until our daughter is 3. I'm not going to turn it down and apparently its perfectly OK, my wife has Czech friends in the UK and Netherlands who also get these payments.
H I have passed that info over to my brother who has a Czech Oh they have just had a baby. Quick Question does the child need a Czech Birth Certificate as well as the English one or will the English one suffice for the application with the mothers info (Ie Passport Birth Cert Etc)
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to be a bit late replying to this, but I've been away.
I thought that Allocations Familiales were only given as from the second child, unless you're (=one is) a single parent, and also that they didn't depend on your income. When we received them for daughter No. 2, we didn't have any salary declarations to make. In fact it was the CPAM that automatically sent our dossier to the CAF when I was pregnant, a paper was signed, an RIB given, and the Allocations started to arrive regularly. Or maybe you're applying for another type of Allocation from the CAF?
Good luck, whatever!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies. You can apply with CAF with the first child.

Problem is they want my salary from Jan 2007 until Dec 2007. We've tried to explain the tax year in the UK doesn't work like that, so it's going to be a pain in the arse recalculating everything effectively over two tax years. They also want it in euros, but have not told us what rate I can use.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:53 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
H I have passed that info over to my brother who has a Czech Oh they have just had a baby. Quick Question does the child need a Czech Birth Certificate as well as the English one or will the English one suffice for the application with the mothers info (Ie Passport Birth Cert Etc)
We have an English birth certificate but I think my wife did register the birth with the Czech embassy, although I don't know if we got a Czech birth certificate (our daughter has a UK passport). I could not help my wife much with all the applications and process as it was all in Czech, so she sorted it all out with the help of her mum who discussed what was needed with the local authorities. It was a bit tricky and took quite a few months to get everything needed, but she got there in the end. If your brother wants to PM me via this forum I can put him in touch with my wife who can help. Might even be easier if your sister in law and my wife discuss in Czech as some of the documentation and even the name of the allowance does not translate well.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Herman
We have an English birth certificate but I think my wife did register the birth with the Czech embassy, although I don't know if we got a Czech birth certificate (our daughter has a UK passport). I could not help my wife much with all the applications and process as it was all in Czech, so she sorted it all out with the help of her mum who discussed what was needed with the local authorities. It was a bit tricky and took quite a few months to get everything needed, but she got there in the end. If your brother wants to PM me via this forum I can put him in touch with my wife who can help. Might even be easier if your sister in law and my wife discuss in Czech as some of the documentation and even the name of the allowance does not translate well.
I will get him/ or her to join and PM you. Would probably make life easier. As the closest to speaking Czech I get is after half a case of Guinness. Then again maybe it makes me fluent in Irish.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I will get him/ or her to join and PM you. Would probably make life easier. As the closest to speaking Czech I get is after half a case of Guinness. Then again maybe it makes me fluent in Irish.
Spoke to my wife last night. She said "Tell them its a very difficult process but happy to explain what we did. It will be easier in Czech".
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:00 pm
Just moved!

rutheglen is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughters and I are planning a move in August to Alsace, to join my fiance, who is French. At the moment I work part time in a school, and hope to find part time work when I get to France - am joining all the job hunting type things over the next few months/weeks. OH runs his own company, but, as you can imagine, with the recession, it's all a bit unpredictable.
Does anyone have any idea what we could claim for through CAF, and how we go about it - is it an 'easy' process (I am expecting mountains of paperwork!! lol!).
We've just about got the schooling covered, but I know there is LOADS more to sort out!
Also, any other advice on the move would be gratefully received - trying to get organised, but I know that 'the move' will be here before I'm ready!!!
We are all very excited about it, but I know there will be hiccups along the way - just trying to get as prepared as possible!
Thank you
Ruth Liz n Tori
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rutheglen
Does anyone have any idea what we could claim for through CAF, and how we go about it - is it an 'easy' process (I am expecting mountains of paperwork!! lol!).

Thank you
Ruth Liz n Tori
When you've arrived, just go along to your local CAF offices (CAF on google france for the nearest address) armed with your daughters' birth certificates and all your passports, already translated into French by a Traducteur Jurée for the other formalities, and a utilities bill to show your domicile, and apply for Allocations Familiales (family allowances). They'll also probably ask for a declaration of your earnings for 2008. At this point, if you have no legal ties with your fiancé, you'll be considered as a single parent and may be entitled to more, but check on that (but then you'd have to justify your domicile with a utilities bill in your name). Hope this helps!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
When you've arrived, just go along to your local CAF offices (CAF on google france for the nearest address) armed with your daughters' birth certificates and all your passports, already translated into French by a Traducteur Jurée for the other formalities, and a utilities bill to show your domicile, and apply for Allocations Familiales (family allowances). They'll also probably ask for a declaration of your earnings for 2008. At this point, if you have no legal ties with your fiancé, you'll be considered as a single parent and may be entitled to more, but check on that (but then you'd have to justify your domicile with a utilities bill in your name). Hope this helps!
Not arguing or nowt, But we did not need anything translated English Versions sufficed. Also now when coming from the UK the CAF request a certificate from the UK Child Benefit Agency confirming it is not being paid in the UK any longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.