Buying a Car

Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

macgyver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Car

Could someone point me in the direction of a few car buying websites?

Also some advice as to whether its best to buy a LHD car here and then register once over there, or to try and buy a LHD over there already registered (I know the market there is quite expensive).

Or any other options of course. TIA .
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a Car

we just bought a new car.

We looked on leboncoin.

But in the end bought through a dealership. The cars are expensive but about the same as the LHD market in the UK.

Spain or Germany would be cheaper.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:17 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a new left hand drive tax free car in the UK, which you can buy cheaper at certain dealerships in the UK. For most models if you type in the make on google, then add tax free you will find a dealer that exports cars. We waited for ours to arrive in the UK. It was a LHD on UK plates initially, then as long as you export it within 3 months and register it at your prefecteur and pay the tax at the hotel d'impot then all is good. You pay less tax. We did by one here too, and there wasn't much difference in price, depending on what you buy though.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macgyver
Could someone point me in the direction of a few car buying websites?

Also some advice as to whether its best to buy a LHD car here and then register once over there, or to try and buy a LHD over there already registered (I know the market there is quite expensive).

Or any other options of course. TIA .
I've bought a couple of new cars, a C3 and then a 3008, through a mandataire (Aramis in my case). Discount was around 20%, I resold the C3 through Leboncoin a couple of years later for a good price and I'm selling the 3008 in a couple of months and expect a good price for that too. I don't mind that a car depreciates provided I can buy at a good price. Obviously you need to pick something which the French will buy 2nd hand.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:05 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Not necessarily. We bought an Audi and we would of made heaps if we had sold it after 6 months as used reputable audis are hard to come by at dealerships. Wuld of made a few thousand euros on it for sure.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:05 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Reputable and Audi are not two words I would usually expect to find in the same sentence

Anyhow, going back to the OP's question the market for used cars seems a bit soft at the moment so maybe Leboncoin or LaCentrale would be a safer bet to find good value.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:10 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I suppose we all have different experiences, and have many friends with Audi's and nothing negative of note, however there isn't a single dealership/make or model on the road that comes without it's issues or poor customer service.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:15 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Too true, first new Peugeot I bought (1999) broke down nearly every day and I sold it after a month; I didn't touch the marque again until 2012 and this time around not a single squeak or creak in 30,000 km !
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:44 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

In fact we bought a Nissan last year from a dealership locally in France. Horrendous customer service once they had our business. Will not go back to them again for a service, parts etc......trully awful.