Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Brushing up vocabulary for tomorrow's match

Brushing up vocabulary for tomorrow's match

Old Jul 9th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brushing up vocabulary for tomorrow's match

A somewhat tongue-in cheek title I admit.
After having watched the France-Uruguay and Belgium-Brazil World Cup matches last week - and loving 'em, one should expect that tomorrow's (Tues) match France v Belgium to be a cracker!
Now I'm sure that many regular's here will already be familiar with popular football terms/expressions in French. I learn however - not without amusement - that Belgian French has an altogether different number of football terms/expressions.
This morning listening to the radio, my fascination was aroused on hearing these differences, and just for general interest - and perhaps a few smiles - is a list of just a few I recall hearing. (I'm aware that there are 3 official languages spoken in Belgium, but it's the Belgian/French that we're referring to here): listed in order of English/French/Belgian.
A red card / un carton rouge / une carte rouge
The crossbar / la barre transversal / la latte
A shot / un tir / un shot
A winger / un ailier / un joueur de flanc
The penalty area / la surface de reparation / le grand rectangle (love it)!
The goal area / les six metres / le petit rectangle (follows their logic I guess)
A corner / un corner / un coup de coin
A score of 0:0 / score nul / score blanc
Equal score / un match nul / un partage
Shirt or jersey / un maillot / une vareuse (had to look up that spelling)
Goalkeeper / guardien de but / keeper
Substitute / un remplacement / une montee au jeu
Own goal / un but contre son camp / un autogoal (as George Clooney might say, "What else!")
A goal shot / un six metres / un coup de pied de but (definitely not to be confused with un coup de pied au cul, which I hear at home at least twice a week).......

Having seen both teams play recently, Wed's match England/ Croatia is also expected to be particularly watcheable.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 9th 2018 at 9:23 am.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brushing up vocabulary for tomorrow's match

Did anyone else see/ does anyone else remember that wonderful series on UK TV many years back when Ron Atkinson (I think it was) was supposed to be learning French?
Can't remember the details but I seem to recall there were several UK sports commentators who had agreed to be coached in French with a view to eventually doing a slot on French radio.
It all proved too much for poor Ron, he started off very bullish but learning French wasn't really for him and got progressively more and more sullen and unwilling to cooperate, and when his big moment arrived, about the only phrase he managed to come up with, which he repeated at every possible opportunity through the commentary, was 'Il est bon dribbleur". Hilarious.

Edit - found this. Apparently it was just Big Ron, nothing about any other sports commentators.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ce-411513.html

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jul 9th 2018 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Did anyone else see/ does anyone else remember that wonderful series on UK TV many years back when Ron Atkinson (I think it was) was supposed to be learning French?
Can't remember the details but I seem to recall there were several UK sports commentators who had agreed to be coached in French with a view to eventually doing a slot on French radio.
It all proved too much for poor Ron, he started off very bullish but learning French wasn't really for him and got progressively more and more sullen and unwilling to cooperate, and when his big moment arrived, about the only phrase he managed to come up with, which he repeated at every possible opportunity through the commentary, was 'Il est bon dribbleur". Hilarious.

Edit - found this. Apparently it was just Big Ron, nothing about any other sports commentators.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ce-411513.html
Funnily enough I was talking about this programme with the owner of the restaurant near us where some of it was filmed. They stayed in a house on a couple of KMs from us in Gordes and the restaurant is called le Carcarille. we know the people quite well. The others were Esther Ranzen, marcus Brigstock and the aforementioned Ron Atkinson. who was supposed to be a wine waiter and apparently drank rather more than he served.
Knowing i am a football fan the owner came for a chat about the World Cup nd we were contemplating just who I would support in the event of a France Englan final.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Funnily enough I was talking about this programme with the owner of the restaurant near us where some of it was filmed. They stayed in a house on a couple of KMs from us in Gordes and the restaurant is called le Carcarille. we know the people quite well.
There's a place called Gordes? I hope the locals are called Gordies?

Knowing i am a football fan the owner came for a chat about the World Cup nd we were contemplating just who I would support in the event of a France Englan final.
Don't worry, it will be Belgium - Croatia. You read it here first.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;12529757]There's a place called Gordes? I hope the locals are called Gordies?

Unfortunately they are all called Parisians.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I was talking about this programme with the owner of the restaurant near us where some of it was filmed. They stayed in a house on a couple of KMs from us in Gordes and the restaurant is called le Carcarille. we know the people quite well. The others were Esther Ranzen, marcus Brigstock and the aforementioned Ron Atkinson. who was supposed to be a wine waiter and apparently drank rather more than he served.
As for International Rugby and Tennis, I'd be rooting for France, but wouldn't be disappointed if England won! I just hope there aren't any more "tirs au but", my nerves wouldn't stand another one....
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

With England's geordie goalkeeper??????
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Brushing up vocabulary for tomorrow's match

With England's geordie goalkeeper??????
Pickford has played magnificently so far, all credit due. But he was born in Washington, County Durham so technically isn't a Geordie anyway. He's a bit like Andy Murray, a British (or even sometimes an English) player when he wins and a Scottish player when he loses. Pickford will be a Geordie if England win and a Mackem if they lose.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmmm. So I was half wrong. I'd be very happy to be completely wrong, of course. Sunday would be terrific fun if we watched the final over the road in the Bar Normandie.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

You were indeed only half wrong and Pickford is a Mackem !

Daughter messaged on Tuesday and we read "Alan les bleus" Then a few minutes later "Bl^^^^ predictive text!"She is a fluent French speaker, and writer.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 9:32 am
Born again atheist

You were indeed only half wrong and Pickford is a Mackem !

Daughter messaged on Tuesday and we read "Alan les bleus" Then a few minutes later "Bl^^^^ predictive text!"She is a fluent French speaker, and writer.
England were outplayed by Croatia, but I suppose they exceeded all expectations in getting so far.

Allez les Bleus indeed.