Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Brit Moving to France from the USA... help!

Brit Moving to France from the USA... help!

Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

handslikesecrets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit Moving to France from the USA... help!

I was born in the UK and moved to the US in 2002. I was naturalized about three years ago.
I am considering moving to France in about a year to live and work for 6-12 months. I am applying for my French passport, as my father is French and I am eligible for one. I also have a US and British passport.
My question is, can I legally move to and work in Paris? I have a French passport, but I have never lived in France before, and am a naturalized US citizen.
Additionally, I have an American friend who may be moving with me. He is 100% American with an American passport. Is this plausible?
Thanks so much for any input!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Moving to France from the USA... help!

Originally Posted by handslikesecrets
I was born in the UK and moved to the US in 2002. I was naturalized about three years ago.
I am considering moving to France in about a year to live and work for 6-12 months. I am applying for my French passport, as my father is French and I am eligible for one. I also have a US and British passport.
My question is, can I legally move to and work in Paris? I have a French passport, but I have never lived in France before, and am a naturalized US citizen.
Additionally, I have an American friend who may be moving with me. He is 100% American with an American passport. Is this plausible?
You should have no problem in entering France with a UK passport.
As a EU citizen you have an entitlement to live and work (subject to being able to support yourself).
Your friend however, has a problem.
We have US friends who live in France part-time. They have to apply for a visa which I think is 6 months max. and the visa can take some time to arrive.
This is the same as UK citizens entering the US - you can get a visa for 6 months max.
I suggest that you contact a french embassy /consulate in the US and ask for advice and perhaps a definite decision.

Perhaps the US embassy in Paris could also help.

Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:03 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

From what I understand the OP sees it possible to be a citizen of three countries.
I am not sure that is legally possible. GB recognises dual nationality but not tri-nationality and I am not sure which ones are prioritised in what order.
You say you were born in GB so you are a GB citizen. You were naturalised so you are also an American citizen and your Father was French so you are entitled to a French passport but I am not sure the US will accept this situation. Best to ask at the US Embassy.

As for working here, unless you find a job BEFORE you come and if you don't speak French, it will have to be with an English speaking company, you will find it VERY hard to find work here. Since I don't know your line of work or whether you can speak French, I can't offer much more information.

I don't understand the passport thing...it isn't a window into finding work. You won't be hired because you have a French passport but more because you can speak the language. Paris is full of people with passports from all over the world.

Last edited by Etoile de Berger; Nov 19th 2011 at 8:05 am.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by handslikesecrets
Hi, be aware of all the documents that you'll have to provide to obtain a French Passport:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...s/F14929.xhtml
the most complicated ones being your "justificatif du domicile", if you live in the USA, and your father's birth certificate, issued by the Mairie of his birth at the most 3 months before applying for your Passport in a French Consulate in the US. AFAIK the person concerned has to request the b.c., so your father would have to obtain it and send it to you.
If you want a French Passport solely to be able to work in France (for 6-12 months?), I personally wouldn't bother, since you have a British Passport.
As for your friend, best thing is to enquire at your nearest French Consulate/Embassy about Visas.
I don't know whether you speak French and what your lines of business are, but I echo Etoile du Berger's warning - France is still in the middle of an economic crisis and the unemployment rate in southern Europe is VERY high compared to other EU countries. As you haven't paid social contributions in the UK you wouldn't be entitled to the Dole. You should bring enough money with you to survive for the duration, bearing in mind that the cost of living in Paris is high.
Hope this gives you food for thought!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger
From what I understand the OP sees it possible to be a citizen of three countries.

I am not sure that is legally possible. GB recognises dual nationality but not tri-nationality and I am not sure which ones are prioritised in what order.
Dual nationality is just shorthand for saying a person is recognised as a citizen under the laws of two countries. It's perfectly possible for someone to be recognised as a citizen by three (or more) countries, the OP being a case in point.

Some countries require naturalised citizens to give up other citizenships they may have; some revoke the citizenship of people discovered to possess or use a foreign citizenship; some simply require their citizens to identify themselves as such at the border (e.g. the USA); some don't really care (e.g. the UK).

You say you were born in GB so you are a GB citizen.
Not necessarily, but in this case yes.

You were naturalised so you are also an American citizen and your Father was French so you are entitled to a French passport but I am not sure the US will accept this situation.
They won't care as long as it's the US passport that gets shown to US immigration.

I don't understand the passport thing...it isn't a window into finding work. You won't be hired because you have a French passport but more because you can speak the language. Paris is full of people with passports from all over the world.
A French (or British) passport may not entitle the OP to a job, but would be proof of the right to live and work in France (or indeed any EU country). Non-European citizens need visas, residence permits, and work permits. These can range from non-trivial to impossible to obtain, and potential employers may well decide that it's not worthwhile getting involved.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding UK passports, perhaps someone can explain something to me.
I seem to recall that on the application form for a UK passport (initial request or renewal) there is a question that requests applicants to state that they do not hold another passport). How does this relate to those with dual nationality (with a passport from another country) and wishing to request a new UK passport?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Regarding UK passports, perhaps someone can explain something to me.
I seem to recall that on the application form for a UK passport (initial request or renewal) there is a question that requests applicants to state that they do not hold another passport). How does this relate to those with dual nationality (with a passport from another country) and wishing to request a new UK passport?

AFAIK the question only pertains to other UK passports. If you have another from another country you don't have to mention it.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:06 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, If you were silly enough to answer the question it would add no end of time to the application.