Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Break and enter

Break and enter

Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Break and enter

We woke this morning to find our barn door had been forced open. It normally open outwards. But it was forced in. With such a force that it wedged under the joists of the first floor. They are ruined. I have bodged them shut but don't really see the point in getting new double doors made as the barn is a wreck.

It looks like a bumper mark is on the door, so may have been forced with a car, which would expain how wedged it was and how they bent th esteel hinges. And it was only one of the doors, the one that is clearly not tied to the side wall.

Weird for such a sleepy village.

As I was trying to sort it out a man in a beaten up white van drove up and asked (I think) if there was machiery inside... Coincidence? I told him I didn't speak French and it was vide. Whicj it is aprt from our wood supply and our girls bikes.

Worst thinng is, they could have just opened it, it wasn't locked!!!

Not expecting help, just telling some news, as I rarely have any
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:03 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Break and enter

Originally Posted by loy loy
We woke this morning to find our barn door had been forced open. It normally open outwards. But it was forced in. With such a force that it wedged under the joists of the first floor. They are ruined. I have bodged them shut but don't really see the point in getting new double doors made as the barn is a wreck.

It looks like a bumper mark is on the door, so may have been forced with a car, which would expain how wedged it was and how they bent th esteel hinges. And it was only one of the doors, the one that is clearly not tied to the side wall.

Weird for such a sleepy village.

As I was trying to sort it out a man in a beaten up white van drove up and asked (I think) if there was machiery inside... Coincidence? I told him I didn't speak French and it was vide. Whicj it is aprt from our wood supply and our girls bikes.

Worst thinng is, they could have just opened it, it wasn't locked!!!

Not expecting help, just telling some news, as I rarely have any
Do people park in front of it? The illusive group caravan dwellers springs to mind, A couple of years ago I confronted 3 folk and a couple of kids stealing stuff in our village. I caught them very unawares before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch. It's easy to think that France is easy going but burglary is on the up here.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

"before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch"

Mass murder! Or, the importance of the humble apostrophe.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:54 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
"before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch"

Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I won't quote the Viz characters name* but yes, I was thinking our travelling friends. No one ever parks in front of it, it's on a bend in the road.

*about 25 years ago
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Where the barn's situated, could a vehicle have lost control on the bend and crashed into it??
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if a vehicle had crashed, you or any neighbours would have heard it??
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

It could have, but it wasn't. The door had marks of a bumper, but not a dent from an impact. Also it was only the door that could be pushed. It was too well positioned.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loy loy
It could have, but it wasn't. The door had marks of a bumper, but not a dent from an impact. Also it was only the door that could be pushed. It was too well positioned.
Simplest solution is normally right. Ours was a sleepy hameau, Now even the rabbit hutches have locks on them. In the summer we left our car unlocked and in the morning the passenger door and glove box were wide open. They didn't touch the stereo or sat nag I would given them 10 euros to clean all the kids crap out.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Simplest solution is normally right. Ours was a sleepy hameau, Now even the rabbit hutches have locks on them. In the summer we left our car unlocked and in the morning the passenger door and glove box were wide open. They didn't touch the stereo or sat nag I would given them 10 euros to clean all the kids crap out.
Don't use her anymore - bought a TomTom instead
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:43 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

At expense of closing said barn door after the CV has bolted. A word to wait to your inquisitive visitor, while you noted the reg or snapped the van's image may have acted as a deterrent if he was a guilty party.

Tattle up my neck suggests, crims go round a property at night, rattling the shutters. If light goes on etc., scarper, if not force shutters open and break-in. Hearsay, yes, but given the number of holiday homes around this neck a possibly lucrative risk.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cyrian
Don't use her anymore - bought a TomTom instead
Thanks Loy Loy for inadvertently starting what has turned into a hilarious thread.

Sorry about your barn doors all the same.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Love it.......my personal 'post of the day'

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Thanks Loy Loy for inadvertently starting what has turned into a hilarious thread.

Sorry about your barn doors all the same.
Glad to have been of use