Border Checks?

Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Woofer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Border Checks?

Does anyone know if there are constant border checks between France and Luxembourg and France and Germany? Any information would be most helpful.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Checks?

Originally Posted by Woofer
Does anyone know if there are constant border checks between France and Luxembourg and France and Germany? Any information would be most helpful.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you mean leaving France for Luxembourg and/or Germany? FWIW my daughter had to take a Covid test upon arrival in Berlin (by train) and go into quarantine until she got the result.
In the other direction, towards France, they are reporting more border checks than before on the News, and, according to the French Minister of the Interior yesterday, the officers are applying the anti-Covid regulations more strictly.
I didn't note what happens for cross-border workers or long-distance lorry drivers.
To avoid searching and giving unnecessary info, why do you ask?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you mean leaving France for Luxembourg and/or Germany? FWIW my daughter had to take a Covid test upon arrival in Berlin (by train) and go into quarantine until she got the result.
In the other direction, towards France, they are reporting more border checks than before on the News, and, according to the French Minister of the Interior yesterday, the officers are applying the anti-Covid regulations more strictly.
I didn't note what happens for cross-border workers or long-distance lorry drivers.
To avoid searching and giving unnecessary info, why do you ask?
I may have to go to and from and was just interested to know how things are on the border.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I may have to go to and from and was just interested to know how things are on the border.
I’m in Strasbourg, right on the German border and can confirm that - as of last week - there are now very frequent spot checks on both the French side and the German side. I’ve even stopped slipping across on my bike.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 6:49 am
Just Joined

That's very interesting to know. Be wonderful when we go back to normal! Thanks for replying.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 9:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I’m in Strasbourg, right on the German border and can confirm that - as of last week - there are now very frequent spot checks on both the French side and the German side. I’ve even stopped slipping across on my bike.
As a matter of interest, what happens to the people taking the tramway over to Kehl?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

That’s a very good question. Neither I nor any of my friends have taken the tram recently so to be honest I don’t know!
They’re certainly stopping cars. And even cyclists.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

During the first wave last year, the tram to Kehl stopped, so I imagine it would be the same situation at the moment.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

The current weather must be a bit of a block for biking across as well?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

No snow yet so still cycling. Just not to Germany which is a shame because they have much better bike trails.
Apparently the tram is in fact operating but big beefy men in uniform are liable to leap on at any time and demand to see your documents.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No snow yet so still cycling. Just not to Germany which is a shame because they have much better bike trails.
Apparently the tram is in fact operating but big beefy men in uniform are liable to leap on at any time and demand to see your documents.
Documents to show that you've taken a Covid test and that you're negative? This is the reason for border checks at present....
My query was theoretical as I'm not likely to be going to Strasbourg, or anywhere, in the near future.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 5:56 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Germany is a long way from Spain but….! living near the Spanish border I frequently go across to shop. Yesterday, for the first time since frontier restrictions came in, I went to the frontier and before crossing into Spain thought it prudent to ask the gendarmerie positioned there if I could cross but more importantly if I could get back without a virus negative test. Without hesitation he said that it wasn't a problem, and so it proved. he did ask me where I lived and was satisfied I was local.

Maybe it is different at the German Frontier but it would seem that there are no restrictions for cross border movement if it is local. The restrictions appear to be only for travellers, international or long distance. It seems to make sense to the authorities at least!!! My own view is that it seems rather odd I can cross and return without needing a virus test but others can't.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KJMW
I know that Germany is a long way from Spain but….! living near the Spanish border I frequently go across to shop. Yesterday, for the first time since frontier restrictions came in, I went to the frontier and before crossing into Spain thought it prudent to ask the gendarmerie positioned there if I could cross but more importantly if I could get back without a virus negative test. Without hesitation he said that it wasn't a problem, and so it proved. he did ask me where I lived and was satisfied I was local.

Maybe it is different at the German Frontier but it would seem that there are no restrictions for cross border movement if it is local. The restrictions appear to be only for travellers, international or long distance. It seems to make sense to the authorities at least!!! My own view is that it seems rather odd I can cross and return without needing a virus test but others can't.
Thanks for this, most interesting.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 11:34 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this, most interesting.
Further to my posting: Talking to a shop owner in the village this morning and he assures me that there is an edict from the government that allows people living within 30 kilometres of the frontier to cross and return without a test. Apparently it is because so many French workers work across the various frontiers.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.