Brexit changes

Old Dec 28th 2020, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by KJMW
Absolutely no predictions, not from me anyway! None of us know but we do hope that it will be a good future, don't we?
I thought the thread was about discussing changes resulting from Brexit , hence predictions related to that.

I would hope everyone wants the best for Britain, and not gambling with the future based on ideological emotions or illogical wishful thinking.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

KJMW I would be very glad to see some specific details of BJ's career that make you think he's an exceptional politician. It would give me hope.
There are so many specific details that have given me a lack of confidence in him, such as - failed vanity projects such as his Garden Bridge that cost Londoners a lot of money; his irresponsible behaviour as a journalist; his disastrous lack of political astuteness as Foreign Secretary re the journalist in Iran; his lies about his relationships; his unwillingness to be held to account; his divisive language; his questionable use of public money; the disrespect he shows to people whose views he doesn't share; etc. All these things are on record. So if you could please list some of the things that have led you the conclusion that he's a good policician (as opposed to a good spin merchant) I would feel very much more optimistic about the UK's future. There's also a couple of quite damning biographies written by people who know him very well, but I'm leaving those out of the equation because I don't know enough about the writers to assess their motivation.

So I am greatly looking forward to discovering a different side of him that will reassure me..
Old Dec 28th 2020, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
KJMW I would be very glad to see some specific details of BJ's career that make you think he's an exceptional politician. It would give me hope.
There are so many specific details that have given me a lack of confidence in him, such as - failed vanity projects such as his Garden Bridge that cost Londoners a lot of money; his irresponsible behaviour as a journalist; his disastrous lack of political astuteness as Foreign Secretary re the journalist in Iran; his lies about his relationships; his unwillingness to be held to account; his divisive language; his questionable use of public money; the disrespect he shows to people whose views he doesn't share; etc. All these things are on record. So if you could please list some of the things that have led you the conclusion that he's a good policician (as opposed to a good spin merchant) I would feel very much more optimistic about the UK's future. There's also a couple of quite damning biographies written by people who know him very well, but I'm leaving those out of the equation because I don't know enough about the writers to assess their motivation.

So I am greatly looking forward to discovering a different side of him that will reassure me..
Dont forget that he illegality disbanded parliament and lied to Queen.
Not to mention that he had no hesitance to break international law.
Unscrupulous sleazy two-faced clown, described at best.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 12:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

despite his apparent clowning ,Boris Johnson is an exceptional politician. !
Johnson is a bumbling clown of a politician, you only have to look at how he behaved as Mayor of London, a garden bridge, abandoned cost £55 million, the new routemaster buses, all had to be modified after delivery, they got far too hot so had to have windows installed. His ziplining where he got stuck waving two UK flags, He became a laughing stock, and then the Tories made him PM, and things didn't improve, he made so many statements, he would block a third heathrow runway, but it's gone through, he would never abandon erasmus, the brexit trade deal would be a simple discussion,,there was an oven ready deal ready to be signed, simplest job ever. He walks out of Parliament chamber when things that involve him are being discussed. He goes missing for days at some of the most difficly times for the country. He has allowed Cummings to decide many of 'his' policies and he has failed to descipline ministers for their escapades during lock down, and the utter corrupt activites of Jenrick, with his you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. He said, openly, the Cummings had no input into Cobra decisions, then he changed his mind and said that Cummings did attend COBRA meetings but had no input, then he had to do yet another U turn when it was proved that Cummings was an integral part of the discussions, and often led them. I could go on and on, but anyone who believes Johnson is and 'exceptional politician' hasn't been hearing the same news the vast majority of the UK public have heard.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You could throw into the mix recent examples such as: Planning reforms. School meals fiasco. Test and trace fiasco. HoL nominations. Failure to meet emissions targets. Massive failure on water pollution targets. Reduction in international aid. Internal markets bill. Stating there would be no trade checks between NI and Britain. Multiple failure to meet obligations in publishing public contracts, there are millions of pounds worth of contracts that the government is refusing to disclose.
The one good piece of policy I can think of that this government has put forward is the animal welfare bill, which presumably they did because they wanted something good to point at. Animal rights is a safe bet because it has popular support and it requires no investment from the government, So credit where it's due, even if they did it for the wrong reasons, it's still a good move provided the industry supports it.
I'm looking forward to some more positive examples.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:04 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Johnson is a bumbling clown of a politician, you only have to look at how he behaved as Mayor of London, a garden bridge, abandoned cost £55 million, the new routemaster buses, all had to be modified after delivery, they got far too hot so had to have windows installed. His ziplining where he got stuck waving two UK flags, He became a laughing stock, and then the Tories made him PM, and things didn't improve, he made so many statements, he would block a third heathrow runway, but it's gone through, he would never abandon erasmus, the brexit trade deal would be a simple discussion,,there was an oven ready deal ready to be signed, simplest job ever. He walks out of Parliament chamber when things that involve him are being discussed. He goes missing for days at some of the most difficly times for the country. He has allowed Cummings to decide many of 'his' policies and he has failed to descipline ministers for their escapades during lock down, and the utter corrupt activites of Jenrick, with his you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. He said, openly, the Cummings had no input into Cobra decisions, then he changed his mind and said that Cummings did attend COBRA meetings but had no input, then he had to do yet another U turn when it was proved that Cummings was an integral part of the discussions, and often led them. I could go on and on, but anyone who believes Johnson is and 'exceptional politician' hasn't been hearing the same news the vast majority of the UK public have heard.
You seem to have an intimate knowledge of Boris Johnson and clearly know everything regarding his behaviour and what he thinks. Does he know, I wonder, just how brilliant you are? Perhaps you should be on the COBRA team!!
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:06 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
Dont forget that he illegality disbanded parliament and lied to Queen.
Not to mention that he had no hesitance to break international law.
Unscrupulous sleazy two-faced clown, described at best.
Rather strange that your 'opinion' is very much in the minority of thinking. Johnson is the best P.M. we have had since Thatcher.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Rather strange that your 'opinion' is very much in the minority of thinking. Johnson is the best P.M. we have had since Thatcher.

What are you basing this on? Do you have a link to the data to back up your statement?

Rosemary
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You seem to have an intimate knowledge of Boris Johnson and clearly know everything regarding his behaviour and what he thinks. Does he know, I wonder, just how brilliant you are? Perhaps you should be on the COBRA team!!
Well, I only know what I learn from various media sources, and even then I'm selective in what I believe. Obviously I don't know what he thinks, and I only know what he does as far as I've seen it reported in what I consider a reliable source. We'll gloss over the notion of having an intimate knowledge of him if you don't mind, because the image makes me feel queasy.
I was simply explaining what information my opinion is based on, because that's what people do when they put forward an opinion.
You have a different opinion based on different information, and I would be interested in knowing what information that is based on. As Rosemary says, links would be good.
For the record, in the most recent YouGov poll, 56% of people thought BJ was doing badly as PM and only 37% thought he was doing well, which I believe puts EU.flag in with the majority. Here's a link to back that up https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...pproval-rating
Also a link to a Tory party poll on their ministers' performance, taken in their party conference week a few months back. Oops, Johnson had negative rating of 10.3 with his own party members, and only Gavin Williamson scored worse. https://www.conservativehome.com/the...territory.html

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 28th 2020 at 6:08 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 4:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well, I only know what I learn from various media sources, and even then I'm selective in what I believe. Obviously I don't know what he thinks, and I only know what he does as far as I've seen it reported in what I consider a reliable source. We'll gloss over the notion of having an intimate knowledge of him if you don't mind, because the image makes me feel queasy.
I was simply explaining what information my opinion is based on, because that's what people do when they put forward an opinion.
You have a different opinion based on different information, and I would be interested in knowing what information that is based on. As Rosemary says, links would be good.
For the record, in the most recent YouGov poll, 56% of people thought BJ was doing badly as PM and only 37% thought he was doing well, which I believe puts EU.flag in with the majority. Here's a link to back that up https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...pproval-rating
Also a link to a Tory party poll on their ministers' performance, taken in their party conference week a few months back. Oops, Johnson had negative rating of 10.3 with his own party members, and only Gavin Williamson scored worse. https://www.conservativehome.com/the...territory.html
My point is that people don't give an opinion they state things as facts and then excuse it by saying it's an opinion!. Calling people names isn't an informed opinion!
Old Dec 29th 2020, 4:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rosemary
What are you basing this on? Do you have a link to the data to back up your statement?

Rosemary
Perhaps I should have put in a way so that is more easily understood. In my opinion he is the best P.M since Thatcher.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 4:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perhaps I should have put in a way so that is more easily understood. In my opinion he is the best P.M since Thatcher.
Why?

Also, not that Rosemary needs me to but in but I will anyway. Her post was actually referencing this comment of yours.

Rather strange that your 'opinion' is very much in the minority of thinking.
Now , I would call this a sweeping statement & I am not a fan of those really. No-one can talk for all others. However, you may have seen or accessed a current opinion poll ( not too much a fan of those either really) in which case it is always helpful to link.

I have to say that what I read from all those we know back in the UK at the present time and also with those we know not currently in the UK or even of the UK, that they think Boris and current Govt is something of a farcical disaster on several and many fronts. So, my impression is that those sticking to the idea that Boris is a saviour of some sort are the ones in the minority. Mostly they seem to feel it is ' not his fault' which I find an odd mantra given his job is to lead a nation and a country.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 5:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why?

Also, not that Rosemary needs me to but in but I will anyway. Her post was actually referencing this comment of yours.

Now , I would call this a sweeping statement & I am not a fan of those really. No-one can talk for all others. However, you may have seen or accessed a current opinion poll ( not too much a fan of those either really) in which case it is always helpful to link.

I have to say that what I read from all those we know back in the UK at the present time and also with those we know not currently in the UK or even of the UK, that they think Boris and current Govt is something of a farcical disaster on several and many fronts. So, my impression is that those sticking to the idea that Boris is a saviour of some sort are the ones in the minority. Mostly they seem to feel it is ' not his fault' which I find an odd mantra given his job is to lead a nation and a country.
You are right she doesn't need you. I feel sure she will speak for herself. You can, of course, think what you will regarding the present government. The fact is Boris was elected to remove us from the E.C. He has done that very well. People are drawn to others who share the same view. Natural I suppose but misleading because that is all they hear, or read. I'm afraid impressions are not reality.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 7:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Some more information coming out re changes. People will have to pay duty on good bought from thee UK countries if the value if £390 or more, this will include things bought through EBay. https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/br...174018218.html
Old Dec 29th 2020, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My point is that people don't give an opinion they state things as facts and then excuse it by saying it's an opinion!. Calling people names isn't an informed opinion!
My point was that an informed opinion is based on facts. I was really looking forward to a list of facts supporting the opinion that BJ is a good PM. Believe me I would like to think that he is, it would give me hope. But when all I see is facts that seem to show he is not a good PM, how can I form an opinion that he is?
I agree that he promised to get Brexit done (initially by last October if memory serves, then by December). So after 2 broken promises he came good on the third. That's something but I don't think it's sufficient to make him a good PM. However, I do take your point that if at the last election people thought that the only thing that mattered was getting Brexit done, they'll be satisfied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.