Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying and using a boat

Buying and using a boat

Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Sunny_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying and using a boat

I live near Cogolin in the south of France and would enjoy having the use of a boat, but I have been put off so far by not knowing how to go about it and what would be involved (licence?, mooring, maintenance etc.) Looking at various websites has only left me more confused!

Is there someone who can help with some advice on the basics?

(As background, I am thinking about a motor boat that will seat up to 8 people for day use, although I might be tempted to get one with some overnight accommodation. I am not looking to become an enthusiast for the details of boating – I would just want to do enough to enjoy being on the water.)
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying and using a boat

Originally Posted by Sunny_Days
I live near Cogolin in the south of France and would enjoy having the use of a boat, but I have been put off so far by not knowing how to go about it and what would be involved (licence?, mooring, maintenance etc.) Looking at various websites has only left me more confused!

Is there someone who can help with some advice on the basics?

(As background, I am thinking about a motor boat that will seat up to 8 people for day use, although I might be tempted to get one with some overnight accommodation. I am not looking to become an enthusiast for the details of boating – I would just want to do enough to enjoy being on the water.)
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I know nothing about boats, but do know that it costs the earth to acquire an "anneau" to moor in a marina/port on the Med coast. Last century for example, a French friend paid five figures in francs for an anneau in Antibes (and it might have been an annual sum, I was too staggered to take it in...
P.S. Why not go and ask on the spot?

Last edited by dmu; Jan 11th 2014 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you......in fact, I am on my way now to the marina to see if anyone is there to ask......I hope there might be some boat users to help with the other points.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to check out THIS link which gives some idea of the mooring charges around the coast.
As a heads-up I note that the nominal price at Cogolon marina is 15k €, plus 700€ a year charges.
I know nowt about boats, and after a rapid look at those mooring charges, it's going to remain that way.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:52 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you do need a license, as if you look at hire boats, they generally say the license is provided. What sort of license I don't know! You do need quite a hefty driving test to drive a peniche (commercial barge).
Here you go, it seems to depend on the size of motor and boat, and whether it's coastal or just inland http://www.fluvialnet.com/reglementa...ermis-fluviaux

Last edited by Harvester523; Jan 13th 2014 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
I think you do need a license, as if you look at hire boats, they generally say the license is provided. What sort of license I don't know! You do need quite a hefty driving test to drive a peniche (commercial barge).
Here you go, it seems to depend on the size of motor and boat, and whether it's coastal or just inland http://www.fluvialnet.com/reglementa...ermis-fluviaux
Hi, sorry but this link only gives regulations for rivers or canals ("eaux intérieures"), not around the coast. But the OP must meanwhile have got info from the local Marina....
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:19 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, sorry but this link only gives regulations for rivers or canals ("eaux intérieures"), not around the coast. But the OP must meanwhile have got info from the local Marina....
Well, this does refer to coastal, but yes, it's mostly about inland waterways
un permis plaisance côtière(pour une navigation en mer, limitée à 6 milles d’un abri), avec une extension hauturière possible (navigation sans limitation de distance ni de puissance) ;
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the help so far....

It looks like for up to 8 passengers to have some sort of view from the boat, I will need what is called a bow-rider. These can have a loo, but not a cabin, so it will be a day boat only.

Given the cost of mooring here, I will limit the size to a maximum of 8m x 2.7m.

I can't find a site with summary charts comparing boat models and the individual manufacturer sites do not give prices, so it looks like a long haul to choose a boat.....

I wonder if I should get a boat licence in the UK and then use it here......I wonder even if the boat should be obtained and registered there.....

Any comments or advice or any of this would be welcome.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

strake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Maybe I can help you.

We moved to France in 2011 and having had Mobo's for many years, I wanted to do the same here. We live on the Atlantic coast near Royan. I have a Merry Fisher 725 which, in Spring, Summer and Autumn we use to head across the Gironde Estuary (among other places) to visit Verdun in Medoc and the lovely Atlantic coast. To legally drive such a boat, you need to have a Permis Bateau. You can either do that course here or, there is an alternative. If you have 'equivalency' that is a similar UK qualification, that will do the job. If not and that would be more comfortable for you, you can do that course either in the UK or at a few Brit run establishments in France.
You probably know all this by now so I'll stop there but if you want further information on buying, doing the courses etc, I'm happy to provide further info.

Last edited by strake; Jan 20th 2014 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

I have now found somewhere in England that will do the right boat course for the ICC that should give me what I need for France.

Given the waiting list at the marina for moorings, I have limited the beam width on the boat to 2.5m, which should allow me to get a place straight away.

After a lot of internet research I am likely to get a Glastron 205, through a boatyard in the UK. If anyone has experience of a boat like this and advice on a choice of engine for it, I would be interested. Otherwise, I will do some more research and plump for one to get the order in and hopefully have the boat down here in time for Spring.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Days
I have now found somewhere in England that will do the right boat course for the ICC that should give me what I need for France.

Given the waiting list at the marina for moorings, I have limited the beam width on the boat to 2.5m, which should allow me to get a place straight away.

After a lot of internet research I am likely to get a Glastron 205, through a boatyard in the UK. If anyone has experience of a boat like this and advice on a choice of engine for it, I would be interested. Otherwise, I will do some more research and plump for one to get the order in and hopefully have the boat down here in time for Spring.

The RYA run an International Power Boat course at a load of centres in the UK. I, like you, was looking at getting a small cruiser so did some research. Planning a RYA course in the Southampton area in the spring.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

strake is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea on the ICC but you might acctually need the Powerboat 2 as equivalency for a PB unless you have enough experience to do a 'Direct Assessment'. There is also a place in Nice run by a Brit which might be more convenient but it's up to you.
Not really sure about importing a boat from the UK if that is what you are thinking of doing..but of course, again it is a matter of choice. If you haven't already, I'd strongly advise you to read this:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...ers/F833.xhtml

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Last edited by strake; Jan 20th 2014 at 6:33 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for those thoughts....

In fact, the boat course I will be taking is the Powerboat 2.

I had a good look at the link too. I should explain that when I said in the OP that I lived in Cogolin, it was a shorthand for saying that I spend nearly half of each year at my house here. I intend to remain a UK resident, in which case it seems that fortunately the need to "franciser" will not apply.

Le bateau de plaisance doit être francisé si :

la longueur de sa coque est supérieure à 7 mètres ou que son moteur est d'une puissance administrative supérieure à 22 CV,

et il appartient, au moins pour moitié, à un ou plusieurs citoyens membres d'un pays de l'Espace économique européen domiciliés en France.

That is provided I have understood everything correctly!