Reload this Page >

British Tv in France for a lost student

British Tv in France for a lost student

Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Papou is on a distinguished road
Red face British Tv in France for a lost student

Hi everybody,
My name is Pierre, I'm 18 and I'm a freshman (It is an American word, isn't it ? ) at the Université de Savoie (i hope that the accented "e" won't turn into a bizarre "%#@") where I study English (that's why my English is a little approximative).
To improve my comprehension and my culture, I'd like to know how you can receive British TV in France (not just BBC Prime, I don't really like it). I googled "watch sky abroad" but I'm a little lost in the middle of those "wonderful offers" from people who wants me to buy the sky box HD, the big dish in case of I have to ran away to Sahara.
I've already try to listen to BBC radio 4 (I love Brain of Britain) but I don't receive in Chambéry (fortunately, during my holidays in Normandy , I can enjoy Virgin Radio, BBC radio 4 and other great radio channels on medium and longwaves however I go to Normandy only three weeks a year). I'm a little sick of listening BBC radio on internet as my teachers advise me because my wi-fi reception is very bad and my computer is a little bit heavy to take it from a room to another.
So my questions are simple : do you think it is possible to get British TV from satellite with a box and a dish bought in France ? Is it really expensive ? What is the size of the dish necessary in Savoie ?

Thank you in advance to all of you. I thought that, you expats, were the best informed persons about that matter !

Don't hesitate to tell me : Pierre, you're a nice guy but forget it. You'll watch British TV when you go to Britain !

P.S : Sorry for having told you my whole life !
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:39 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Tv in France for a lost student

Salut et bienvenue Pierre.

On some of the other forums, like angloinfo.com, you'll see people selling both dishes and the set-top boxes. These are a cheaper alternative to the guys that are artisans fitting the boxes and the dishes all of the time. If I see any for sale in my area, I'll let you know on here, ok?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for answering me so rapidly !
I'll take a look at angloinfo.com

See you !
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Wow, I found that : www.freesat.co.uk

Maybe I'll wait for it !
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:30 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

No problems, bon chance!

Oh, and your written English is excellent!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

News from Chambéry !
In case of some expats or students like me are lost in the incredible maze of the satellite digital TV
I kept looking for information about how to get Brith TV in France and the good solution seems to be Freesat. Obviously, according to the Freesat official website and more precisely to this page : http://www.freesat.co.uk/help.php#q10 , Freesat will be available on Eurobird 28.5 East (Which is not really interesting for the moment but will be as equivalent as Astra 2D with Freesat if you can buy your Freesat box in UK). Indeed, the coverage area of Eurobird 1 seems to be more appropriate for British TV in France, the dish you need to receive Eurobird 1 will probably be smaller than the one you need for Astra 2D (click here to see the Eurobird fixed beam coverage map : http://www.eutelsat.org/satellites/285e_popd.html ).
In my case, it will probably be able to use a selfsat or neovia flat plate antenna because I live in an apartment (but for the moment I have to be careful with those new dishes, I often read reports in which it was said that the reception was bad comparing to a classic dish).
So for the moment, wait and see !
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Heptonstall is on a distinguished road

I's it possible to receive satellite TV without sticking one of those ugly satellite dishes on the outside of my house? Is there anything a little more discrete - perhaps something that I could stick in the attic?
regards to all
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Location: Currently Kuwait but soon to be near L'Isle Jourdain (86)
witsinkw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Heptonstall
I's it possible to receive satellite TV without sticking one of those ugly satellite dishes on the outside of my house? Is there anything a little more discrete - perhaps something that I could stick in the attic?
regards to all
It's my understanding that satellite TV reception is always dependant upon direct line of sight with the broadcasting satellite.

This is why trees and even weather conditions can have an effect on clear reception.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by witsinkw
It's my understanding that satellite TV reception is always dependant upon direct line of sight with the broadcasting satellite.

This is why trees and even weather conditions can have an effect on clear reception.
True, the dish picks up the signal and the lnb transmits the signal from the dish to the box.
If there is a dish close to you ask the owner if you could put a double lnb onto their dish and connect one line to your box.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Heptonstall
regards to all
It depends on what satellite you want to receive and where you live.
Take look at www.cubsat.com , they sell special dishes. There are also selfsat, neovia or Kathrein products but there are less performant.