Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property - market trends?

Buying property - market trends?

Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property - market trends?

I will try not to be unkind with my comments.

If it is the original tiles (tomettes) and they are in good condition you have to keen them. You can't dig them up or cover them. They are feature and it is not the done thing in France. As said, just put rugs down.

If they are not original then put your under floor heating down with a nice parquet.

In terms of heating, oil and electricity is a nonsense. Really, I don't know why people support it. But as said, insulation, insulation, insulation, insulation......and more insulation.

Why not think about pompe à chaleur (PAC) ? A bit more expensive but it will pay itself back. Furthermore, when your dream is shattered and you want to sell up.....you are more likely to sell with a PAC.

Alternatively, you could just put fluffy carpets down and paint all your walls magnolia.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:01 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ras0888
I should add that I WANT these things rather than we have bought a completely run down property. We can move in and live in it as it is, which we will do initially until we work out what's best done and in what order. I've read the posts about not getting your money back and we are aware of that risk.....
Personally I don't think its that horrific it's a lifestyle that suits some and quite clearly doesn't suit others, problem is the ones having fun don't shout out about it whereas the one that are not enjoying it here complain bitterly. We have had quite a few over the years but there have still been more members join that are enjoying it here
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Y'know.

I thought I was heading for France from SW England but I seem to have taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in New Zealand

Not that anyone cares but central heating is rare here. We have one wood burner for the whole house. We regulate the temperature by opening and shutting doors.
I use oil filled radiators to take the edge off the bedrooms. We have thought of a ducted system to circulate the warm air when the wood burner is going.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:56 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine

If it is the original tiles (tomettes) and they are in good condition you have to keen them. You can't dig them up or cover them. They are feature and it is not the done thing in France. As said, just put rugs down.

If they are not original then put your under floor heating down with a nice parquet.

In terms of heating, oil and electricity is a nonsense. Really, I don't know why people support it. But as said, insulation, insulation, insulation, insulation......and more insulation.

Why not think about pompe à chaleur (PAC) ? A bit more expensive but it will pay itself back. Furthermore, when your dream is shattered and you want to sell up.....you are more likely to sell with a PAC.

Alternatively, you could just put fluffy carpets down and paint all your walls magnolia.
Oh, yeah??
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Oh, yeah??

Well I could be unkind and say what your are doing/planning (IMHO) is a great idea or I could be kind and tell you that you are heading for a complete disaster.

Take your pick.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:27 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Well I could be unkind and say what your are doing/planning (IMHO) is a great idea or I could be kind and tell you that you are heading for a complete disaster.

Take your pick.

I thought carefully about your advice for 0.5 seconds and have decided to give it the weight it merits in determining my final decision. Does space have weight?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWL
Does space have weight?

Not if it is empty.......

I think most expats don't take advice from forums. I see UK reg removal vans heading SW on the A10 everyday.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:41 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Not if it is empty.......

I think most expats don't take advice from forums. I see UK reg removal vans heading SW on the A10 everyday.
Maybe most expats just don't take advice from some people on forums. Can't imagine why, but there must be a reason...
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWL
Maybe most expats just don't take advice from some people on forums. Can't imagine why, but there must be a reason...
Possibly because they don't give them the answers they want to hear.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:56 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Possibly because they don't give them the answers they want to hear.
Well, the answer I think at least some aspiring expats would like to hear is that it is or may be possible with due caution and planning.

This always somehow seems more appealing to me than the default Victor Meldrew approach.

Or perhaps we should just close the site down. I mean, what's the point...?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWL
Well, the answer I think at least some aspiring expats would like to hear is that it is or may be possible with due caution and planning.

This always somehow seems more appealing to me than the default Victor Meldrew approach.

Or perhaps we should just close the site down. I mean, what's the point...?
'caution & planning'

What have you learnt so far ?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:00 am
JWL
Forum Regular

'caution & planning'

What have you learnt so far ?
That you are very arrogant.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point

'When' the dream is shattered? Not if? I bet that shattered dreams and expats that have houses they can't sell, please you no end. The tone of condescension in your posts are an insult. They so wreak of 'I've moved to France, you haven't, therefore I know best'. I wouldn't even consider a move without taking into account that it could go wrong and the financial implications this would have. We have small children to think of too and the affect on them, but how would you know this? Better to think of everyone as idiots and remain a negative and prejudiced poster. Fluffy carpets my arse!!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ras0888
Hi, we are moving to Lot et Garonne inbetween Xmas and new year. The house needs lots of work. I hate the thought of tiled cold floors in winter, any thoughts on underfloor heating? There isnt a gas supply, so oil and electric (although that's what we have where I live now so I'm used to having an Emersion tank etc. anyone on here have? Cost to install?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
We have forage vertical geothermie (google for a thorough explanation). It came with the house but we paid about 5,000€ extra to have a double forage vertical.
It is relatively cheap to run but the initial outlay is expensive, around 23,000€
The installation floor depth as I think CS mentioned needs to be considered, ours was about 20cm above a concrete base.
A neighbour has underfloor electric; he reckons it is reasonable in cost running with his solid fuel insert.
Have a look at this: (use google translate if you need)

Quel investissement pour une pompe à chaleur géothermique? | Quelle Energie : Le magazine
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWL
That you are very arrogant.
Or very helpful. There is a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.