Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying a 2nd hand car as non-residents?

Buying a 2nd hand car as non-residents?

Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a 2nd hand car as non-residents?

I've just realized that I should check with the experts whether there might be some unanticipated problems with this?

Many will know that we own a (soonish-to-be) retirement property in Normandy. For several years we've been able to spend July/August there and have used the TT car scheme to "lease" a car each year.

This year we'll be spending a total of 5 months in France (Feb-April, then July & August) and the TT scheme would be pricey. Since we'll retire as early (perhaps) 2014 my intention is to buy a moderately priced voiture d'occasion early next month from one of a few dealers I've researched a good deal.

So the question: is there any hindrance to registering the vehicle we buy in France in my name? Again, as you may know, we're UK and Canadian citizens with the latter being our main country of residence for the time being.

Is this as straightforward as I've been assuming?

Thanks all.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a 2nd hand car as non-residents?

Arguably you shouldn't, technically, register a car in France if you're not resident here, but you if you can prove you have a house here you can do it and nobody will check whether you are resident or not.

Just make sure you don't get a speeding contravention immediately before you leave the country, or you will return to a very large fine in your letterbox!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've just realized that I should check with the experts whether there might be some unanticipated problems with this?

Many will know that we own a (soonish-to-be) retirement property in Normandy. For several years we've been able to spend July/August there and have used the TT car scheme to "lease" a car each year.

This year we'll be spending a total of 5 months in France (Feb-April, then July & August) and the TT scheme would be pricey. Since we'll retire as early (perhaps) 2014 my intention is to buy a moderately priced voiture d'occasion early next month from one of a few dealers I've researched a good deal.

So the question: is there any hindrance to registering the vehicle we buy in France in my name? Again, as you may know, we're UK and Canadian citizens with the latter being our main country of residence for the time being.

Is this as straightforward as I've been assuming?

Thanks all.
We didn't have a problem.
We bought a car and registered with our french address - nobody bothered how long we stayed in France or what nationality we were (UK).
You have a french address and a french bank account - just the same as everyone else.
Note. You can register the car in joint names which can make selling it easier if one of you incapacitated.
Insurance could be more of a problem.
Make sure you bring a document that states your no claims discount otherwise you will be charged LOTS.
We ended up in a small office of a Mutuelle and were eventually able to produce a letter which stated "maximum no-claims discount" which the guy was very happy to accept and the insurance was reduced from €1800 to €400.

Last edited by cyrian; Jan 12th 2013 at 8:20 am. Reason: addition
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Arguably you shouldn't, technically, register a car in France if you're not resident here, but you if you can prove you have a house here you can do it and nobody will check whether you are resident or not.

Just make sure you don't get a speeding contravention immediately before you leave the country, or you will return to a very large fine in your letterbox!
Cheers. I'll try to avoid speeding then.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:04 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by cyrian
We didn't have a problem.
We bought a car and registered with our french address - nobody bothered how long we stayed in France or what nationality we were (UK).
You have a french address and a french bank account - just the same as everyone else.
Note. You can register the car in joint names which can make selling it easier if one of you incapacitated.
Insurance could be more of a problem.
Make sure you bring a document that states your no claims discount otherwise you will be charged LOTS.
We ended up in a small office of a Mutuelle and were eventually able to produce a letter which stated "maximum no-claims discount" which the guy was very happy to accept and the insurance was reduced from €1800 to €400.
Thanks for the tips on joint registration and no claims documentation. We'll likely use AXA because they carry our house insurance.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

AXA will probably ask you for insurance history going back 10 years, so if you can get confirmation from former insurers to cover that period (if you have 10 years no claims) that will make things easier. I found previous insurers surprisingly helpful - even companies that I was insured with for a year, ages ago, were happy to send emails to the broker.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:09 pm
Born again atheist

AXA will probably ask you for insurance history going back 10 years, so if you can get confirmation from former insurers to cover that period (if you have 10 years no claims) that will make things easier. I found previous insurers surprisingly helpful - even companies that I was insured with for a year, ages ago, were happy to send emails to the broker.
Thanks. I've got 20+ years of no claims insurance in Canada. I'll call my agent here on Monday.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

OK, I have a supplemental question, another one I should have asked some time ago. Sorry.

Here it's normal for the dealer to deal with re-registering the car for you. Is that the case in France?

If not, and likely it isn't, what exactly are the steps involved?

I'm embarrassed not to have asked this before.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you can buy from a dealer, they'll more than likely register it in your name if you wish, for a smallish extra fee on top of the registration fee. In fact when people buy cars privately, they often go to a dealer who offers this service to get the carte grise changed over. Alternatively you can still go to the prefecture yourself rather than pay the fee, but not all prefectures do it these days. If you're buying a used car, all the details are here:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...rs/F1050.xhtml - of course if you register it through the dealer you buy it from, he will provide the docs relating to the car, you will just need to sign them and produce your proof of ID and address. And pay the fee, of course!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:44 pm
Born again atheist

If you can buy from a dealer, they'll more than likely register it in your name if you wish, for a smallish extra fee on top of the registration fee. In fact when people buy cars privately, they often go to a dealer who offers this service to get the carte grise changed over. Alternatively you can still go to the prefecture yourself rather than pay the fee, but not all prefectures do it these days. If you're buying a used car, all the details are here:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...rs/F1050.xhtml - of course if you register it through the dealer you buy it from, he will provide the docs relating to the car, you will just need to sign them and produce your proof of ID and address. And pay the fee, of course!
Thank you again sir. I appear to be becoming a worry-wort.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Registering cars in another country is supposed to getting easier in 2014.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...164:FIN:EN:PDF

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...n/index_en.htm

TBH in the main it's not a particularly onerous task now but the changes will be welcome all the same.

As far as your question about registering as a non resident goes the single most important document you will need to facilitate that is a utility bill showing your name and address and less than 3 month old, typically EDF. If you can produce that then the process will be no different then it would be for a French resident. Whilst you obviously need insurance it is not necessary to give proof of it when registering.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for posting that link, ImandEr - long overdue, IMHO, but good to know it's finally been recognised that the current restrictions are no longer fit for purpose.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Let's not count our chickens just yet though hey ?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:48 pm
Born again atheist

Brain picking again, if you'd all be so good.

I'll be arriving in France in a fortnight exactly and this ad on leboncoin was posted today...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/423038659.htm?ca=4_s

I'd appreciate any comments on the model, value, problems to look out for etc.

Thx in advance.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Novo,
Judging from the numbers one sees on the road, it's a very popular car, so I guess tens of thousands of people can't be wrong.
Having said that Wiki states that initially the 307 model suffered from below average build quality and reliability. Things apparently improved including a facelift from 2005 onwards, and subsequent year models were said to be a lot more reliable and trustworthy. I see it's a 2006 model you are looking at that, so that's a positive point.
I had a long-term lease 307 at my disposal from 2006-07, did an average of 14k klms/year without problems of note.
I see that the 2006 model you have earmarked has an average mileage for the period to date. I think I would prefer a slightly lower mileage vehicle <40k, but if in excellent condition you may have a good buy. I see there's a 3 month guarantee. I would offer their asking price but with a 6 month written guarantee, leave them my tel number, and wish them good-day. I bet they would call you back within a week.
The s/h car market (and even more the new car market) here are in dire straits!
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.