Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Brittany residents

Brittany residents

Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Plodder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brittany residents

Hi, I am a new member and considering moving to Brittany.

Of course I have so many questions, however the research has begun.

Is there anyone out there that has lived, or is living in Brittany. If so, do you have knowledge of the Côtes-d'Armor area.

Which are the main towns, which area's are more rural, market town environments, industrial, or leisure/holiday based. Which area's are more expensive to buy a rural property in, and what is the ferry service from Portsmouth to St. Malo like?

I an hoping to integrate with French rural life. Are there area's mainly populated with British ex-pats?

I am hoping to relocate permanently and buy a cottage with half an acre.

Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brittany residents

Originally Posted by Plodder

Is there anyone out there that has lived, or is living in Brittany. If so, do you have knowledge of the Côtes-d'Armor area.

Which are the main towns, which area's are more rural, market town environments, industrial, or leisure/holiday based. Which area's are more expensive to buy a rural property in, and what is the ferry service from Portsmouth to St. Malo like?

I an hoping to integrate with French rural life. Are there area's mainly populated with British ex-pats?

Hi, welcome to the Forum!
I'm afraid I can't help, except to say that I know the triangle made by Erquy/ St Malo/Avranches and Rennes, but nothing further west. I would suggest that you come over for a holiday and drive around the Côtes d'Armor to see for yourself and get the feel of the area.
You haven't mentioned whether you're retired or will be looking for work, whether you speak French, coming alone or with a family, ... We need these details since answers to questions can differ greatly depending on your circumstances.
Give us a bit more info and ask away, we're here to advise and hopefully help!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

I am alone (apart from my black Labrador) and I will not be looking for work. I do not speak French, but will start to learn.

In the Spring I'm planning to stay in a B&B for a week or so to get to know the area.

I will have to sell my current property in England before I can buy.

Do you have any basic tips for me to begin with.

I obviously want to make sure that any Notary I employ is registered and reputable. Is there a official Government register.

Thank you.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply.

I am alone (apart from my black Labrador) and I will not be looking for work. I do not speak French, but will start to learn.

In the Spring I'm planning to stay in a B&B for a week or so to get to know the area.

I will have to sell my current property in England before I can buy.

Do you have any basic tips for me to begin with.

I obviously want to make sure that any Notary I employ is registered and reputable. Is there a official Government register.

Thank you.
Hi again.
Unlike avocats, Notaires are unbiassed public officers who work in every one's bests interests where property conveyancing is concerned, and all charge the same fees. You can find all the Notaires in the Côtes d'Armor in

http://www.chambre-cotesdarmor.notaires.fr/

Good idea to spend a week in one place, e.g. Guingamp, St Brieuc or anywhere along the coast towards Lannion, and drive in all directions to get an idea. Do you definitely want to live the the Côtes d'Armor? If you were intending to return to the UK often by ferry, you could consider going further west to the Roscoff area or east towards St Malo, neither of which are in the Côtes d'Armor but are just as Breton!
I suspect there aren't all that many BE members in the 22. You could try posting on a regional forum for more local info. Meanwhile, fire away with questions about general life in France!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

To be honest I don't have any specific area that I am looking at. My main priorities are a 2/3 bed cottage with some land of half an acre or more, located in a hamlet or village within half an hours drive of a town.

As everywhere there are area's that are more expensive to buy a property and acquire services. Are there area differences like these in Brittany? If so, please detail.

A rural friendly community is key, whereby I can integrate. Having a few English speaking families in the area would be an advantage.

Are there area's of Brittany that the British seem to move to?

How have you been received in Brittany by french neighbours, shops, businesses and the authorities. You hear so many mixed views.

Is it acceptable to request that important official documentation e.g. property purchase contracts, insurance policies to be translated into English?

I really appreciate you feedback, thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A poster called Andrea50 (who hasn't posted for some time) moved to a rural cottage with about the amount of land you want a couple of years ago.

IIRC she bought in a village midway between St. Brieuc and Loudeac, so not million miles away from your target area.

If you search for her posts in the forum you might find useful information. Also send her a PM in case she checks in again anytime.

Cheers.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thank you for the information.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A poster called Andrea50 (who hasn't posted for some time) moved to a rural cottage with about the amount of land you want a couple of years ago.

IIRC she bought in a village midway between St. Brieuc and Loudeac, so not million miles away from your target area.

If you search for her posts in the forum you might find useful information. Also send her a PM in case she checks in again anytime.

Cheers.
Hi, I have an idea her village is much further west, in the middle of the Finisterre? I remember looking for it on the Atlas as my s.i.l. lives in Rennes and I could have dropped in and checked her chainsaw, but she was too far away....
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I have an idea her village is much further west, in the middle of the Finisterre? I remember looking for it on the Atlas as my s.i.l. lives in Rennes and I could have dropped in and checked her chainsaw, but she was too far away....
You might be right. Memory like a sieve. I wonder why she stopped posting... she was often extremely amusing. At one point she said she was planning a blog, I don't suppose anyone has a link?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

You might be right. Memory like a sieve. I wonder why she stopped posting... she was often extremely amusing. At one point she said she was planning a blog, I don't suppose anyone has a link?
Andrea indicated that she was located in La Feuillee, Brittany. She became quite a regular and a real character - unfortunately doesn't appear to have posted since July 2010. I hope everything's ok if she may be reading this - or anyone living nearby.
I may have to get my deerstalker on and magnifying glass out and start investigating.......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 8th 2012 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:22 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Andrea indicated that she was located in La Feuillee, Brittany. She became quite a regular and a real character - unfortunately doesn't appear to have posted since July 2010. I hope everything's ok if she may be reading this - or anyone living nearby.
I may have to get my deerstalker on and magnifying glass out and start investigating.......
Oh, don't do that. I'd miss your current avatar.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, don't do that. I'd miss your current avatar.
She's just gone into hibernation, but will be back with seasonal changes!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

ardlifeinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Plodder
Google angloinfo, brittany section, you will get all your questions answered. we brits are all over the place, we are in Finistere dept 29, lots in Morbihan dept 56, more so around Pontivy, Josselin area, apparently its a bit warmer in 56 as well. Cotes d'amor is a fabulous area with some very expensive towns, but it is a buyers market at the moment and there are some fab bargains to be had. It goes without saying that the further from the coast, the cheaper it gets, but the more cut off from life you are. Happy hunting.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

halkpaixi is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to here.