Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Britain to quit EU?

Britain to quit EU?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Britain to quit EU?

I wonder what the ramifications might be for Ex-Pats if UK quits the EU?
Would that make us all illegal immigrants to be denied essential services or worse, driven out.
Maybe applying for French citizenship before its too late might be the answer.
Is it worth becoming paranoid over Cameron's sword rattling?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Britain to quit EU?

Originally Posted by wetwang
Short answer: No.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Originally Posted by wetwang
I wonder what the ramifications might be for Ex-Pats if UK quits the EU?
Would that make us all illegal immigrants to be denied essential services or worse, driven out.
Maybe applying for French citizenship before its too late might be the answer.
I don't know whether it is worth becoming paranoid over Cameron's sword rattling, but I will be applying for French citizenship next year when I become eligible for it - on a just in case basis.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cmread
I don't know whether it is worth becoming paranoid over Cameron's sword rattling, but I will be applying for French citizenship next year when I become eligible for it - on a just in case basis.
As far as I can gather, if there is an "in-out" referendum it won't be for another three or four years so there's plenty of time to decide what to do, if anything. As regards taking out French citizenship, why not? It doesn't cost much, dual nationality is accepted by both countries and it's fairly logical to have the citizenship of the country one lives in permanently, as then one can vote and thus, symbolically, have a say in who makes the decisions and how one's taxes are spent. As the UK isn't part of Schengen, the hassle of coming and going will remain the same.
Should the UK withdraw from the EU, which would appear to be a most unlikely outcome, the most worrying aspect might be for British pensioners living here as regards health care if bipartite agreements based on EU directives lose their validity. Otherwise, UK citizens are certainly not going to become 'illegal immigrants' overnight.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:21 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe leaving EU is a good move in a long period of time, who knows?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nora77
Maybe leaving EU is a good move in a long period of time, who knows?
well Dave seems to think he knows.............
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:29 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
well Dave seems to think he knows.............
Sometimes I am just sick seeing EU officers telling us how long should be banana , not to mention war agains global warming and selling CO2 limits which is pure robbery if biurocracy in EU is going to grow as it is at the moment, it will fall, maybe our grandsons will see the fall?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I am just sick seeing EU officers telling us how long should be banana , not to mention war agains global warming and selling CO2 limits which is pure robbery if biurocracy in EU is going to grow as it is at the moment, it will fall, maybe our grandsons will see the fall?
nah, much sooner than that.
many people across Europe are getting fed up of waking up in the morning to find the people they elected are getting more instructions from non-elected hasbeens who have moved on from national politics to bigger and better things.
why do you think Anthony Charles Lynton Blair has been speaking out against Cameron ? ? He's laying down the foundations for an EU President role now people have realised that all the £millions that have been given to him to bring about Middle East peace have all been for nothing.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...PM-attack.html

And for how long can the EU carry on failing its annual audit - 14 years IIRC - if it was a company it would have called in the administrators years ago.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Considering the poor global economic situation, I think that UK quitting EU would be a big mistake. I think it will have severe implications for the economy, that could maybe even see it become worse than countries such as Greece or Spain. At least at the beginning it could be very bad, so I don't think Cameron should do this within the next 5 years at least.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to reread your own post and count the fallacies, mistakes and downright lies in this short contribution?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:59 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Cameron is seeking to renegotiate the Treaty in respect of some parts that, arguably, negatively affect the UK. If his government is returned after the next election he would put a 'yes' / 'no' in-out vote option on that renegotiation outcome to the public in a referendum.

My question is why would EU member countries and governments and the thousands of mandarins spend the time and money renegotiating aspects of the current Treaty over the next several years to the benefit of the UK when a 'no' majority in a referendum, which has to be a possibility, would take the UK out, making all that renegotiation a waste of time?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Cameron is seeking to renegotiate the Treaty in respect of some parts that, arguably, negatively affect the UK. If his government is returned after the next election he would put a 'yes' / 'no' in-out vote option on that renegotiation outcome to the public in a referendum.

My question is why would EU member countries and governments and the thousands of mandarins spend the time and money renegotiating aspects of the current Treaty over the next several years to the benefit of the UK when a 'no' majority in a referendum, which has to be a possibility, would take the UK out, making all that renegotiation a waste of time?
Domestic politics!
Every leader has to play to the domestic gallery especially when elections are on the horizon. e.g. Angela Merkel and François Hollande. It also happened during the recent US presidential campaign and also the 2012 Greek elections.
Like all politicians they say one thing in public and something else in private.
David Cameron is aware that UKIP are gaining ground in the polls and some of his own MPs are talking about defecting to UKIP.
Unless the Conservatives get a majority in 2015, then it just won't happen.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

But , maybe , DC stakes his new claims e.g. by achieving additional exclusions as Merkel ( ze current 4th Reich's Fuehrer ) might yet agree ,
in order to save face and reduce GB's ca$h transfers & contributions
( truly , we're the 2nd largest payer , well ahead of France ! and of anyone else in the Baaad Club gone wrong & losing on all fronts , globally ! ),
of annual PAYMENTS into the common EU budget ?
BTW : The Gerries would also LOVE to start paying a bit less ,
just to be "in charge" of this failed pyramid of countries ,
consisting of +- 8 solvent & liquid ones and about 20 broke & pauperised others ( incl . Croatia , from July 2013 ) ;
- what do others think ?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
( truly , we're the 2nd largest payer , well ahead of France ! and of anyone else in the Baaad Club gone wrong & losing on all fronts , globally ! ),
of annual PAYMENTS into the common EU budget ?
Truly this is completely untrue;

1. Germany 19.7b euro contribution to the EU (2011)
2. France 18.1b
3. Italy 14.3b
4. UK 11.0b
5. Spain 10.0b

...all others less.

All the real data you could possibly want is here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ean-union#data

HTH
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Thank you for this correction ;
maybe I get served too much Daily Fail/express nonsense .
( I'm due to move to a new abode in Richmond constituency in March . )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.